Thought experiment

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thought experiment

Lets suppose all the players in CON were an actual army, all 15 million accounts. All players keep their current ranks.
      How well would this army do? I know there are a ton of current and former veterans that play here so it might not do too bad.
      There would definitely be a problem with there not being enough people at the top and in leadership roles.
      7 commander in chiefs seems a little too many and wouldnt make sense,
    • scott steiner wrote:

Lets suppose all the players in CON were an actual army, all 15 million accounts. All players keep their current ranks.
      How well would this army do? I know there are a ton of current and former veterans that play here so it might not do too bad.
      There would definitely be a problem with there not being enough people at the top and in leadership roles.
      7 commander in chiefs seems a little too many and wouldnt make sense,
      i mean all the user123456789s are one hivemind, so less infighting in the lower ranks
      I may or may not exist
    • The first half of the Army would charge machine gun nests, one at a time, and die.

The second half would watch a documentary film about the battle of Kursk and jump into their tanks.

The third half would immediately start working on stealth-technology catapults that cost one trillion dollars apiece (and they would finish their work while in POW camps).

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• I'll copy paste what i've written about this fun thought experiment on discord :

Well, we can dwell on the thought experiment, except we would have only the Monthly Active users at our disposal
      that would leave us, i think, around 300 000 soldiers
      the main problem i would see, as a part of top leadership, is that we basically have 3 000 - 4 000 professional soldiers, really trained, disciplined, and able to conduct complex operations without fucking everything
      they would be our operational brigades and the closer we have to special forces. However, we couldn't use them as special forces : they are what we have of "really professionnal".
      Beside that, we have 20-30 000 soldiers that know the basics of soldiering, but they mostly done so in village association, or personally on the shooting range. They know how to shoot a gun and target something in front of them, but their soldiering ability stops there
      they are proficient at shooting deers and drinking beers with buddies : they would flee at the first bullet flying above them, are generally unable to understand the concept of squad tactics, or generally dismissive of any hierarchy.
      And after, we have around 270 000 levy civilians which, with a gun in their hands, have as much odds to kill something in front of them than they have to kill themselves.
      If you order them to go from point A to point B even in peace time, they will become AWOL with a 50% certainty.
      This would be the state of our armed forces.
      Generally speaking, we would be facing huge problems in the leadership due to the 4 000 professional soldiers being very well trained in average, but often tied to the direct service of a general, many of which having different views of what the army needs to achieve.

Some generals would push for big investments into collective training, to turn the 30 000 militiamen into the bulk of the new generation of armed forces, other would rather see a bigger militiamen pool from the rabble, and others would be so content with the situation putting them as the "elite" that they would lobby against any change or investment.

In effect, we would be a very tribal unprofessional army with a heavy leaning toward refusing modernisation for the sake of not disrupting the statu quo .
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.