Patrolling Air Superiority Fighters Destroyed by Strike Fighters?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Patrolling Air Superiority Fighters Destroyed by Strike Fighters?

So I'm in a game wherein I'm Iran, and I'm fighting with India over possession of Pakistan. I have two units of Level 1 Air Superiority Fighters patrolling separately over by advance forces, which have stopped in a Pakistani province after taking control of it. An Indian Level 1 Strike Fighter unit is running strikes on my ground forces, and though the Strike Fighter seems to be taking damage, it seems to be coming exclusively from the ground units that it's attacking.

Meanwhile, every time the Strike Fighter hits my ground troops, my patrolling Air Superiority Fighters take full damage as though the attack was directed specifically at them.

Three strikes later, both of my patrol fighters are almost dead, so I send one back to base and leave the other to patrol. I test a theory by waiting for the Strike Fighter to come into radar range, and send my Air Superiority Fighter after it as soon as it gets close; when my Air Superiority Fighter completely its attack, the Strike Fighter takes full damage.

So the question here is: is the Patrol function on aircraft useless for anything but detection? Because if so, that makes the Air Superiority Fighter basically redundant for anything except rapid reconnaissance.

I've played a lot of Call of War, so I know that in that game, patrolling aircraft could do 25% of their regular attacks every 15 minutes while patrolling; but if that's the case here, then that really does jack against planes that are coming and going within five minutes.
      "Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky."
      ― Arcade Mode, Ace Combat Five: The Unsung War
    • Good to hear, thanks for the response.

And a quick amendment: After further playtesting, my patrolling Air Superiority Fighters did about 1 HP of damage to a fighter passing through their radius, and in the case of a Strike Fighter of equal level, received about 1 HP of damage in return due to the Strike Fighter's fairly high Jet defense. Which actually strikes me as fairly unbalanced, but that's another qualm entirely, and the initial question of underpowered fighter patrols stands.
      "Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky."
    • DxC wrote:

I have not noticed this. When I've had patrols with their patrol circle over ground target they have done lots of damage to planes sending air strikes at those ground targets. You probably know this but the patrol radius is much smaller than the radar radius.
      Yes, I am aware of this. This is just one instance that I've observed, so it might just be a situational/terrain bug; most of my meager early-game air force was wiped out by it, though, so I'm having to wait before I can test it further.
    • Hello cipher

You will find I've also been sending sets of 4 air superiority fighters at those fighters of yours.

There are also fighters from Japan and Mexico based in India that will probably have been attacking them (assuming they were true to their word)

The strike fighter took a lot of damage and is off being repaired as we speak...

Xao.
    • I never had issues like that and on every map I'm using lots and lots of airforce. Already found out the golden stack equation too ^^
      Maybe when you where offline those planes, or others the AI had retaliated, I noticed that they do this allot. And mid game it looks like they have a few planes only, though when you investigate by hovering planes or awacs around the cities you suddenly find that an AI can have 7-8 fighters easily, moving them around from city to city too. The AI in that regard is pretty good. It also tends to draw your attacking planes to his cities where it suddenly starts patrolling his own fighters over his city where usually there's some mobile AA located. (have not seen any sams yet made by AI though)
      - Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world -