Island nations the worst countries to play?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• @Kaiservar

"You describe some situations, mostly ideal and not mandatory to be the same every time you play, thinking about America and inactive players. My experience is the opposite."

What you describe as ideal, I find to be typical in my maps. I find it rare to encounter actually competent, active coalitions working cohesively and co-ordinated as a team with proper defences and scouting networks. How we each define these terms could be different. For e.g. what you may deem competent & a challenge I may not, etc.

"i don't know if without it i can expand more quickly, i don't care about time"

I find this position odd because time is a cost. If you pay no mind to it you are liable to be left behind. If you grow quicker, and therefore have more forces than the other guy, this in part, potentially feeds into your ability to preserve your k/d, the thing you say you're manic about protecting.

"An island nation wil need a navy mainly early because a single corvette is sufficient to stop transports"

Corvettes can protect you for a short period of time but you need to shift off that soon. My bigger point was in comparing the cost of a naval defence vs a ground one and how much is it going to set me back in just getting going. Landlocked can be rushed sure, but early game the defender has the advantage & if you're smart about it, & unless you're being dogpiled it's not hard to defend. That you get some early game security as an island, to me is not worth all the drawbacks.

You say neither approach is better or worse but that's because you don't seem to be judging their use relative to some ultimate goal. If you set a goal, whatever it is, test both approaches, one will win out over the other over time. Without an objective, of course neither is better or worse, it then simply becomes contextual to your situation and particular circumstances. My hypothesis is that navy is inefficient to the goal of winning as quick as possible. You seem to instead argue for specific use cases which misses the point and doesn't address that claim directly. Arguing that navy is good for x or y is fine but misses the point.

"And yes, with Germany you can lose 2 of 7 cities and you could be competitive. Try this with France"

But that's why I'd never pick France, because we're back to wasting time with boats which runs contrary to my particular goal. One of the reasons I pick Germany is due to it's limited exposure to this stuff so I can just get on with winning the game.

"Ah, yes, now you will have ASF... well, i have my FIRST Sam barriage on my frigates that allows me to land my own SAM to protect my air and ground assets inner land. And we can be here looking counters to any that you throw, because ALL in this game have a "uberdog", there is no better unit for all, there are units better for some situations."

Yes ok you bring your SAM's and you bring this counter for his counter and so on. But the larger point being made here, is that once you're on land, he's the ground focused player while you're not. Odds are that he either outnumbers/out-techs you or both in that arena. He likely has the advantage there. Skill differential/allies etc change the equation, but I strip out all those unquantifiable variables to just focus on what we're fundamentally looking at here.
    • xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

"You describe some situations, mostly ideal and not mandatory to be the same every time you play, thinking about America and inactive players. My experience is the opposite."

What you describe as ideal, I find to be typical in my maps. I find it rare to encounter actually competent, active coalitions working cohesively and co-ordinated as a team with proper defences and scouting networks. How we each define these terms could be different. For e.g. what you may deem competent & a challenge I may not, etc.

I find this position odd because time is a cost. If you pay no mind to it you are liable to be left behind. If you grow quicker, and therefore have more forces than the other guy, this in part, potentially feeds into your ability to preserve your k/d, the thing you say you're manic about protecting.

"An island nation wil need a navy mainly early because a single corvette is sufficient to stop transports"

Corvettes can protect you for a short period of time but you need to shift off that soon. My bigger point was in comparing the cost of a naval defence vs a ground one and how much is it going to set me back in just getting going. Landlocked can be rushed sure, but early game the defender has the advantage & if you're smart about it, & unless you're being dogpiled it's not hard to defend. That you get some early game security as an island, to me is not worth all the drawbacks.

You say neither approach is better or worse but that's because you don't seem to be judging their use relative to some ultimate goal. If you set a goal, whatever it is, test both approaches, one will win out over the other over time. Without an objective, of course neither is better or worse, it then simply becomes contextual to your situation and particular circumstances. My hypothesis is that navy is inefficient to the goal of winning as quick as possible. You seem to instead argue for specific use cases which misses the point and doesn't address that claim directly. Arguing that navy is good for x or y is fine but misses the point.

