Do You Ever NOT Play Your Best On Purpose to Increase Your Fun?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do You Ever NOT Play Your Best On Purpose to Increase Your Fun?

I do, almost all the time. I've learned a lot about this game over the years, ... which units to use, when to make what, how to utilize units correctly vs incorrectly, etc. So if I apply all my knowledge in each game, most would become a formulaic walk-thru if I applied it all at once. Not very fun. So, often I do many different things against my winning instincts, just to get a more interesting game. For example, in most games, if you get too big, too fast, it tends to scare off a lot of people who drop out and leave you playing against the AI. So most of the time, I grow MUCH slower than I could. And other times, I don't crush other players who might give me a bit of a fight. Take my current game for instance, in it, I have a bomber wing* that I could use to flatten all buildings in the #3 player's home cities, leaving him only to repeatedly build Army base 1 and only infantry (or more likely, just quit). But I deliberately DON'T do this, so he can continue to send more interesting units against me.

Anyone else?

*- Bomber Wing - here's another example of me playing at less than my best efficiency. I'm not only using suboptimal bomber units, but I've been primarily using them ineffectively to attack units instead of their real purpose - flattening buildings and being a missile platform.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dealer of Death ().

• Hmmm,

I have played less aggressively at times during a game to stage units or to wait for a research to be completed.

I have also messed around with different builds, strategies, tactics to experiment (or have fun with) and learn from.

For example, one recent BG USA game, I went with CRVs, Marines, NGs, & amphibious combat vehicles. No mobile infantry.
      I was unusually anxious about this at first because I was vulnerable if I was to be attacked before I got the Marines and amph combat vehicles ramped up.

Another game I went with Airborne infantry combined with airmobile combat recon, air assault combo.

So, not in the sense of how you explained.

One thing you said "when to make what" is an area I would like to dial in / perfect. For example, on larger maps, when to build and how strong of a build should my ASFs or SAMs be? I know I should / need to do these builds. But the "when" I would like to perfect.

I am also trying to dial in large map strategies / builds vs small map strategies / builds. For example, on small maps I have gotten away with not building SAMs, mobile radars (seems like a waste) or ASFs. In the back of my mind, I am thinking I might get burned for these decisions.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Im On Smoko ().

• Yeah, I do this most of the time…I typically get about 40 cities and then just chill for a while, allowing my enemies-to-be to get a chance to really build up their forces. This makes for some pretty epic game finishes, usually against the odds.

I’m like a cat— I prefer playing with my food before I eat it :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.