Military unit sizes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Military unit sizes

Hi all CoN players, I have to say some critics about military unit sizes in CoN.

When I move 2 batallions into 1 place, the unit is called a batallion (It should be called a regiment now). When I move 3 batallions into 1 place, the unit is called a division!!! Have you ever seen or heard about a division that is made from 3 batallions? Some players may not understand so I'll explain it:

Batallion today is a military unit that is made from 200-1000 soldiers (In my opinion typic batallion is 700-800 soldiers)
      Division is a military unit from 10000 to 20000 so how CoN creators see 2000 or 1600 soldiers as a division???

So here's my suggestion:
      Unit that is made from 2 batallions should be called Regiment.
      Unit that is made from 3 to 10 batallions (very big brigade, for example: 1st brigade in serbian army is made from 10 batallions). Unit that is made 10+ batallions should be called division. I won't talk about bigger units like corps because what kind of player will put more than 50 batallions or regiments into one place???
      Unit that is made from 2 to 5 regiments should be called Brigade.
      Unit that is made 5+ regiments or with aditional batallions should be called division.

Here's examples of my suggestion:

I move 1 main battle tank regiment and 3 infantry batallions into one place, so it turns into a brigade,
      I move 4 mobile anti air regiments and 3 infantry batallions into one place, so it turns into a division.
      I move 11 infantry batallions into one place, so it turns into a division.

What do you think guys? Do you agree with my idea? Waiting for your answers.
      8)

''The person, who doesn't defend freedom is not worth for it!'' (lithuanian partisans in the guerrilla war against Soviet Union)
    • Please note that unit sizes can vary greatly across nations.
      This is not a sim and we have to live with some of the restrictions of the former games. At least for the time being.
      Presently the game only supports two sizes - which is really not optimal.

Here's our "wishlist" of sorts:

• NOT USED IN CON : PLATOON – 16 to 44 soldiers. A platoon is led by a lieutenant with an NCO as second in command, and consists of two to four squads or sections.
      • NOT USED IN CON : COMPANY – 62 to 190 soldiers. Three to five platoons form a company, which is commanded by a captain with a first sergeant as the commander’s principal NCO assistant. An artillery unit of equivalent size is called a battery, and a comparable armored or air cavalry unit is called a troop.
      • BATTALION – 300 to 1,000 soldiers. Four to six companies make up a battalion, which is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel with a command sergeant major as principal NCO assistant. A battalion is capable of independent operations of limited duration and scope. An armored or air cavalry unit of equivalent size is called a squadron.
      • BRIGADE / Regiment / Group – 3,000 to 5,000 soldiers. A brigade headquarters commands the tactical operations of two to five organic or attached combat battalions. Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO, brigades are employed on independent or semi-independent operations. Armored, cavalry, ranger and Special Forces units this size are categorized as regiments or groups.
      • DIVISION – 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers. Usually consisting of three brigade-sized elements and commanded by a major general, divisions are numbered and assigned missions based on their structures. The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.
      • NOT USED IN CON : CORPS – 20,000 to 45,000 soldiers. Two to five divisions constitute a corps, which is typically commanded by a lieutenant general. As the deployable level of command required to synchronize and sustain combat operations, the corps provides the framework for multi-national operations.
      • NOT USED IN CON : ARMY – 50,000+ soldiers. Typically commanded by a lieutenant general or higher, an army combines two or more corps. A theater army is the ranking Army component in a unified command, and it has operational and support responsibilities that are assigned by the theater commander in chief. The commander in chief and theater army commander may order formation of a field army to direct operations of assigned corps and divisions. An army group plans and directs campaigns in a theater, and is composed of two or more field armies under a designated commander. Army groups have not been employed by the Army since World War II.

So rest assured, we very well understand the differences between regiments, brigades, batallions and divisions, but we have more important stuff right now so yes it is on our list of fixes but not with priority I must confess. If we find time I would obviously like to change it as it hurts my mil-simmer eyes as well ;)

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 1 time, last by Germanico ().