"And yes, with Germany you can lose 2 of 7 cities and you could be competitive. Try this with France"

But that's why I'd never pick France, because we're back to wasting time with boats which runs contrary to my particular goal. One of the reasons I pick Germany is due to it's limited exposure to this stuff so I can just get on with winning the game.

"Ah, yes, now you will have ASF... well, i have my FIRST Sam barriage on my frigates that allows me to land my own SAM to protect my air and ground assets inner land. And we can be here looking counters to any that you throw, because ALL in this game have a "uberdog", there is no better unit for all, there are units better for some situations."

Yes ok you bring your SAM's and you bring this counter for his counter and so on. But the larger point being made here, is that once you're on land, he's the ground focused player while you're not. Odds are that he either outnumbers/out-techs you or both in that arena. He likely has the advantage there. Skill differential/allies etc change the equation, but I strip out all those unquantifiable variables to just focus on what we're fundamentally looking at here.
      @Kaiservar Muaahahah this stupid noob is going to try and bring helis to an MAA fortress when he assumed I'd even touch aircraft, don't need it when I can easily afford over 20 MAA for point defense. Assumed wrong just as he'd do it in a real match, what an idiot. If he really thinks he can even get aircraft carriers before Day 30 (I'm already above 1000vp with largest economy) then he is more of a noob then I thought.

Its necessary for you to invest into a naval force, for me it is a ground force. What takes VP? Naval or ground? hahahahaahah i win 100% of the time as my nations in Eurasia. SEND IGN for if u want to test this right now @Kaiservar
    • Toooooop wrote:

xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

@Kaiservar Muaahahah this stupid noob is going to try and bring helis to an MAA fortress when he assumed I'd even touch aircraft, don't need it when I can easily afford over 20 MAA for point defense. Assumed wrong just as he'd do it in a real match, what an idiot. If he really thinks he can even get aircraft carriers before Day 30 (I'm already above 1000vp with largest economy) then he is more of a noob then I thought.
      Its necessary for you to invest into a naval force, for me it is a ground force. What takes VP? Naval or ground? hahahahaahah i win 100% of the time as my nations in Eurasia. SEND IGN for if u want to test this right now @Kaiservar
      Now, say it without cry :)

And then, please, take your medication.
    • What you describe as ideal, I find to be typical in my maps. I find it rare to encounter actually competent, active coalitions working cohesively and co-ordinated as a team with proper defences and scouting networks. How we each define these terms could be different. For e.g. what you may deem competent & a challenge I may not, etc

Maybe this point makes you think that you don't need navy. If anyone is not a sea challenge, of course, why navy?

But this apply to airforce too. If anyone is not using ASF (very common) why build ASF? But that no one build ASF doesn't means that ASF are useless.

I mean that i don't have a personal challenge to achieve X quantity of cities in Y time. I ever expand, sometimes rushing, sometimes more careful, but ever without stop.

I have never handicaped because i don't play ground anymore (armor or artillery). I play air and sea and it is efficient for me. Sea assets was key for me because the ships blocked the enemy or allows me to kill cities and airforce before it harms me.

If i want to win quickly as possible, i will only use strikers, ASF and airmobile infantry, no matter if i have an island of not. Of course, this requires that i don't found a decent player in my way.

Bingo!

Fact is: you will ever be on a niche, because you look for a specific situation for a specific task that is expand in the shorter time you can. And you, of course, play in the place of the map where mostly VP are, but if you try to do this in America, no matter if you conquer it all (i done it), you need VP outside the continent to win.

If Africa or Europe is plaged with dog water, ok, you can send transports alone without problems, but this is a very specific situation.

You límit your playing to a reduced number of countries or zones with specific conditions (inactive players, noobs...) and that is right, it is your way, but this never means that the rest of the gaming approach is worst.

