PETITION: Save the CoN Forum! - Like This If You Agree

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PETITION: Save the CoN Forum! - Like This If You Agree

Everyone has probably heard of the big news today, that Dorado is planning to shut down the CoN Forum.

While we can still communicate with each other via other platforms such as Discord and Reddit, of course, the Forum is different from those. While Discord conversations tend to be very vague and underwhelming, the Forum hosts intriguing discussions about a wide variety of topics, such as specific nation strategies, unit pros-and-cons discussions, and players' takes on new game features and map modes. In the Forum, you can ask questions, suggest new features, and share information that will heplp other players. Usually, discussions on the Forum are way more in-depth than those on Discord and Reddit. Additionally, it is also way easier to find previous threads and discussions here in the Forum than it is with Discord's search feature.

In general, I believe that the Forum is very beneficial, and that even though it isn't used by that many players, it still holds important information about nearly all aspects of the game. This information can be accessed by anyone on the Internet, without even having to sign up here... whereas on Discord you can only view information if you're in the CoN server.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that Dorado should reconsider their decision to do away with this Forum. It probably doesn't take a lot of work to keep up (we already have several community members who gladly serve as moderators here, and there's still not near as many mods here than in the Discord), and like I said before, the Forum allows for some nice, in-depth discussions that you will hardly ever see on Discord or Reddit. Such information is vital to new players who would like to get better at the game and, potentially, will buy Gold or SC, resulting in profits for Dorado. If there is a shortage of team members, I would gladly become a moderator here, I have plenty of free time and enjoy helping this community grow.

If the Forum were shut down, I would still be a part of the CoN Discord community, but I believe that the Forum is a very important part of the CoN-munity. Most major console and online video games have their own Forums, where intriguing and in-depth discussions about those games take place.

If you agree with me, please Like this post. Hopefully Dorado will take notice and reconsider their critical decision.
      Judy Hopps, fearless officer, devoted to protecting Zootopia and all of its creatures.
    • Hello : while i feel you because i'm from the era of forums myself, but discord itself is evolving pretty much toward giving the same kind of space and specific discussions than in forums

Point in hand, one of he sub-forum in the discord, where you can join ongoing discussions. Agree, we lose the asynchronous side of the forum, but the discussion part is there as well.

Also, 326 messages in the discussion to debate the future unit.

The last 30 days, 1000+ different people have interacted, with in average a daily 3 000+ messages. Some are continous discussion that are reminiscent of a chat, but it's also a marketplace of ideas that is very similar to the forum. It can be buzzing at times, it depends on the room. It also facilitates heavily the anchors with the broader world of alliances, roleplayers (that ALL use Discord), as well as the languages, and most of the feedback loop.

Reddit is active, but less so in my opinion, while Discord is "the place to be" to interact with pretty much everyone you already know, respect the opinion of, or would like to debate with.

I'm biased toward Discord, of course, since i'm there 90% of the time, but you should consider the migration, and to take what you can.

The forum, while it served its purpose, has maybe, what, 40 active users including the staff itself... It doesn't really justify to continue to support it, even if i doubt they will plug it out. They will just stop using it, leaving it as an archive.

Your biggest good point is the fact a forum doesn't require to get into the server... Sadly, here, there is a bit of cynicism ---> Inbound marketing, to grow demographics and the social activity around the game, implies high incentives to have this kind of "want to be part of it ? join" system.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I would like to lend my support to this cause.

Reddit is a terrible platform, no matter which sub it is it quickly devolves into an echo chamber and probably about 70%+ of its user base are bots. There would be no meaningful discussion or community to be had there.

Discord could be better, but discord servers for games are usually pits of despair inhabited mostly by NEETS and teenagers. You mostly likely would not be able to have a discussion on Discord because chats will be spammed with memes or people randomely discussing the intricacies of communism, or the sandwich they ate for lunch.

Better to keep the forum where you can search for information more easily than on Reddit or Discord, and discussions are more relevant and silo’d.
    • DrFrasierCrane wrote:

... spammed with memes ...

... where you can search for information more easily ...
      <Soapbox>

Oh please, please may someone with half a brain read and heed that first excerpt. If you want to discuss something, leave your 6th grade taunts and any memes, animated gifs, or pictures of cute-kittens or white-supremacist-frogs, at home. Please, tell me BOTH that there is some way to create meme-free Discord discussion channels (or whatever they would be called) for serious topics AND that someone will implement it.

And - Well, we already know how I feel about the value of searching before being a myopic, rude, lazy, self-centered, waster of other people's time - Maybe Discord can enforce a pause before starting a new conversation, in the same way that the in-game Bug Reports urge you to check the FAQ before writing a report???? The pause could be accompanied (in a 50pt font) by the "Search before posting, stupid." line that Opulon wrote once.

</Soapbox>

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

DrFrasierCrane wrote:

... spammed with memes ...

... where you can search for information more easily ...
      <Soapbox>
      Oh please, please may someone with half a brain read and heed that first excerpt. If you want to discuss something, leave your 6th grade taunts and any memes, animated gifs, or pictures of cute-kittens or white-supremacist-frogs, at home. Please, tell me BOTH that there is some way to create meme-free Discord discussion channels (or whatever they would be called) for serious topics AND that someone will implement it.

And - Well, we already know how I feel about the value of searching before being a myopic, rude, lazy, self-centered, waster of other people's time - Maybe Discord can enforce a pause before starting a new conversation, in the same way that the in-game Bug Reports urge you to check the FAQ before writing a report???? The pause could be accompanied (in a 50pt font) by the "Search before posting, stupid." line that Opulon wrote once.

