How do you guys prepare to invade another country?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• KFGauss wrote:

T8.0 wrote:

Obviously I don't use agents for players in the early days and for those with low ranks, but only for those 2 or 3 against which there is uncertainty about victory because their stats

The players with good stats are the ones I attack first.
      Is it safe to assume proximity to your home country is a factor in determining which good stat players to attack first? Specifically in the early days of the game?
    • KFGauss wrote:

xovault wrote:

For many starting countries on various maps, my gut would tell me that my early-game units could move around enough to completely take down 10 countries (50 to 60 cities) in the first 10 days, especially if some of them (let's say 3?) put up any sort of a fight.

My gut has been know to be wrong - Which map(s) and/or starting-countries is this scenario playing out in? WW3 or something else?

In that 1st paragraph, did you mean to say, your gut tells you you "couldn't" move around enough that fast?

I only play ww3 x1. 50-60 cities in 10 days, I do it consistently with Germany. Simply because it is a powerhouse and due to it's proximity to all the city dense countries. All else being equal, the first target is always Austria because it's the gateway to the balkans & all the juicy clustered cities. Austria falls in approx 1.5 days (bit slower: terrain/1st invasion etc) but I'm into Serbia at some point in day 2. From there you can scoop cities at a very fast rate.

When EAA comes online, it's wiping multiple cities per patrol attack. Any country that is inactive, just gets NG spammed all the way through it so I can blob in multiple directions.

By day 10 I typically control everything from France eastward to Russia's border & then the motherland gets it. Around day 10 is when I like to start targeting Israel, Syria & Egypt too for the 2nd boost of clustered cities & to exercise greater control of the Med.

If people put up a fight upon being invaded, there's never enough activity or thought on their end to really slow me down that much. If they were problematic, sure it'd slow me down. If early on, there appears to be a decent player somewhere close, my preference is the diplo option and some kind of temporary truce so I can blob unimpeded. Slugging it out with them early when our power is roughly at parity is too stalling on the process. Once my econ quickly explodes and the power balance tilts, I can target them from a greater position of strength.

50/60 countries in 10 days, doable with Poland to and maybe some other European countries. Won't get these numbers, but I do well with Iran due to middle east and afghan city cluster and semi quick route into Europe. Chad gets to about 1/2 the figure if you focus south & are really efficient. Asia & the Americas suck for growth. They have some clusters but average city dispersion is too high, the terrain too intractable & is where momentum goes to die.

NG: They are cheap but come with the early problem of low hp. Resolving that problem quickly negates it's downside and you then have access to your cheap garrison army much sooner.
    • xovault wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

xovault wrote:

For many starting countries on various maps, my gut would tell me that my early-game units could move around enough to completely take down 10 countries (50 to 60 cities) in the first 10 days, especially if some of them (let's say 3?) put up any sort of a fight.

My gut has been know to be wrong - Which map(s) and/or starting-countries is this scenario playing out in? WW3 or something else?
      I only play ww3 x1. 50-60 cities in 10 days, I do it consistently with Germany. . . .

When EAA comes online, . . .

. . .

50/60 countries in 10 days, doable with Poland to and maybe some other European countries.
      Won't get these numbers, but I do well with Iran due to middle east and afghan city cluster and semi quick route into Europe.
      Chad gets to about 1/2 the figure if you focus south & are really efficient.

Asia & the Americas suck for growth. They have some clusters but average city dispersion is too high, the terrain too intractable & is where momentum goes to die.
      . . .

OK - With those caveats things are making more sense.

When I read your first post I was thinking you were telling us what everyone should be able to accomplish given any reasonable 5 (or maybe 6) city starting location and no elite units.

Instead, if a reader is able to snag a start in a prime location like Germany or one of the handful of other locations you mentioned, you've given them a both a good roadmap and some yardsticks to use measuring their progress (that can be adjusted for presence or absence of the EAA's benefits).

Knowing that, I think our two sets of advice have some differences, but aren't contradictory.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Ye 50/60 cities by day 10 I don't think is doable on average. I think it requires being a central'ish European country, targeting city clusters as priority and having an aggressive mindset. In ww3 1x at least, there's only ever a handful of "competitive" players. Odds are, they aren't on your border. Yet I mostly find cautious mindsets everywhere, incurring the time cost of over-preparation. In general, that's not warranted. In terms of over-estimating capabilities (which leads to extra caution), I used to do that all the time, until I realised what the general level of play is. I look for a few specific ratios in an opponent's stat profile as potential indicators of proficiency and activity. Lacking that, I just assume everyone is rubbish. Seems to fit the data better & more often than not, the resulting aggression pays dividends.

Even with all that, to hit those numbers, still requires skill in expansionist play. Namely well timed CAS, optimal pathing/timing & use of land grab units, insurgent management (esp important when maintaining bare minimum garrisons), good decision making and anticipation. In short making, every invasion as efficient as possible while maintaining an appropriate & contextual defensive/offensive balance. All while handling the geopolitics of the area. No denying EAA speeds it all up a whole lot more tho.