Announcement NOTICE: All good threads come to an end - SUNSETTING FORUM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• NOTICE: All good threads come to an end - SUNSETTING FORUM

Dear Conflict of Nations World War 3 community,

I trust this message catches you in the midst of an epic battle or a thrilling strategy session. Today, I come with an update that's bitter-sweet, but also exciting about the future of our community.

When we first conceived Conflict of Nations World War 3, our game's forum was the heartbeat of our community. It was a bustling hub of strategy discussions, unit analysis, and friendly banter - a place where friendships were formed and alliances forged. The forum was our very first social platform and will always hold a special place in our hearts.

However, in the spirit of progress and adaptation, we have come to a decision, albeit bittersweet: We will be closing our game's forum. This decision has not been made lightly, and we know that for some, it will stir a sense of loss. For those who have spent countless hours engaging in thoughtful discussions and sharing meaningful experiences on our forum, we offer our deepest gratitude. Your contributions have helped shape our game into the vibrant and dynamic experience it is today.

The reasons for this change are many, but it primarily comes down to the evolution of technology and community dynamics. The forum, while cherished, has become somewhat outdated in comparison to newer, more agile platforms. In addition, shifting our focus to our other flagship platforms like Discord, Youtube, and Reddit will allow us to concentrate our efforts and resources on providing the best community experience possible. We want to reassure you that this is not an ending, but a new beginning. We are committed to fostering a community that is inclusive, engaging, and vibrant on our remaining platforms. Our team is excited to bring you fresh content, engaging events, and a more streamlined communication channels.

We understand that transition can be challenging, but we firmly believe in the resilience and adaptability of our community. We encourage you all to join us on Discord and Reddit, where your passion for Conflict of Nations World War 3 can continue to flourish. Our team will be on hand to guide you through this transition, answer any questions, and ensure that you feel at home in our new digital meeting places. From today new registrations have been disabled. In the coming months we will set the stage to detach any links or forwards to the forum. For the time-being, we are still going to utilize the forum for updates and notices, but over time this will stop.

As we bid farewell to our forum, we do so with deep respect and gratitude for the role it has played in our journey so far. Let's honor its legacy by embracing this new chapter with the same enthusiasm and camaraderie that has always defined our community.
      Thank you for your understanding, your commitment, and your unwavering support. Here's to the memories we've shared on the forum, and to the exciting future that lies ahead on Discord and Reddit. We can't wait to see what we'll accomplish together in the next chapter of Conflict of Nations World War 3.
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

• keep them and let's centralise your work on discord / google drive. Many alliances would also accept to host your efforts and patronize them.

I'm sure we could organise something official on Discord side due to the depth of your work
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I used to participate often in one forum that had sections for serious topics, and another section or two that included headings such as "Chit-Chat".

Forum Mods could move both threads and individual posts from one section to another or from one thread to another, and they could combine or split threads that needed either action.

I noticed several effects:
      • Users' posts seldom needed to be moved because they knew the mods would be annoyed if the mods had to move them - So the users put things where they should be in the first place.
      • Discussions more or less stayed on topic, and when they didn't the Mods split and/or joined the affected threads to fix the fracturing and duplications that off-topic side discussions would cause.
      • Garbage one-liner posts (and garbage replies to them) got moved to the chit chat so that they didn't make serious conversations into messes.

Users could play virtual grab-ass, or talk about cool profile pics, or post silly memes, or play "think of a country that reminds you of your favorite beer", or whatever in the Chait-Chat section, but you weren't allowed childishly or troll-ishly ruin the other conversations.

And (when simply moving a post or a thread wasn't good enough to fix a problem) the Mods were fully empowered to enforce the rules, including deleting garbage posts.

Could we maybe hope for (and get) a useful discussion "space" like the one I just described to be part of this forum's replacements?
    • Stunned, yet not surprised.

@KFGauss I don't think you're getting it, Discord, Youtube and Reddit ARE the replacements for the forum

I'm sad the Big G couldn't make one more appearance to be the one saying this.

Discord sucks, too many idiot kids
      Youtube, bwha-ha-ha-ha, I got one word, Mellodias, ... bwha-ha-ha-ha
      reddit, a cesspool

:thumbdown: :(
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Stunned, yet not surprised.

