Island nations the worst countries to play?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Well...this is what I am trying to find out about, why is everyone talking about attacking a island nation yet saying that its hard to defend , "being hard to defend "== easy to defeat, unless everyone is asking how to do so because they've never done so , i still would like to find out what makes island nations so hard to defend/ hard to invade/ best nations to play
      I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island. If you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.
      That's a fantastic way to lose your HQ and rogue pops everywhere you conquered the past 20 days. Island nations are just all F-tier and anyone that disagrees is coping
      This is the silliest opinion I have ever read on the Forum, it would actually be funny if not for the fact it is the exact opposite of reality.Landlocked countries are clearly the worst.
      Without reading the rest of the 5 pages I have to disagree with you here. As Chad especially I have always done well. I generally have frigates at most as my navy but that doesnt matter because Im steamrolling on land with gunships or strikes.

In terms as island nations being bad I also disagree, as I have won solo with Philippines and have done very well as Japan and Australia with coalitions.
    • TheWildThing wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Well...this is what I am trying to find out about, why is everyone talking about attacking a island nation yet saying that its hard to defend , "being hard to defend "== easy to defeat, unless everyone is asking how to do so because they've never done so , i still would like to find out what makes island nations so hard to defend/ hard to invade/ best nations to play
      I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island. If you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.
      That's a fantastic way to lose your HQ and rogue pops everywhere you conquered the past 20 days. Island nations are just all F-tier and anyone that disagrees is coping
      This is the silliest opinion I have ever read on the Forum, it would actually be funny if not for the fact it is the exact opposite of reality.Landlocked countries are clearly the worst.
      Without reading the rest of the 5 pages I have to disagree with you here. As Chad especially I have always done well. I generally have frigates at most as my navy but that doesnt matter because Im steamrolling on land with gunships or strikes.
      In terms as island nations being bad I also disagree, as I have won solo with Philippines and have done very well as Japan and Australia with coalitions.
      I don't think any country is unwinnable, and when I said "Landlocked countries are clearly the worst" I meant because it is no fun playing without navy.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

TheWildThing wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Without reading the rest of the 5 pages I have to disagree with you here. As Chad especially I have always done well. I generally have frigates at most as my navy but that doesnt matter because Im steamrolling on land with gunships or strikes.In terms as island nations being bad I also disagree, as I have won solo with Philippines and have done very well as Japan and Australia with coalitions.
      I don't think any country is unwinnable, and when I said "Landlocked countries are clearly the worst" I meant because it is no fun playing without navy.
      Ahhh fair enough, I thought you meant they actually weren't good lol. If fun is factored in then yes they are one of the worst
    • japan samurai wrote:

so here is what made we ask this question, playing as an island means you are isolated from other players, not necessarily safe from invasions which can be made by dudes sending their army into you're coastal cities. But the main point here is, ships are expensive, hard to use for defence (due to hit and run) and also extremely hard to predict where the enemy would attack. Considering how if the enemy is skilled, this makes an effective defence of an island nation almost impossible as you'll eventually be confined to shallow waters for defending your ports.
      The other point here is that attacking by sea is extremely easy if you have decent naval units, which means that while you spread out you're ships to look out for incoming possible enemies, they can amass a large amount of naval forces and defeat you're units in detail, always outnumbering them and making quick work of you're well thought defences. ( any defences/reinforcements will also be outnumbered if no proper stacks of ships are organised)

So at the end of the day why do some of the other forum posts i find say that island nations are great nations to play, considering how hard it can get when it comes down to defending them against outside threats.
      Not sure if this was mentioned before (didnt read all comments) but I see few things differently.

First of all shallow waters. If your defense is all in shallow waters, you are in big trouble. Its good to have one corvette parked in front of each city to prevent infantry landing rushes but then your first line of defense should be in deep water. As somebody already mentioned - situational awareness is crutial. You can for example build ton of national guard and station them in crossroads in deep water to see incomming units (and better, make them wonder if they were seen ;)) - not ideal way, but its cheap signal system before you get something better.
      Do not fear deep water.

Second. Being island doesnt mean ships are all you have. On contrary. Its good to have decent airforce / ground force to support naval defense - ideally lot of long range artillery so they can help defend your cities and fight your battles once you are engaging beyound shore line.

Third. And probably reason why island nations are interesting. Its all or nothing. If your defense is breached, you are basically screwed. So its good to screw others before they do you. More action based countries than lets say Mongolia which I usually see sit there turtled pretty much for entirety of game. You cant turtle as island, you gotta fight.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Zefyros22 ().

• Zefyros22 wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

so here is what made we ask this question, playing as an island means you are isolated from other players, not necessarily safe from invasions which can be made by dudes sending their army into you're coastal cities. But the main point here is, ships are expensive, hard to use for defence (due to hit and run) and also extremely hard to predict where the enemy would attack. Considering how if the enemy is skilled, this makes an effective defence of an island nation almost impossible as you'll eventually be confined to shallow waters for defending your ports.
      The other point here is that attacking by sea is extremely easy if you have decent naval units, which means that while you spread out you're ships to look out for incoming possible enemies, they can amass a large amount of naval forces and defeat you're units in detail, always outnumbering them and making quick work of you're well thought defences. ( any defences/reinforcements will also be outnumbered if no proper stacks of ships are organised)

So at the end of the day why do some of the other forum posts i find say that island nations are great nations to play, considering how hard it can get when it comes down to defending them against outside threats.
      Not sure if this was mentioned before (didnt read all comments) but I see few things differently.
      First of all shallow waters. If your defense is all in shallow waters, you are in big trouble. Its good to have one corvette parked in front of each city to prevent infantry landing rushes but then your first line of defense should be in deep water. As somebody already mentioned - situational awareness is crutial. You can for example build ton of national guard and station them in crossroads in deep water to see incomming units (and better, make them wonder if they were seen ;)) - not ideal way, but its cheap signal system before you get something better.
      Do not fear deep water.

Second. Being island doesnt mean ships are all you have. On contrary. Its good to have decent airforce / ground force to support naval defense - ideally lot of long range artillery so they can help defend your cities and fight your battles once you are engaging beyound shore line.

Third. And probably reason why island nations are interesting. Its all or nothing. If your defense is breached, you are basically screwed. So its good to screw others before they do you. More action based countries than lets say Mongolia which I usually see sit there turtled pretty much for entirety of game. You cant turtle as island, you gotta fight.
      You CAN turtle as Cuba on Flashpoint. Your only threat is USA, and chances are he is not going to empty his country enough for a successful invasion.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • TheShinwacker wrote:

You can turtle as japan too. Russia isn't going to attack you unless hes dumb and the koreas are more focused on eachother and china.
      China might come to you when they finish off the Koreas, and the Philippines is not too far away either. Though you could go turtle with Japan, I wouldn't recommend it.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup: