What is the timeframe of CoN?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the timeframe of CoN?

From my PoV this game takes place in the 80s, (maybe 60s-00s)...
      So I agree, we should see YourSlavia
      Sorry, but your POV is wrong. There are many indications it is NOT set in the 80's, least of all the lack of a Soviet Union, but the biggie is just the name. Conflict of Nations WW3. Has WW3 happened? No? You say it's in the future (Now->)You have your answer.
      nothing makes a hypothetical ww3 in the 80s more or less probable than a hypothetical ww3 at any other point in time. My conclusion is more so based on the units and tactics ingame.
      Except actual history. WW3 did not happen in the 80's, therefore, not in the 80's, no Soviet Union, No Stealth units until 1989, no drones like in CoN ... no WW3.
      Sorry this disrupts your immersion fantasy parameters, but it is NOT the 80's, not the 90's, not th 2000's, but in the future.

Re: WW3 did not happen,
      We could debate the term and say ww3 did actually occur (like in Iraq or Russian invasion of Afghan) where stealth was deployed... future historians will determine this nomenclature.

Re: no Soviet Union,
      Personally I don't distinguish States in the US more or less than States in the EU or USSR, all three are part of a federation with taxation etc. The wall coming down didn't technically change as much as you're implying here, indeed some people argue the USSR still exists. They wouldn't currently be fighting in Ukraine if Russia was just a "state" like France or Germany. Good maps from the 80s would distinguish Russian states from Russia proper.
      Technically Tibet should be distinguished from China etc unless you're a globalist.

Re: No Stealth units until 1989,
      Technically the A12 and SR71 are stealth too btw, and they're 60s tech. The F117 was developed in the 70s and flew throughout the 80s. Even the F22 is 80s tech.

Re: Drones, (credit Wikipedia which has sources),
      In the 1973 Yom Kippur War, Israel used unarmed U.S. Ryan Firebee target drones to spur Egypt into firing its entire arsenal of anti-aircraft missiles. ... In the late 1970s and 80s, Israel developed the Scout and the Pioneer, which represented a shift toward the lighter, glider-type model of UAV in use today. Israel pioneered the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for real-time surveillance, electronic warfare, and decoys.[9][10][11] The images and radar decoying provided by these UAVs helped Israel to completely neutralize the Syrian air defenses in Operation Mole Cricket 19 at the start of the 1982 Lebanon War, resulting in no pilots downed.

I think your PoV on drones starts with Obama who first used them very publicly.

Plebs (like you and i) are usually at least 10 years behind. When actual wars break out stuff appears quite quickly which we wouldn't acknowledge we have (or develop) otherwise. Even when they're actually used, we may not know... and if you think I'm crazy, go watch Iron Sky to recalibrate your senses : )

Tangent from
      Why isn't Yugoslavia in the game?

For some reason when I select all and copy the opening tags are excluded.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Hakville ().

• Hakville wrote:

So I agree, we should see YourSlavia
      Sorry, but your POV is wrong. There are many indications it is NOT set in the 80's, least of all the lack of a Soviet Union, but the biggie is just the name. Conflict of Nations WW3. Has WW3 happened? No? You say it's in the future (Now->)You have your answer.
      nothing makes a hypothetical ww3 in the 80s more or less probable than a hypothetical ww3 at any other point in time. My conclusion is more so based on the units and tactics ingame.
      Except actual history. WW3 did not happen in the 80's, therefore, not in the 80's, no Soviet Union, No Stealth units until 1989, no drones like in CoN ... no WW3.
      Sorry this disrupts your immersion fantasy parameters, but it is NOT the 80's, not the 90's, not th 2000's, but in the future.
      Re: WW3 did not happen,
      We could debate the term and say ww3 did actually occur (like in Iraq or Russian invasion of Afghan) where stealth was deployed... future historians will determine this nomenclature.

Re: no Soviet Union,
      Personally I don't distinguish States in the US more or less than States in the EU or USSR, all three are part of a federation with taxation etc. The wall coming down didn't technically change as much as you're implying here, indeed some people argue the USSR still exists. They wouldn't currently be fighting in Ukraine if Russia was just a "state" like France or Germany. Good maps from the 80s would distinguish Russian states from Russia proper.
      Technically Tibet should be distinguished from China etc unless you're a globalist.

Re: No Stealth units until 1989,
      Technically the A12 and SR71 are stealth too btw, and they're 60s tech. The F117 was developed in the 70s and flew throughout the 80s. Even the F22 is 80s tech.

Re: Drones, (credit Wikipedia which has sources),
      In the 1973 Yom Kippur War, Israel used unarmed U.S. Ryan Firebee target drones to spur Egypt into firing its entire arsenal of anti-aircraft missiles. ... In the late 1970s and 80s, Israel developed the Scout and the Pioneer, which represented a shift toward the lighter, glider-type model of UAV in use today. Israel pioneered the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) for real-time surveillance, electronic warfare, and decoys.[9][10][11] The images and radar decoying provided by these UAVs helped Israel to completely neutralize the Syrian air defenses in Operation Mole Cricket 19 at the start of the 1982 Lebanon War, resulting in no pilots downed.

I think your PoV on drones starts with Obama who first used them very publicly.

Plebs (like you and i) are usually at least 10 years behind. When actual wars break out stuff appears quite quickly which we wouldn't acknowledge we have (or develop) otherwise. Even when they're actually used, we may not know... and if you think I'm crazy, go watch Iron Sky to recalibrate your senses : )

Tangent from
      Why isn't Yugoslavia in the game?

