New Fire Control - Blockade

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Fire Control - Blockade

As the title says, I would like a new fire control to be added to the game: blockade. It would work exactly like the agressive fire control, except, it would attack any neutral unit as well.

This would be useful for blockading certain seaways, and could be used to fix the issue stated in ships for homeland defense - against not-at-war, it would attack any approaching ships.

It's description could be: Automatically engages all enemy and neutral units, postponing all other orders until combat is resolved.

• I'm not very familiar with naval combat.

If the Blockading ship behaves the same as an Aggressive ship does now when the Aggressive ship is face with more than one (enemy) target, I'm curious if sending a sacrificial ship to engage the blockading stack would allow other ships (the real attack force) to get past the blockader undamaged (or only lightly damaged if the sacrificial ship is mostly kept closer to the blockader than other ships)?

What do Aggressive ships do now? once they engage with a target, under what conditions do they switch to another target (if they do switch)?
    • I believe they will switch, hitting the nearest enemy unit. I rarely use it though, except when I’m offline so I could be wrong
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • KFGauss wrote:

I'm not very familiar with naval combat.

..., I'm curious if sending a sacrificial ship to engage the blockading stack would allow other ships (the real attack force) to get past the blockader undamaged (or only lightly damaged if the sacrificial ship is mostly kept closer to the blockader than other ships)?

What do Aggressive ships do now? once they engage with a target, under what conditions do they switch to another target (if they do switch)?
      to answer your first question,

You could use that to get close, maybe move to a side-path. If one ship runs into another ship they get locked into combat the same as ground units (with ability to retreat).

I think when they're locked in combat they won't attack other ships farther away.

Aggressive... idk I'm guessing maybe it will target radar /sonar contacts, i had SC but I'm often online (almost always) so i didn't mess much with fire ctrl. Seemed like ships would automatically start attacking enemy radar contacts in range so maybe that doesn't make sense.

The option to hold fire seemed interesting, like it could be used for scouting or something.

@floppityflip
      Interesting idea, my question is how would this work for example in the Panama or Suez canals?
      IRL they should be easy to blockade but maybe a blockade needs to be publicly visible, so that neutral countries can see it and get a warning (instead of accidentally moving into one).
    • Hakville wrote:

Interesting idea, my question is how would this work for example in the Panama or Suez canals?
      IRL they should be easy to blockade but maybe a blockade needs to be publicly visible, so that neutral countries can see it and get a warning (instead of accidentally moving into one).
      It could have like a grey circle on the map where the attack range of the blockade is, or it could say in the news.