Question about Artillery stacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about Artillery stacks

Up until now, since I have yet to come across a highly skilled player, in matches I just spam MBT and Basic Infantry with a bit of ASF support. I’d like to start utilizing the shoot-and-scoot artillery strategy I’ve seen mentioned in other threads, anyone have suggestions of what a stack should look like?
    • I'll disagree a bit with Teburu.

It's not "that simple".

The number of SAM you put dictates your level of plate armor and thus your relative safety. You trade firepower with armor, to your heart's desire.

Confident players will put 3 SAM in stacks, to the risk of being very quickly killed by missile if they take even one hit without retreating.

4 is often seen as a sweet spot because it allows to lose one precious SAM while retreating. It's a humble design that takes into account "i'm good but i can fuck up".

Some do 5, they are highly cautious, or anticipate to be forced to endure casualties on the assault.

3 SAM tends to be seen as the utmost minimum in late game because it's 5.5 * 3, allowing to stop every single one Cruise missile. Problem : If they get hit once, Cruise missile go through.

Also, please note something :

MRL is needed only if the other guy does MRL. A bit counterintuitive, i know, but the reason why MRL is used in such stacks is the range (100). If nobody in front of you does any artillery (or any MRL), then please note that the Mobile Artillery is perfectly able, with a hugely superior efficiency, to fill that role.

In which case, 7 MA + 3 SAM would maybe be seen as enough more than with MRL (losing a MA is like losing an expensive infantry, no big deal).

Ultimately, even when people do MRL, they need to reach their potential at day 18 (T2, 100 range + Airlift) to be relevant. Before T2, the MRL isn't very good, nor very efficient. It's pretty common that we may begin with Mobile Artilleries In early, and transition in mid to field the MRL.

Remaining Mobile Artilleries can serve as retired coastal artillery, or better, be used as a "parallel army" to mop up AI while the important MRL focus on active players.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

I'll disagree a bit with Teburu.

It's not "that simple".

The number of SAM you put dictates your level of plate armor and thus your relative safety. You trade firepower with armor, to your heart's desire.

Confident players will put 3 SAM in stacks, to the risk of being very quickly killed by missile if they take even one hit without retreating.

4 is often seen as a sweet spot because it allows to lose one precious SAM while retreating. It's a humble design that takes into account "i'm good but i can fuck up".

Some do 5, they are highly cautious, or anticipate to be forced to endure casualties on the assault.

3 SAM tends to be seen as the utmost minimum in late game because it's 5.5 * 3, allowing to stop every single one Cruise missile. Problem : If they get hit once, Cruise missile go through.

MRL is needed only if the other guy does MRL. A bit counterintuitive, i know, but the reason why MRL is used in such stacks is the range (100). If nobody in front of you does any artillery (or any MRL), then please note that the Mobile Artillery is perfectly able, with a hugely superior efficiency, to fill that role.

In which case, 7 MA + 3 SAM would maybe be seen as enough more than with MRL (losing a MA is like losing an expensive infantry, no big deal).

Ultimately, even when people do MRL, they need to reach their potential at day 18 (T2, 100 range + Airlift) to be relevant. Before T2, the MRL isn't very good, nor very efficient. It's pretty common that we may begin with Mobile Artilleries In early, and transition in mid to field the MRL.

Remaining Mobile Artilleries can serve as retired coastal artillery, or better, be used as a "parallel army" to mop up AI while the important MRL focus on active players.
      Excellent, lately, me Mr. MRLS Uber Alles has been playing MA's to take advantage of their Euro Doctrine perks in HP and mopping up Infantry power. Even if your opponent in public games is using MRLS, ... A.) due to earlier availability, they won't outrange you until late game, and B .) they probably don't know how to use them effectively.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Opulon wrote:

It's not "that simple".

I’d have to imagine that K/D can rise/fall quite a bit utilizing this strategy due to the fragile nature of the units
    • ButterCowboy wrote:

Opulon wrote:

It's not "that simple".

I’d have to imagine that K/D can rise/fall quite a bit utilizing this strategy due to the fragile nature of the units

I would, rather, argue that this strategy is the most optimal for K/D as, in general, your opponent is either inactive or a mindless armor spammer, which will be easily killed by your artillery stack. Its benefit over air is that it isn't destroyed by anti-air (and also doesn't take any damage back usually), which even some idiots make... And thus, better for your K/D. Of course, air has the benefit of doing higher damage. It's a trade off.
      "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." - The Joker
    • rwt wrote:

I would, rather, argue that this strategy is the most optimal for K/D as, in general, your opponent is either inactive or a mindless armor spammer, which will be easily killed by your artillery stack. Its benefit over air is that it isn't destroyed by anti-air (and also doesn't take any damage back usually), which even some idiots make... And thus, better for your K/D. Of course, air has the benefit of doing higher damage. It's a trade off.
      Offsetting their vulnerability to AA, air units have the advantages of agility and reach that artillery simply can't match.

Artillery has the advantages (and disadvantages) that have already been described above.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Opulon wrote:

It's not "that simple".

This is almost exactly how I use arty in pub games. With the exception I have 2 sams in the stack and put in an infantry so it can take land as well. If missiles or lot of planes are in the picture I will keep all of my sams (normally around 8 total) to be in range to deal with whatever threat, I.E. ballistics, cruise, or planes, to deal a heavy blow.