For some reason when I select all and copy the opening tags are excluded.

several units (F-22, F-35, etc) are from the 2000s, and the more "futuristic" units like the rail gun are from the 2010s, and UGV have just entered into mainstream service, plus the A12 and SR71 are not fighter tech, and the drones in game are from the 90s to the 2010s
      I may or may not exist
    • From my PoV this game takes place in the 80s, (maybe 60s-00s)...

A_Talking_Crab wrote:

several units (F-22, F-35, etc) are from the 2000s, and the more "futuristic" units like the rail gun are from the 2010s, and UGV have just entered into mainstream service, plus the A12 and SR71 are not fighter tech, and the drones in game are from the 90s to the 2010s

The YF22 was flying in 1989,
      I think that's where the red stealth quote was from. The B52 is still flying that doesn't make it 2000s tech.
      As far as UGV I'll just say the Terminator and Robocop movies were from the 80s, and we had higher expectations!

The original A12 was an attack platform,
      the later SR71 was adopted for recon.
      Missiles in the 60s just weren't very good yet.

F-35 yeah by name, but the design was based on a Russian design from the (dum dum dum you guessed it) 80s!

Obviously missiles have improved a lot, and the capability of missiles in-game are round about 80s tech as well (better than the F4 but probably the F14 had better tech.
      We could make multiple deep-dive threads into missiles alone, if they're smart some type of homing missiles will probably be introduced soon.

The aspect of torpedoes is totally missing, subs would be so deadly if they had actual relatively modern (like post ww2) homing torpedoes and sonar array etc.

PS please don't quote big blocks of text, unless you're trying to annoy me then that's effective : p

The post was edited 5 times, last by Hakville ().

• Don't overthink it too much.

The idea is that Tier 1 is "Early Cold War", this being wide and abstract, going from post korean war to vietnam war.
      Tier 2 is late Cold War, Around Afghanistan or the Gulf War.
      Tier 3 is post-Soviet collapse and modern world.

Again, don't overthink it too much, nor try to find justifications to some obvious historical holes. (Like the EU Stealth Bomber)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

The idea is that Tier 1 is "Early Cold War", this being wide and abstract, going from post korean war to vietnam war.

Tier 2 is late Cold War, Around Afghanistan or the Gulf War.
      Tier 3 is post-Soviet collapse and modern world.
      Interesting,
      I was going to mention the progression.

Again, don't overthink it too much, nor try to find justifications to some obvious historical holes. (Like the EU Stealth Bomber)
      if anyone didn't expect dorks to get into the nuance, that's their problem : )

@floppityflip & @DoD,
      That time the CIA made a Stealth Drone in... 1960
    • Hakville wrote:

A_Talking_Crab wrote:

The YF22 was flying in 1989,
      I think that's where the red stealth quote was from. The B52 is still flying that doesn't make it 2000s tech.
      As far as UGV I'll just say the Terminator and Robocop movies were from the 80s, and we had higher expectations!

The original A12 was an attack platform,
      the later SR71 was adopted for recon.
      Missiles in the 60s just weren't very good yet.

F-35 yeah by name, but the design was based on a Russian design from the (dum dum dum you guessed it) 80s!

Obviously missiles have improved a lot, and the capability of missiles in-game are round about 80s tech as well (better than the F4 but probably the F14 had better tech.
      We could make multiple deep-dive threads into missiles alone, if they're smart some type of homing missiles will probably be introduced soon.

The aspect of torpedoes is totally missing, subs would be so deadly if they had actual relatively modern (like post ww2) homing torpedoes and sonar array etc.

PS please don't quote big blocks of text, unless you're trying to annoy me then that's effective : p
      Tho prototype of the F-22 was flying in 1989, the mil couldn't use it til 2002, The Terminator and Robocop are MOVIES, not real life, The thing youre saying it was based off, the yak 38, the only thing in common is the votl, and the f-35s votl is more advanced, the missiles are like that because of game balance issues, and missile defense systems are still effective
      I may or may not exist
    • Personally I don't distinguish States in the US more or less than States in the EU or USSR, all three are part of a federation with taxation etc.

Zozo001 wrote:

Since your knowledge of the EU tends to zero, perhaps you should not include it in your argument?
      this seems like a tangent,
      but I'm willing to entertain it.

Please do go on, tell me more specifically what it is I do and do not know about the EU?
    • Hakville wrote:

Please do post what specific definition of the term "federation" you think the EU doesn't fit?
      You stated it is a federation, so the task is up to you. Your one criterion cited, that of taxation, is definitely not there.

More importantly, you brought up the issue of federation to support your idea that countries in EU (and ex-USSR) differ among themselves as little as USA states. This is just plain nonsense.
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player
    • I wouldn't even respond to this if it didn't have likes...

When I google the term "federation" I get:
      a group of states with a central government but independence in internal affairs

Here's the thing though, it's part of the English language. It's not like I google every word from every post there's a reasonable expectation that you will google words if you don't know what they mean. You shouldn't ask anyone who writes something to Google all of their own words ... it's wasting ppl's time.

If you have some specific confusion I'm happy to address it, but telling me to google something you clearly didn't bother to google yourself is just silly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hakville ().

• I'm afraid, that this, is the definitive word on the matter:

Conflict of Nations: World War 3 is a military-themed strategy game set in the late 20th and early 21st century, featuring contemporary battlefield technology, terrorist insurgencies, and weapons of mass destruction.

wiki.conflictnations.com/Main_Page

The phrase "contemporary battlefield technology" pretty much rules out the 80's.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

The phrase "contemporary battlefield technology" pretty much rules out the 80's.
      Not really - having followed the phrase "late 20th [...] century", this may well mean being contemporary for that time (i.e. include the 80ies).
      I think Opulon's characterization sounds spot on. In any event, over-analyzing the minutia of language used by Dorado (which is often vague or even deliberately ambiguous) provides no insight.
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player