At the end, is a matter of circunstances and playstyle.
    • Kaiservar wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

@Kaiservar Muaahahah this stupid noob is going to try and bring helis to an MAA fortress when he assumed I'd even touch aircraft, don't need it when I can easily afford over 20 MAA for point defense. Assumed wrong just as he'd do it in a real match, what an idiot. If he really thinks he can even get aircraft carriers before Day 30 (I'm already above 1000vp with largest economy) then he is more of a noob then I thought.Its necessary for you to invest into a naval force, for me it is a ground force. What takes VP? Naval or ground? hahahahaahah i win 100% of the time as my nations in Eurasia. SEND IGN for if u want to test this right now @Kaiservar
      Now, say it without cry :)
      And then, please, take your medication.
      Lol looks like @Toooooop hit a nerve since you can't make a serious reply! :) he's right and I back his points up 100% whatever you're saying @Kaiservar is not how CoN works at all and its really clear that you're new to this scene.

Whatever works for you in your public maps would never work for a discord event or a tournament so I'd review your whole argument as a personal taste rather than what is actually meta! Nations that are forced to go naval are just bad, no matter what personal favorite you have, it just is.

Some like to take heroin and think its great, doesn't mean its great for everyone like what you're trying to say for your clearly issue-ridden playstyle. :thumbsup: @Kaiservar
    • japan samurai wrote:

so here is what made we ask this question, playing as an island means you are isolated from other players, not necessarily safe from invasions which can be made by dudes sending their army into you're coastal cities. But the main point here is, ships are expensive, hard to use for defence (due to hit and run) and also extremely hard to predict where the enemy would attack. Considering how if the enemy is skilled, this makes an effective defence of an island nation almost impossible as you'll eventually be confined to shallow waters for defending your ports.
      The other point here is that attacking by sea is extremely easy if you have decent naval units, which means that while you spread out you're ships to look out for incoming possible enemies, they can amass a large amount of naval forces and defeat you're units in detail, always outnumbering them and making quick work of you're well thought defences. ( any defences/reinforcements will also be outnumbered if no proper stacks of ships are organised)

So at the end of the day why do some of the other forum posts i find say that island nations are great nations to play, considering how hard it can get when it comes down to defending them against outside threats.
      this problem would have been fixed if players needed to make transport ships for invading island nations. Landlocked countries would be disadvantaged since to me for balancing sake you would need lv 2 naval base to make one of those. Naval countries could simply go there and bomb the naval ports. Of course at the start of the game island nations should have some transport ships so they can expand in the early days. But at the end of the day island nations with or without this feature are clearly disadvantaged. For starters you need to scatter the whole ocean to see incoming vessels. this means NPAs ships other kinds of radar among other things. Secondly almost all of its cities are vulnerable to invasion or bombardment even with a navy since you can have 300 cruisers but if they are on the other side of the world they won't be of any help...and thirdly you are obligated to make navy alongside a decent army and airforce. This means alocating resources to ships that won't be of much use to conquering since naval bombardment isn't the most effecient. Don't get me wrong navy can be a hugely strong weapon especially for power projection but the problem isn't navy in of itself but the fact that continental countries are less obligated or the more accurate term pressured into making navy than island nations. So this is my two cents on this whole dabte. What do you think?
    • LMAO!

olods99 wrote:

Kaiservar wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

@Kaiservar Muaahahah this stupid noob is going to try and bring helis to an MAA fortress when he assumed I'd even touch aircraft, don't need it when I can easily afford over 20 MAA for point defense. Assumed wrong just as he'd do it in a real match, what an idiot. If he really thinks he can even get aircraft carriers before Day 30 (I'm already above 1000vp with largest economy) then he is more of a noob then I thought.Its necessary for you to invest into a naval force, for me it is a ground force. What takes VP? Naval or ground? hahahahaahah i win 100% of the time as my nations in Eurasia. SEND IGN for if u want to test this right now @Kaiservar
      Now, say it without cry :) And then, please, take your medication.
      Lol looks like @Toooooop hit a nerve since you can't make a serious reply! :) he's right and I back his points up 100% whatever you're saying @Kaiservar is not how CoN works at all and its really clear that you're new to this scene.
      Whatever works for you in your public maps would never work for a discord event or a tournament so I'd review your whole argument as a personal taste rather than what is actually meta! Nations that are forced to go naval are just bad, no matter what personal favorite you have, it just is.

