Unit engagement

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hakville wrote:

floppityflip wrote:

Does asf even engage ground units unless explicitly told so?
      that's the claim...this is a kinda special situation tho.

I think asf is the only unit that has attack damage,
      and doesn't automatically engage from patrol mode ( i could be wrong)
      You are wrong; the Unit Description explicitly states which unit will trigger the patrol attack.

Ofc once patrol attack triggers all enemy units inside patrol range will get attacked.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Hakville wrote:

You are wrong; the Unit Description explicitly states which unit will trigger the patrol attack.
      Ofc once patrol attack triggers all enemy units inside patrol range will get attacked.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Hakville ().

• Hakville wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Hakville wrote:

You are wrong; the Unit Description explicitly states which unit will trigger the patrol attack.Ofc once patrol attack triggers all enemy units inside patrol range will get attacked.
      What am i wrong about,Can you give a single couner-example?

Display Spoiler

I think you didn't read what i wrote (l..y)
      or didn't understand (st...d)
      There aren't that many i could list each one here, most users probably don't need me to do that because they will go click the Details button themselves.

For one, you failed to delineate how ASF will patrol attack air targets…
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • PS, i checked again and there are two others (ASW and UAV 3+) so it's possible /probable if an ASW hits a submarine near a city with ground troops that they would be engaged.

Another caveat (which may deserve a separate thread) is Support. They have a separate section under research, and they have a separate icon in a stack. What's weird is that they aren't listed under patrol, only Infantry and Armor.

I would expect support units to be engaged by patrol, even though they're not explicitly listed... probably it would be better if the patrol didn't list Infantry (SOFT) and Armor (HARD) separately. I would expect it to just say "Ground" or list all three.

Probably support units are actually classified as SOFT or HARD, but then they really shouldn't have a separate icon. Don't get me started on season units or officers...

The only place i really see a type listed (under Features) is under Radar Signature, so is the Radar Signature the same attribute being used to determine if patrol mode engages?

The Radar Signature is not always true, when an aircraft lands i think it has a ground Signature but it's only listed as "Fixed Wing" (green)
      The AirMobile/Assault are listed as ground but I'd expect to see a green signature when they AirAssault. It's just an omission in the details, but it makes it hard for us to trust if the patrol mode of an ASF will engage an AirAssault.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Hakville ().

• Hakville wrote:

PS, i checked again and there are two others (ASW and UAV 3+) so it's possible /probable if an ASW hits a submarine near a city with ground troops that they would be engaged.

Another caveat (which may deserve a separate thread) is Support. They have a separate section under research, and they have a separate icon in a stack. What's weird is that they aren't listed under patrol, only Infantry and Armor.

I would expect support units to be engaged by patrol, even though they're not explicitly listed... probably it would be better if the patrol didn't list Infantry (SOFT) and Armor (HARD) separately. I would expect it to just say "Ground" or list all three.

Probably support units are actually classified as SOFT or HARD, but then they really shouldn't have a separate icon. Don't get me started on season units or officers...

The only place i really see a type listed (under Features) is under Radar Signature, so is the Radar Signature the same attribute being used to determine if patrol mode engages?

The Radar Signature is not always true, when an aircraft lands i think it has a ground Signature but it's only listed as "Fixed Wing" (green)
      The AirMobile/Assault are listed as ground but I'd expect to see a green signature when they AirAssault. It's just an omission in the details, but it makes it hard for us to trust if the patrol mode of an ASF will engage an AirAssault.
      You’re making it more convoluted than it really is imo.
      CON essentially has 3 different ways to categorize units:
      - in the Research tab (lets call that unit type)
      - in terms of HP (lets call that HP-type)
      - in terms of radar signature

I actually like the different unit types because it makes it a lot easier to categorize stacks based on icons with a simple glance.

as for radar signature: its pretty straightforward; a unit on the ground will get a ground radar signature and a unit in the air an air signature.
      You want to know if air assaulting units are valid targets for asf patrol? just check if asf auto-engages helis. (spoiler: asf auto-engages all aircraft on patrol)

As for it being hard to trust? The game literally tells you that grounded aircraft are counting as soft units if you hover over the icon in the description so ofc they will register as ground units. Im not sure if there is a similar description for air assault but there probably is.

In terms of units behavior con is actually consistent enough (a few exceptions ofc apply lmao) that it doesnt need to spoonfeed you every single little detail.

A unit looks like a heli, flies like a heli takes dmg as a heli? Chances are incredibly high it’s actually counted as a heli.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • @Teburu

So i can trust 100% that patroling near a LM with my ASF will engage huh? (probably yes)

I pretty much agree that the game is consistent, my complaint is more about the documentation. If you read the actual text (under fixed wing aircraft) it doesn't explicitly state that it will engage artillery.

I'm pretty sure I've done it dozzens if not hundreds of times, I'm just saying it is an omission in the documentation under research.

@MotherHen

Don't get me started on grounded aircraft, several times I've accidentally landed a squadron/wing in a RoW airport with enemy units and let's just say the stats don't work the same when they're grounded...