Island nations the worst countries to play?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Island nations the worst countries to play?

so here is what made we ask this question, playing as an island means you are isolated from other players, not necessarily safe from invasions which can be made by dudes sending their army into you're coastal cities. But the main point here is, ships are expensive, hard to use for defence (due to hit and run) and also extremely hard to predict where the enemy would attack. Considering how if the enemy is skilled, this makes an effective defence of an island nation almost impossible as you'll eventually be confined to shallow waters for defending your ports.
      The other point here is that attacking by sea is extremely easy if you have decent naval units, which means that while you spread out you're ships to look out for incoming possible enemies, they can amass a large amount of naval forces and defeat you're units in detail, always outnumbering them and making quick work of you're well thought defences. ( any defences/reinforcements will also be outnumbered if no proper stacks of ships are organised)

So at the end of the day why do some of the other forum posts i find say that island nations are great nations to play, considering how hard it can get when it comes down to defending them against outside threats.
    • Don't those other forum posts include several that explain why the post's author preferred island nations?

This post and the thread that contains it offer you plenty of opinions, including many that touch on the specific topic(s) you named: Best Country To Play as, Let's Hear It (WW3)

To start us off on good footing, in addition to what you've already written, do you have any other specific disagreements with those players who like Island nations?

Would you like to make us all a list of "Pros" and a list of "Cons" (short phrases in lists) that summarize what's in those previous posts?

One point of disagreement might be that what you've written here focuses on defending an island against enemy attacks, while those other players might have instead focused on launching attacks.
    • Sure, i would love a summary of the main points of the pros and cons of Island nations and naval builds...
      One major disagreement with naval countries I see is that defences of the island is always diluted and thus would not make good defences, as a decent player would ensure to make the most of the weakness of island nation player's diluted defence, concentrating his forces and penetrating the defences.

However despite all that I still believe that having AWACs, RADAR, systems that give early warning would seemingly diminish this advantage. And as I haven't had much experience with this i am unable to support this idea and hence is finding more reasons and factors as to what causes island nations to be hard to defend or attack.

I don't really have time to look through a forum page that has a title called "Best countries to play" as it is simply too vague and has 8 pages. I still have other extremely more important things to attend to and if you could help with that pros and cons and other factors you can think about

KFGauss wrote:

One point of disagreement might be that what you've written here focuses on defending an island against enemy attacks, while those other players might have instead focused on launching attacks.
      Well...this is what I am trying to find out about, why is everyone talking about attacking a island nation yet saying that its hard to defend , "being hard to defend "== easy to defeat, unless everyone is asking how to do so because they've never done so , i still would like to find out what makes island nations so hard to defend/ hard to invade/ best nations to play
    • japan samurai wrote:

Well...this is what I am trying to find out about, why is everyone talking about attacking a island nation yet saying that its hard to defend , "being hard to defend "== easy to defeat, unless everyone is asking how to do so because they've never done so , i still would like to find out what makes island nations so hard to defend/ hard to invade/ best nations to play
      I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island.

If you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island. I
      f you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.
      That's a fantastic way to lose your HQ and rogue pops everywhere you conquered the past 20 days. Island nations are just all F-tier and anyone that disagrees is coping
    • Toooooop wrote:

That's a fantastic way to lose your HQ and rogue pops everywhere you conquered the past 20 days. Island nations are just all F-tier and anyone that disagrees is coping
      I disagree there arent very many island nations but the top two island nations are very good to play as.

Number 1: Australia
      Pros- A few easy ai countries available to conquer... You can move Capitol to Alise Springs making it hard for your capitol to be taken... New Zealand sit right below it and is fairly easy to conquer... 6 Starting cities.
      Cons- Big and spread out and sometimes hard to defend all the cities... After conquering new zealand you have to travel a bit to conquer other lands(assuming your in an alliance with indonesia)

Number 2: Indonsesia
      Pros- Ai countries nearby... Close to mainland(good expansion)... Not to hard to defend if you place navy right... Countries around it are easy to conquer(except australia)
      Cons: Almost all cities are coastal cities so navy is required... Surrounded by other countries which can end up being bad for you.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• TheShinwacker wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

I disagree there arent very many island nations but the top two island nations are very good to play as.
      Number 1: Australia
      Pros- A few easy ai countries available to conquer... You can move Capitol to Alise Springs making it hard for your capitol to be taken... New Zealand sit right below it and is fairly easy to conquer... 6 Starting cities.
      Cons- Big and spread out and sometimes hard to defend all the cities... After conquering new zealand you have to travel a bit to conquer other lands(assuming your in an alliance with indonesia)

Number 2: Indonsesia
      Pros- Ai countries nearby... Close to mainland(good expansion)... Not to hard to defend if you place navy right... Countries around it are easy to conquer(except australia)
      Cons: Almost all cities are coastal cities so navy is required... Surrounded by other countries which can end up being bad for you.
      Proved my point by pointing out the cons lol anyone can easily send a full stack of powerful ships to wipe out your cities like dominoes. Aussie/Indo are indeed F-Tier for this very reason.
    • Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island. If you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.
      Is that why I've never lost an HQ?

In fact I don't recall ever losing a city.

If I should have been losing them, I wonder why I haven't?