Some like to take heroin and think its great, doesn't mean its great for everyone like what you're trying to say for your clearly issue-ridden playstyle. :thumbsup: @Kaiservar
    • olods99 wrote:

Kaiservar wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

Due to the nature of most Public maps, many skilled players use different tactics then they would in more competitive AvA maps. These new tactics might be less efficient at getting the job done, but are usually more fun.

Anyways, I like playing as island nations in WW3, particularly Japan, but the thing is, you have to make sure nobody comes close to your home islands. Use TDS, frigs, ASF, etc.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • olods99 wrote:

Kaiservar wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

xovault wrote:

@Kaiservar

jajajaja no way. Happens that i don't argue with crazy people, i'm not psycologyst. Moreover, i just do a step ahead about his argument of MAA, so...

And about "heroine", well, i can play any country, landlocked or not and i will adapt to circunstances. I play with all that CoN give me and take that i feel better for my playstyle and ultimately, my fun.

Is for that reason that my conclusion is: is not worst, is not better, there is just circunstances. If anyone dont like navy or can't handle one, doesn't make useless the navy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kaiservar ().

• I don't buy the "navy can't conquer..." Many people in this forum plays only with the initial infantry or build some NG, so, what kind of unit are you people building that navy could strain your resources? A bunch of infantry is sufficient to take ground and hold while rogue menace dissapears.

Airforce can't conquer and nobody argues against strikers or ASF.

Artillery can't conquer, and there are many fans of them.

So, i think that "navy can't conquer" is a simplistic argument.
    • Kaiservar wrote:

I don't buy the "navy can't conquer..." Many people in this forum plays only with the initial infantry or build some NG, so, what kind of unit are you people building that navy could strain your resources? A bunch of infantry is sufficient to take ground and hold while rogue menace dissapears.

Can't conquer in the sense that it cannot kill land units unless in coastol cities and even then it takes a long ass time...
    • Kaiservar wrote:

I don't buy the "navy can't conquer..." Many people in this forum plays only with the initial infantry or build some NG, so, what kind of unit are you people building that navy could strain your resources? A bunch of infantry is sufficient to take ground and hold while rogue menace dissapears.

What I (and those people do) in public WW3 1X games is use our Components and Electronics to build ever larger Air forces (Mostly land-attack planes, others if we need them) (and Air bases and Hospitals) (and a few NG) (and sometimes a few ships) until the game gets to the point that what we mobilize doesn't matter any more.

The result is usually a quick success.

Xovault says he limits himself to starting in certain areas and plays for a solo speed-run win.

I am much less picky than Xov about where I start, and consequently I usually seek out an ally or two to compensate for my slower start (slower than Xov).

The approach isn't a niche approach.

The game is a real CoN game.

The game isn't an AVA game (Allies and opponents are "random" - There are no truces at the start of the game - Etc.)

Like many AVA players, Xov & I (and other similar players) are very active.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Kaiservar wrote:

What I (and those people do) in public WW3 1X games is use our Components and Electronics to build ever larger Air forces (Mostly land-attack planes, others if we need them) (and Air bases and Hospitals) (and a few NG) (and sometimes a few ships) until the game gets to the point that what we mobilize doesn't matter any more.
      The result is usually a quick success.

Xovault says he limits himself to starting in certain areas and plays for a solo speed-run win.

I am much less picky than Xov about where I start, and consequently I usually seek out an ally or two to compensate for my slower start (slower than Xov).

The approach isn't a niche approach.

The game is a real CoN game.

The game isn't an AVA game (Allies and opponents are "random" - There are no truces at the start of the game - Etc.)

Like many AVA players, Xov & I (and other similar players) are very active.
      I practice the same approach. In early games i tested armored units, but i don't build them, because i really don't need them. In fact, my assault unit are helos while i use strikers to do interdiction or opportunistic long range kills. This give me capacity to confront people who plays artillery/Sam combo.

I usualy build TDS mainly because there is ever someone who try to build nukes. Ships are mandatory because if i will go to another continent, i prefer to go with frigates/cruisers to negate the air space to my enemy, just if he have airforce. Another use is coastal bombardment.