</Soapbox>
      LMAO....you seem upset :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Just advocate for the wiki to be updated (preferably to at least this year). Also, imagine those same meme posters reading a generic 2 page FAQ (...over a wiki....) to ensure the FREE bug reports they provide actually point towards real bugs (as if the game isnt chalk full of bugs after every production release). I hesitated to say this in the past because i didnt want to boost your ego but since the forum is closing ill say it: you come off as a Dorado Dev hell bent on explaining why all the in game bugs are simply user error. If you arent a dev, you DEFINITELY should look into being one :thumbsup: .
    • PresidentKayneW wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

<Soapbox>Oh please, please may someone with half a brain read and heed that first excerpt. If you want to discuss something, leave your 6th grade taunts and any memes, animated gifs, or pictures of cute-kittens or white-supremacist-frogs, at home. Please, tell me BOTH that there is some way to create meme-free Discord discussion channels (or whatever they would be called) for serious topics AND that someone will implement it.

</Soapbox>
      LMAO....you seem upset :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Just advocate for the wiki to be updated (preferably to at least this year). Also, imagine those same meme posters reading a generic 2 page FAQ (...over a wiki....) to ensure the FREE bug reports they provide actually point towards real bugs (as if the game isnt chalk full of bugs after every production release). I hesitated to say this in the past because i didnt want to boost your ego but since the forum is closing ill say it: you come off as a Dorado Dev hell bent on explaining why all the in game bugs are simply user error. If you arent a dev, you DEFINITELY should look into being one :thumbsup: .
      Bless your heart.
      Thank you so much for trying your best.
      Have a nice day.
    • He should definitely use your high saline output as a business venture, i agree. As for being a developer, hey, why not.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • DrFrasierCrane wrote:

Discord could be better, but discord servers for games are usually pits of despair inhabited mostly by NEETS and teenagers. You mostly likely would not be able to have a discussion on Discord because chats will be spammed with memes or people randomely discussing the intricacies of communism, or the sandwich they ate for lunch.
      There is a reason the Discord has various channels--ones dedicated to the game (beginner advice, game discussion, etc.) and those dedicated to "memes" or "the intricacies of communism" or "the sandwich they ate for lunch" (general chat). Being fairly active in the server, I would argue that the mods do pretty well in terms of keeping discussion on topic for each channel.

As a side note, certain sensitive topics, such as "the intricacies of communism," are not prohibited in the general chats either.

I feel that you got your impression of all Discord servers from one horribly moderated server. :/
      "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." - The Joker
    • Opulon wrote:

Hello : while i feel you because i'm from the era of forums myself, but discord itself is evolving pretty much toward giving the same kind of space and specific discussions than in forums

Point in hand, one of he sub-forum in the discord, where you can join ongoing discussions. Agree, we lose the asynchronous side of the forum, but the discussion part is there as well.

Also, 326 messages in the discussion to debate the future unit.

The last 30 days, 1000+ different people have interacted, with in average a daily 3 000+ messages. Some are continous discussion that are reminiscent of a chat, but it's also a marketplace of ideas that is very similar to the forum. It can be buzzing at times, it depends on the room. It also facilitates heavily the anchors with the broader world of alliances, roleplayers (that ALL use Discord), as well as the languages, and most of the feedback loop.

Reddit is active, but less so in my opinion, while Discord is "the place to be" to interact with pretty much everyone you already know, respect the opinion of, or would like to debate with.

I'm biased toward Discord, of course, since i'm there 90% of the time, but you should consider the migration, and to take what you can.

The forum, while it served its purpose, has maybe, what, 40 active users including the staff itself... It doesn't really justify to continue to support it, even if i doubt they will plug it out. They will just stop using it, leaving it as an archive.

Your biggest good point is the fact a forum doesn't require to get into the server... Sadly, here, there is a bit of cynicism ---> Inbound marketing, to grow demographics and the social activity around the game, implies high incentives to have this kind of "want to be part of it ? join" system.
      I get you like discord, but "discord" is a name so spot on, if it were an animal, it would be a leopard. Because that's what you get there, discord. While I have had many good conversations there, as evidenced by my 37th most activity on the CoN discord (as opposed to your 11th most) there is a reason I have almost abandoned it and prefer here. This place is much better at disseminating CoN information. It is much easier to follow a conversation on a topic as well. Not only on discord do you often have 17 different conversations going at once, making it often ridiculous to parse what goes with what, 13 of those conversations will be inane crap about furries, or Stalin, or just kids saying crap to be heard. I abandoned discord because of the lack of any redeeming virtue and kid based chaos.

I've never forayed into reddit, due to the cesspool I found when there.

Honestly, I love this game, but I have to say, something is going wrong with this company. About 70% of the changes seem to be for the worse. (eg having to roll cursor over unit to get breakdown of stack composition and that's IF the pop-up window that also comes up, doesn't cover it up) It's almost as if bean counters have completely taken over while formerly great creative developers drove the changes.

I rarely get maudlin, but this forum closing is the saddest change yet.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dealer of Death ().

• Simple wrote:

I do not understand why they decided to close forum. Forum is not the same as Discord, these are two different things, can't they see ? On Discord is just a big mess.
      NOTICE: All good threads come to an end - SUNSETTING FORUM

As for Discord being a big mess, are you using this third or fourth thread about the forum closing to suggest that the Forum isn't also a big mess?