@KFGauss I don't think you're getting it, Discord, Youtube and Reddit ARE the replacements for the forum

I'm sad the Big G couldn't make one more appearance to be the one saying this.

Discord sucks, too many idiot kids
      Youtube, bwha-ha-ha-ha, I got one word, Mellodias, ... bwha-ha-ha-ha
      reddit, a cesspool

:thumbdown: :(
      I'm aware.

I'm hoping that Discord can be configured to include BOTH a farm in the country where the idiot kids and failure-to-launch adults can spout nonsense and insult each other, AND a Server/Channel/Whatever for the mature kids and adults.

I'm aware that much of any online freemium game's business model includes pandering to the idiots, incels, keyboard warriors, failures-to-launch, and trolls, especially if they have a credit card.

I'm hoping that the business model is big enough to ALSO include some "space" that doesn't remind users of either a bar/pub with a sticky floor or the back of a middle-school bus.

I really shouldn't be dwelling sooo much on the negatives (poor salesmanship). But, I do want to be emphatic about my hope/request.

The post was edited 3 times, last by KFGauss ().

• Im On Smoko wrote:

What is the approximate timeframe for the shut down?
      I'm aiming by end of year, but it depends if we are closing the forum entirely or archiving it (leaving open for public view)

Tzztzttztz wrote:

Will we still have access to the old topics, or will the entire website be removed and the archive deleted?
      Best case scenario is we leave it open for public view

T8.0 wrote:

Do you still use the bot double counter for verification on the CON's discord server?
      No

KFGauss wrote:

This sucks for me and my motivations, but I'm not CoN's largest demographic.

Unless I perhaps become a beta-tester or somthing similar, a consequence of that suck ☝️is that this announcement is probably the death knell for the AA & Morale/Resource/Population simulators.

Drat.
      As Opulon mentioned, if we indeed go down the route of deleting the forum entirely, then we will surely save and archive some threads+posts by hand. If you have a thread you'd like not to lose then let's coordinate and make sure to backup your work

KFGauss wrote:

I really shouldn't be dwelling sooo much on the negatives (poor salesmanship). But, I do want to be emphatic about my hope/request.
      As you should, be involved in the way we shape Discord going forward. I want it to be a home to the people who have frequented here and to do that you need to lay out thoughtful pointers as you did.
      There is a plan to revise the Discord

playbabe wrote:

I hope the forum stay archived and not out right be deleted. many stuff here worth stay up due to the game not changing much

Teburu wrote:

But as PB already said; might want to move Patchnotes to Discord or something.
      Important for all to know - one of the main goals for me, if we keep the forum up in archive mode, is to make sure that in the unlikely event that somehow the forum is hacked, I do not want player registrations leaked. So, we are looking to remove and delete all registrations. If that is realistic and feasible then we can keep it up.

If not, then the entire thing will have to be wiped. First option is we delete player registration and info. TBD. No promises.
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations

• Yak wrote:

Important for all to know - one of the main goals for me, if we keep the forum up in archive mode, is to make sure that in the unlikely event that somehow the forum is hacked, I do not want player registrations leaked. So, we are looking to remove and delete all registrations. If that is realistic and feasible then we can keep it up.

If not, then the entire thing will have to be wiped. First option is we delete player registration and info. TBD. No promises.
      HMMMMMMMM, wouldn't that remove post and comment?
      What about removing login functionality (and report too) i'm sure web dev can figure that out
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • some (most) of the information i have learned from the forum i would have expected to find either ingame or in the wiki, i have not seen many updates to the wiki or ingame documentation.

I would have expected the forum to be the place where discrepancies could be identified, and addressed. I understand it's difficult to present a cost benefit analysis of these efforts, but i can assure any stakeholders that the attention to detail is recognized and appreciated by users.
    • Hakville wrote:

wiki or ingame documentation
      Right you are. We are going to be migrating much of the information and knowledge from the Forum, to the wiki. I invite everyone who has contributed to the knowledgebase in the wiki to reach out to us so that we can start the process. @MeLarie will be the contact point for this. (Discord MeLarie | CM#8113)
      Dorado Games
      Conflict Of Nations