Province Border, Snap-to spacing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Province Border, Snap-to spacing

This post is intended to describe a tweak /improvement to the game mechanics when a unit stops near the Border of a province, this is pretty boring to describe and discuss but it will solve a lot of existing issues.

Current Behavior
      Currently when units approach the center of a province /city, if they stop then they will Snap-To province Center-point (STC at the center-of-province ). This is a point where vectors /roads converge. The STC seems to have a radius that covers about 10-15min ground unit speed on normal terrain, we may refer to this as the Snap-To-Center area.

If a unit is moving through a STC area and is given another Move command the unit may end up moving in the wrong direction on the current vector, a second move command will have a visible effect on the unit's ETA. The unit's position also updates, this is a quirk I usually appreciate (small advantage for active players). sometimes (for example if a unit is approaching an entrenched stack I'd rather not attack) this can prevent unit from moving away even if the engagement hasn't technically started (disadvantage for active players).

If a unit is moving through a STC area and is given a command to stop the unit will snap-to the center of province, also if a move command is given near the center of province it will Snap-To Center of province.

Suggestion A,
      The suggestion is to implement a similar mechanic functionality Snap-To Edge of province (near borders and city ports).

The idea would be to have two defined points near each border, where a vector/road/route crosses from one province to another.

Any clicks (for movement) between these two would be interpreted as one of the two. A unit moving across a border would not be affected but (on a vector)
      1, if a unit stops between these two points,
      2, if a user clicks between these two points,
      it would be placed on one of these two points (ideally the closest one on the vector)

We may want extra spacing ( between these two points) where there is a transition from land to water, or a city/port.

Issue,
      currently it can be very difficult move a unit into port, especially for a ground unit this can be identified when the info screen shows the status location of unit as in city (while in water on port vector) . Clicking (usually accidentally) just one pixel off (which isn't much with a fat finger on Mobile) will make the unit start disembarking (which is frustrating if that is not the intended action).

Currently the port icon is centered on this transition point.

Related Suggestion B is
      1, to move the port icon into the water,
      1.1, so the edge of the port icon is on the transition point.
      1.2, The snap to edge would be in the center of this port icon,
      1.3, any click on the port icon would move the unit to port (center of icon)
      1.4, naval units in port appear in city (current functionality, probably intended).
      Another idea would be to move the city area farther along water vectors like half way to converging center with other water vector routes.
      This is off topic, but personally i like the idea of having a building icon adjacent inside the port. This could be a good location for a coastguard station to control some coastal territorial water near the city. See Separate Thread(s)

There may be more discussion, references, etc warranted here but I'd rather post what I have than save it and get busy/distracted.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Hakville ().

• Hakville wrote:

This post is intended to describe a tweak /improvement to the game mechanics when a unit stops near the Border of a province, this is pretty boring to describe and discuss but it will solve a lot of existing issues.

Current Behavior
      Currently when units approach the center of a province /city, if they stop then they will Snap-To province Center-point (STC at the center-of-province ). This is a point where vectors /roads converge. The STC seems to have a radius that covers about 10-15min ground unit speed on normal terrain, we may refer to this as the Snap-To-Center area.

If a unit is moving through a STC area and is given another Move command the unit may end up moving in the wrong direction on the current vector, a second move command will have a visible effect on the unit's ETA. The unit's position also updates, this is a quirk I usually appreciate (small advantage for active players). sometimes (for example if a unit is approaching an entrenched stack I'd rather not attack) this can prevent unit from moving away even if the engagement hasn't technically started (disadvantage for active players).

If a unit is moving through a STC area and is given a command to stop the unit will snap-to the center of province, also if a move command is given near the center of province it will Snap-To Center of province.

Suggestion A,
      The suggestion is to implement a similar mechanic functionality Snap-To Edge of province (near borders and city ports).

The idea would be to have two defined points near each border, where a vector/road/route crosses from one province to another.

Any clicks (for movement) between these two would be interpreted as one of the two. A unit moving across a border would not be affected but (on a vector)
      1, if a unit stops between these two points,
      2, if a user clicks between these two points,
      it would be placed on one of these two points (ideally the closest one on the vector)

We may want extra spacing ( between these two points) where there is a transition from land to water, or a city/port.

Issue,
      currently it can be very difficult move a unit into port, especially for a ground unit this can be identified when the info screen shows the status location of unit as in city (while in water on port vector) . Clicking (usually accidentally) just one pixel off (which isn't much with a fat finger on Mobile) will make the unit start disembarking (which is frustrating if that is not the intended action).

Currently the port icon is centered on this transition point.

Related Suggestion B is
      1, to move the port icon into the water,
      1.1, so the edge of the port icon is on the transition point.
      1.2, The snap to edge would be in the center of this port icon,
      1.3, any click on the port icon would move the unit to port (center of icon)
      1.4, naval units in port appear in city (current functionality, probably intended).
      Another idea would be to move the city area farther along water vectors like half way to converging center with other water vector routes.
      This is off topic, but personally i like the idea of having a building icon adjacent inside the port. This could be a good location for a coastguard station to control some coastal territorial water near the city. See Separate Thread(s)

There may be more discussion, references, etc warranted here but I'd rather post what I have than save it and get busy/distracted.
      I don't think the STC was an intended "feature", but an artifact of the move processing coding.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD