Do you guys build army bases in all your cities?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Personally i only build army bases in a third of my cities or less(those i intend to produce support units in.) The rest i put recruitment offices in and spam national gaurd for the first few days. So my army bases are never even used to produce infantry.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• PresidentKayneW wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

So Mr. Johnsen, how do you plan on building new infantry units once your starting ones get destroyed?
      You dont; needing to replace the starting infantry is for rookies. Just carpet bomb your opponents with an airforce until you get nukes. Problem solved.
      It is also widely popular to use NG instead of Infantry as your city-conquering unit. If you do this, you won't have to build as many Army Bases.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

PresidentKayneW wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

So Mr. Johnsen, how do you plan on building new infantry units once your starting ones get destroyed?
      You dont; needing to replace the starting infantry is for rookies. Just carpet bomb your opponents with an airforce until you get nukes. Problem solved.
      It is also widely popular to use NG instead of Infantry as your city-conquering unit. If you do this, you won't have to build as many Army Bases.
      Better to save up for some not-melee units instead of spamming the National Guard. (starting infantry is enough, as Mc_Johnsen had explained)

Also, army bases are necessary for the mobilization of artillery and AA, which is necessary to fight against a more competitive opponent. (unless you plan to focus only on airpower - when you run into SAMs, good luck)
    • Tzztzttztz wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

PresidentKayneW wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Better to save up for some not-melee units instead of spamming the National Guard. (starting infantry is enough, as Mc_Johnsen had explained)
      Also, army bases are necessary for the mobilization of artillery and AA, which is necessary to fight against a more competitive opponent. (unless you plan to focus only on airpower - when you run into SAMs, good luck)
      I never said to NOT build ANY bases, I just said you won't have to build AS MANY [Level 1] bases.

Of course you will still need (high-level) army bases if you want to make MRLS, SAM, radar, etc.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tzztzttztz wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

PresidentKayneW wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Are there more competitive opponents who don't use MAAs or SAMs? If so, why don't they use them? Anti air allows you to have air supremacy
    • I think that some contributors in this thread haven't realized yet that it's pretty easy to win a public game without mobilizing units like MAA, SAMs or TDS. And without mobilizing ground units other than NG. And without building more than a token (or none at all) Navy.

I've done it more than once.

My style/goal is rapid expansion that hopefully leads to a quick win.

My biggest advantage is being able to log in hourly or more often. Because of that I can micro-manage my Air Force and I can react quickly to other players' actions. That is a big advantage.

And, it helps that public opponents are often paper tigers.

So, FYI: It really can be easy to do. Not always, but often.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

T8.0 wrote:

Are there more competitive opponents who don't use MAAs or SAMs? If so, why don't they use them? Anti air allows you to have air supremacy
      ASFs are pretty good Anti-Air units that can take the place of MAA/SAMs, in many (most?) circumstances.
      I haven't needed MAA or SAMs in my public games (I've only barely needed ASFs).
      But using AFSs requires spending a lot of time online and always having an airport close to you, or am I wrong?
    • KFGauss wrote:

I think that some contributors in this thread haven't realized yet that it's pretty easy to win a public game without mobilizing units like MAA, SAMs or TDS. And without mobilizing ground units other than NG. And without building more than a token (or none at all) Navy.

I've done it more than once.

My style/goal is rapid expansion that hopefully leads to a quick win.

My biggest advantage is being able to log in hourly or more often. Because of that I can micro-manage my Air Force and I can react quickly to other players' actions. That is a big advantage.

And, it helps that public opponents are often paper tigers.

So, FYI: It really can be easy to do. Not always, but often.
      A<span style="font-size: 17.6px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.1);">h, ok, so you have fun with the game trolling noobs and not fighting against players who know how to play?
    • T8.0 wrote:

A<span style="font-size: 17.6px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.1);">h, ok, so you have fun with the game trolling noobs and not fighting against players who know how to play?
      WTH are you on about? I play against the people Dorado puts into my games.

I don't pick them. Dorado does.

As for whether or not those randomly-assigned, public-game opponents know "how to play", would you include yourself in the group of people who know how, or the group that doesn't?

What evidence backs up your assessment?

PS: I frequently offer in-game advice to noobs, and I always give it if they ask.

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().

• T8.0 wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

T8.0 wrote:

ASFs are pretty good Anti-Air units that can take the place of MAA/SAMs, in many (most?) circumstances.I haven't needed MAA or SAMs in my public games (I've only barely needed ASFs).
      But using AFSs requires spending a lot of time online and always having an airport close to you, or am I wrong?
      Neither one of us is contradicting the other here.

In my other post I wrote that I'm [lucky to be] able to be online almost continuously.

Yes, planes need Air Bases [that take time to build, are expensive, and often lie unused once your front lines move forward].

Don't forget to list these obvious facts too: MAA and SAMs need to be built (expensive and slow). MAA and SAMs cover smaller areas than a plane that's being actively managed. MAA and SAMs move slowly.
      Etc.

There are many complex trade-offs involved, but I don't think what I wrote is incorrect.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().