Good unit formation?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ivan Romanov wrote:

Hello all,

I have been playing CoN for over a month and a half now, with my very first game (as Poland on 26-player map) still ongoing.

Despite my conquests, I still have not figured out what use Combat Recon Vehicles and Mechanized Infantry.

So far my unit combos are as follows:

Land: 2 MBTs and 3 Motorized Infantry
      Naval Landings: 2 Amphibious Combat Vehicles and 3 Marines
      Airborne: 2 Airmobile Infantry, 2 Tank Destroyers, and 1 Towed Artillery
      Helicopters: 3 Gunships and 2 Attack
      Naval: 3 Destroyers, 2 Frigates
      Carrier: 2 Cruisers, 2 Frigates, 1 Carrier
      Carrier Air: 4 Naval Strike Fighters and 3 ASW Helicopters

So if I could get some help on:
      A) What's the point of CRVs and Mechanized?
      B) Are these good unit formations?

Thanks!
      carrier combo is the worst as both frigates and cruiser are vulnerable against sub ,better add 2 destroyer in the stack and remove frigates or remove 1 frigate and 1 cruiser.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • Dracula wrote:

Ivan Romanov wrote:

Hello all,

I have been playing CoN for over a month and a half now, with my very first game (as Poland on 26-player map) still ongoing.

Despite my conquests, I still have not figured out what use Combat Recon Vehicles and Mechanized Infantry.

Thanks!
      carrier combo is the worst as both frigates and cruiser are vulnerable against sub ,better add 2 destroyer in the stack and remove frigates or remove 1 frigate and 1 cruiser.
      Imagine using destroyers.

Only use them when playing as normal countries with not much coastal cities
    • japan samurai wrote:

Dracula wrote:

Ivan Romanov wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks!
      Imagine using destroyers.
      Only use them when playing as normal countries with not much coastal cities
      *builds subs*
      Enjoy rebuilding your max level cruiser stack.
    • My strategies involve a strong airforce/navy and I never have a need for any sort of land units other than national guard, Sams, and multiple rocket launchers. If you have a strong airforce/air defense you dont have to worry about attacks from another players airforce. And a strong navy keeps you homeland ports defended form enemy ships. If you have a strong airforce you dont need a strong ground force because your airforce can take out all enemy units then, if your me you move in national guard to take all the cities and provinces. This strategy plays for the least amount of casualties possible. Mix up fighters and helicopters though in case your enemy has Sams. This is my suggestion. Crvs are not worth the price you pay, neither are any infantry other ng. Maechanized are good pared with mbt and tds yes, but you dont need them.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• TheShinwacker wrote:

My strategies involve a strong airforce/navy and I never have a need for any sort of land units other than national guard, Sams, and multiple rocket launchers. If you have a strong airforce/air defense you dont have to worry about attacks from another players airforce. And a strong navy keeps you homeland ports defended form enemy ships. If you have a strong airforce you dont need a strong ground force because your airforce can take out all enemy units then, if your me you move in national guard to take all the cities and provinces. This strategy plays for the least amount of casualties possible. Mix up fighters and helicopters though in case your enemy has Sams. This is my suggestion. Crvs are not worth the price you pay, neither are any infantry other ng. Maechanized are good pared with mbt and tds yes, but you dont need them.
      While your strategy definitely works on AI or noobs in Flashpoint, and I can definitely see that working in a few situations, I don't think this always works.
      There's a few points where I think there is room for improvement.
      1.) Radar- the presence of an AWAC does not remove the use of Radar(awac cannot see infantry + awac is expensive and needs to be protected)
      2.) Motorized infantry > NG because motorized infantry you can leave it alone for a bit, playing NG requires micro management since they can't win a single battle.
      3.) "all enemy units then" while it's definitely true most people in public matches have no anti air, when you run into that guy that has frigates/sams... you're forced to use MRLs. While that works in alliance matches, definitely a lot of micro management.
      4.) What if your enemy has ASF? Praying your enemy doesn't know how to rig the timer is not the way to go.

Suggestions:
      - Add radar
      - use mot infantry not NG since they can hold their own in battle(which allows MRL to fire rounds)
      - Air Force is good, but don't make it your only offensive unit.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • I did not see ash KFG, thank you lmao

The Ewac wrote:

While your strategy definitely works on AI or noobs in Flashpoint, and I can definitely see that working in a few situations, I don't think this always works.There's a few points where I think there is room for improvement.
      1.) Radar- the presence of an AWAC does not remove the use of Radar(awac cannot see infantry + awac is expensive and needs to be protected)
      2.) Motorized infantry > NG because motorized infantry you can leave it alone for a bit, playing NG requires micro management since they can't win a single battle.
      3.) "all enemy units then" while it's definitely true most people in public matches have no anti air, when you run into that guy that has frigates/sams... you're forced to use MRLs. While that works in alliance matches, definitely a lot of micro management.
      4.) What if your enemy has ASF? Praying your enemy doesn't know how to rig the timer is not the way to go.