What do you suppose I've been doing wrong?
    • Toooooop wrote:

Proved my point by pointing out the cons lol anyone can easily send a full stack of powerful ships to wipe out your cities like dominoes. Aussie/Indo are indeed F-Tier for this very reason.
      Indonesia and Australia are usually forced to have powerful navies dues to the amount of coastal cities, and more coastal cities means more ships. Therefore if you attack me with your "powerful navy" I got my own waiting for you to arrive twiddling our fingers, itching to fight.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• TheShinwacker wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

Indonesia and Australia are usually forced to have powerful navies dues to the amount of coastal cities, and more coastal cities means more ships. Therefore if you attack me with your "powerful navy" I got my own waiting for you to arrive twiddling our fingers, itching to fight.
      While you waste all your ress on toyboats the landlocked nations are gobbling up all the VP. Still F-tier and massive cope, you will need 5 stacks on every coastal city 5-6 per? (that are hours apart in movement even for max cruisers) Good luck maintaining all those comp/elec cost, proved my point correct twice, why am I even replying u did all the work for me LOL
    • LOL
      I have defeated entired coalitions single handedly by playing as an Island. Being an island mean you can focus only on navy and become a naval superpower while your enemies will have to focus on ground/airforce troops too and you can easily wipe out their entire navies and all port cities. Any attacking aircrafts will fell like flies too by anti air of your ships.

I discussed my strategy to defeat coalitions as an Island nations in this thread

How can I win against an entire coalition while i'm solo?
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

I meant that the people who like islands might have written about how easy it is to expand from an Island to take over the world, not how easy is to attack/defeat an opponent who started in an island. If you are always the one expanding from an island starting location and killing threats (instead of the one defending an island from threats) you worry less about defending yourself.
      This is the silliest opinion I have ever read on the Forum, it would actually be funny if not for the fact it is the exact opposite of reality.
      Landlocked countries are clearly the worst.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dracula wrote:

LOL
      I have defeated entired coalitions single handedly by playing as an Island. Being an island mean you can focus only on navy and become a naval superpower while your enemies will have to focus on ground/airforce troops too and you can easily wipe out their entire navies and all port cities. Any attacking aircrafts will fell like flies too by anti air of your ships.

I discussed my strategy to defeat coalitions as an Island nations in this thread

How will this work against Afghanistan/Belarus/Austria/Kazakhstan/Mongolia/Chad/Bolivia/Congo? A naval superpower can't do a single thing against an in-land nation that has 2000vp from taking Eurasia-Middle East. Ships can't take any VP, and no one cares how many noobs you farmed off of in WW3 lol try that out in a real map and see how that goes "dracula" xD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

This is the silliest opinion I have ever read on the Forum, it would actually be funny if not for the fact it is the exact opposite of reality.Landlocked countries are clearly the worst.
      Cope harder if you can old fart, you have fewer wins than me and yet you joined in years earlier lol sit down.
    • japan samurai wrote:

so here is what made we ask this question, playing as an island means you are isolated from other players, not necessarily safe from invasions which can be made by dudes sending their army into you're coastal cities. But the main point here is, ships are expensive, hard to use for defence (due to hit and run) and also extremely hard to predict where the enemy would attack. Considering how if the enemy is skilled, this makes an effective defence of an island nation almost impossible as you'll eventually be confined to shallow waters for defending your ports.
      The other point here is that attacking by sea is extremely easy if you have decent naval units, which means that while you spread out you're ships to look out for incoming possible enemies, they can amass a large amount of naval forces and defeat you're units in detail, always outnumbering them and making quick work of you're well thought defences. ( any defences/reinforcements will also be outnumbered if no proper stacks of ships are organised)

So at the end of the day why do some of the other forum posts i find say that island nations are great nations to play, considering how hard it can get when it comes down to defending them against outside threats.
      This is not correct. There is many ways to search vast areas of sea or ocean without ships. You can use AWACS or MPA. In this case, MPA is the best option.

In fact, i don't understand how people dare to play without UAV or AWACS in any scenario. Situational awareness is the key for victory in any real or fictional conflict.
    • Toooooop wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

This is the silliest opinion I have ever read on the Forum, it would actually be funny if not for the fact it is the exact opposite of reality.Landlocked countries are clearly the worst.
      Cope harder if you can old fart, you have fewer wins than me and yet you joined in years earlier lol sit down.
      You should sit down and shut up hiding behind a different in game name no doubt to conceal all of your losses.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dealer of Death ().

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

You should sit down and shut up hiding behind a different in game name no doubt to conceal all of your losses.
      He probably grinds in 4x games
    • Toooooop wrote:

Dracula wrote:

LOL

How will this work against Afghanistan/Belarus/Austria/Kazakhstan/Mongolia/Chad/Bolivia/Congo? A naval superpower can't do a single thing against an in-land nation that has 2000vp from taking Eurasia-Middle East. Ships can't take any VP, and no one cares how many noobs you farmed off of in WW3 lol try that out in a real map and see how that goes "dracula" xD
      You are clearly a foul-mouthed idiot who utters nonsense without thinking. If you read the thread I mentioned , I clearly mentioned in replies that I defeated the no 2 ranked player at that time (not now) twice by this strategy, not noobs. You have mentioned few landlocked nations out of 64 , even these nations can be destroyed by launched missiles. Even in real life naval powers have dominated the world for last few centuries.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be