And my approach ever is: gain air dominance or at least, air superiority. I never send ground units if i don't kill the air assets of my enemy or destroy his airfields, unless i'm sure i have sufficient power to cover my units while advance.

Of course, this requires activity.
    • I think this discussion is not about islands or not islands, but playstyles.

For me, it is plentiful satisfying when i kill a sea target, most if i use Cruise missiles.

I remember a game. My coalition was confronting another smaller coalition. The Best player or them was a lv 167 or so. He played India. Idk why, but he have a crappy Game, he Lost too many infantries. I suppose he was testing infantry charges, idk.

The fact is that we arrives at his lands. We steamrolled his allied (Iran) and reach his homeland. I was the first in reach because i built many airfields to my helos. I was playing with them because i was aware that the guy used MRL/SAM/Infantry combo.

Well, at the end, he doesn't have too much units of this kind, in fact, i never confront his "Doom stack", because he das invading China and Russia.

Of course, i destroy all his airfields and interdict his airports with my navy. I killed some units while they was in air transport route, i kill his aircraft... all with my navy.

But a curious thing. When it was almost finished, i move on to Japan to invade it. The player of India had a chinese coastal city and happened that one of my stacks pass just in front and... i saw the blue dots! An artillery stack! Mobile radar, MRL, infantry...

I like too much to destroy things with CM :evil:

It was a pleasure to kill these transports with my navy.

So, this is my playstyle, i modify it if circunstances requires, and i like it, so, for me, is not matter of if island nations are good or not, is about if you have fun with your playstyle.
      Files

The post was edited 3 times, last by Kaiservar ().

• Kaiservar wrote:

I believe that navy, Air Force and aritllery are all important parts of the game.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Sviltankops wrote:

I believe that navy, Air Force and aritllery are all important parts of the game.
      What will you say to someone who consistently wins Public 1X WW3 games without using artillery and navy units if they ask you why artillery and navy are important?
      They haven't run into someone who does lol really simple, send IGN for anyone who reads this and thinks otherwise so i can show u personally
    • Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Sviltankops wrote:

What will you say to someone who consistently wins Public 1X WW3 games without using artillery and navy units if they ask you why artillery and navy are important?
      They haven't run into someone who does lol really simple, send IGN for anyone who reads this and thinks otherwise so i can show u personally
      I've already read your bragging in your earlier posts in this thread, and I've given it all the weight it deserves.

In this specific context what you've written is 99% irrelevant because you didn't read the question carefully before replying.

You aren't present in most Public 1X WW3 games - Are you?

I'm guessing that you play in only a tiny fraction of them.

That means it will be possible to consistently win Public 1X WW3 games, probably for years, without ever encountering you.

I remain curious what @Svit would say.

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

Toooooop wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Sviltankops wrote:

I've already read your bragging in your earlier posts in this thread, and I've given it all the weight it deserves.
      In this specific context what you've written is 99% irrelevant because you didn't read the question carefully before replying.

You aren't present in most Public 1X WW3 games - Are you?

I'm guessing that you play in only a tiny fraction of them.

That means it will be possible to consistently win Public 1X WW3 games, probably for years, without ever encountering you.

I remain curious what @Svit would say.
      If you hit your bad luck lottery and do run into an actual good player, that is a guaranteed loss. You're setting yourself up for lower standards for a more simple win because of simple opponents. Someone like me on the other hand will always win no matter what because I do the meta every map. Haven't lost since I was a noob, even won my 1st 10x map against a golder as Chad. (can dm images for proof he spent over a 100 euro)

Of course you could consistently defeat one of the easiest player bases in the world, no one said otherwise. The AvA scene exists for a reason.

(kfgauss being the captain obvious with 0.6 post-to-like ratio, prob one of the reasons they're shutting down this forum for how embarrassing his behavior is on this site)
    • Toooooop wrote:

(kfgauss being the captain obvious with 0.6 post-to-like ratio, prob one of the reasons they're shutting down this forum for how embarrassing his behavior is on this site)
      Most of his posts is just him telling people to look stuff up on Google, even when it's topics that haven't been discussed in years. Honestly glad this forum is dying because people like him have ruined it