Suggestions:
      - Add radar
      - use mot infantry not NG since they can hold their own in battle(which allows MRL to fire rounds)
      - Air Force is good, but don't make it your only offensive unit.
      I do usually have radar, I forgot to mention that, and It is usually awacs(to not take up space in stacks) However I am going to disagree with using mot inf. over ng. Ng have insane defensive bonuses in cities, and urban provinces as well as a couple other terrains that I can't think of right now. They also move faster than other units. I dont have to worry about them dying to hidden units because my AIRFORCE and navy has taken out all units. Airforce is not my only offensive weapon, I use mrls quite a bit and navy. I dont usually care if the enemy has asf I usually target their airbase first(with bombers or strike fighters) Also a full stack of max SF can do a surprising amount of damage to Asf.

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheShinwacker ().

• Maxed EU SF vs Maxed US ASF(stacks of 5)

SF:
      HP: 150
      Damage to plane: 30
      Speed: 12

ASF:
      HP: 125
      Damage to plane: 100
      Speed: 16

I think it's safe to say that SF attacking ASF is not a good idea.

Even level 3 ASF does 12 damage to plane
      not even tier 2 and its double maxed Sf damage

also unless you had ground based radar you would have no way of making sure there are no hidden units
      awacs don't detect infantry
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • The Ewac wrote:

Maxed EU SF vs Maxed US ASF(stacks of 5)

SF:
      HP: 150
      Damage to plane: 30
      Speed: 12

ASF:
      HP: 125
      Damage to plane: 100
      Speed: 16

I think it's safe to say that SF attacking ASF is not a good idea.

Even level 3 ASF does 12 damage to plane
      not even tier 2 and its double maxed Sf damage

also unless you had ground based radar you would have no way of making sure there are no hidden units
      awacs don't detect infantry
      Ill give in to the Sf v. Asf I usually just use Sams to take out any enemy fighters. But for taking out all enemy ground units, if you drag your strike fighters or helis to patrol over a province it will engage any enemy units in that province till they are destroyed. so I dont need awacs for that.

• makes sense. just sometimes there's a couple hundred of those provinces so it'd make sense to use radar to make your life easier + get an early warning on ships and enemy bombers

also sams are not perfect they can be triggered by CMs/uavs which starts their cooldown
    • Ik but the enemy is almost never that smart. I try and stay away from fighting enemies who are stronger and more experienced than me. If I do have to fight them I use mobile anti-air sometimes. Or go blitzkrieg stile and completely abandon strategy and hit him with everything I've got before he can respond.

• The Ewac wrote:

makes sense. just sometimes there's a couple hundred of those provinces so it'd make sense to use radar to make your life easier + get an early warning on ships and enemy bombers

also sams are not perfect they can be triggered by CMs/uavs which starts their cooldown
      UAVs = easy kill, however experienced players don’t always rely on they’re offensive damage, more on they’re defensive damage/ defence (aka point defence)

Single sam stacks = best for offensive circle output as only the number of SAMs needed to fire on something will fire at it (on defence for sth else) allowing other SAMs to strike other things when its normal offensive cool down ends.
    • japan samurai wrote:

Hakaishin wrote:

*builds subs*Enjoy rebuilding your max level cruiser stack.
      Well go ahead, I’ll have my own subs and frigates to counter that. Not to mention all I need to do if you spam subs is to just build NPAs and GG
      That's a lot of components, research, and airbases just to have your naval stack of frigates outranged by subs and your naval patrol getting continuously pounded by anti-air. Cruiser spam only works when your opponent isnt prepared for it which admittedly is often... ||
    • Hakaishin wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Hakaishin wrote:

*builds subs*Enjoy rebuilding your max level cruiser stack.
      Well go ahead, I’ll have my own subs and frigates to counter that. Not to mention all I need to do if you spam subs is to just build NPAs and GG
      That's a lot of components, research, and airbases just to have your naval stack of frigates outranged by subs and your naval patrol getting continuously pounded by anti-air. Cruiser spam only works when your opponent isnt prepared for it which admittedly is often... ||
      Was I ever talkong about cruiser SPAM?
      what imbecile are you to tell me that Frigates and Subs together don’t work.
      Frigates are there to deter the NPAs and ASWs as much as possible while those subs are there for Damage Distribution and reduction.

Those NPAs are there to counter someone who only Spam Subs and are not actually recommended. They’re not to be implemented in every naval game strategy as part of you’re build.
      — if you sre someone building Cruisers you’re most probably a nation focusing on navy a lot, thus the mention of “frigate and atk sub” stacks in my post
      —if not this would mean that the person is simply researched it as some form of anti Ship and shore bombardment to supplement his strong ground and air forces. ( This would lead to player most of the time researching ASW heli to counter Frigs and Subs if person is decent and good).

Cruisers are one of the best ships , but simply put atk subs are very comparable, they do the war of attrition much better and are easier to research and make if you have rares to spare.

P.S. man said Atk Sub spam, not Sub and frigate spam, so don’t come and BS me about anti air protection because AA protection will only come from AA on ground like SAMs which will mean you’re using subs in shallow water. (Even So, NPAs will do trade pretty well), not best but counters some Frigate defence