Danger Close!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Danger Close!!

An issue a few of my friends and I who play the game have discussed imbalance of helis and strike fighters in this game. In reality, the sluggishness of helicopters is made up by being able to provide extensive close air support for long periods of time, while jets fly by, drop payloads, and return home. However, game mechanics severely limit the Helis. So, I propose (while I realize that it'll be a monster of a code) that if ground units are engaged:
      -strike fighters and other fixed wing bombers can deal friendly fire due to the intensiveness of their fire
      -friendly helis patrolling above do not deal friendly fire and deal increased damage with friendly units engaging an enemy due to ground forces being able to call out enemy positions, and enemy ground-to-ground fire revealing their positions
    • xbronykillerx69 wrote:

However, game mechanics severely limit the Helis.
      How so?

xbronykillerx69 wrote:

-strike fighters and other fixed wing bombers can deal friendly fire due to the intensiveness of their fire
      Not really realistic. Everything is coordinated in modern warfare, there's very little possibility of friendly fire.

#GoForThe18th
    • Mostly speed, range, and the fact that an attack is more of 1 strafing run, when in reality a helicopter hovers for quite a bit in support of ground units, so, the patrol option makes sense. However, with how much of a sitting duck a helicopter is while on patrol to fighters, this makes that option not much of one without air superiority, and even then, the enemy can just construct a plane in range and send em off and their speed and range will make pulling your helicopter out of danger be impossible.

Friendly fire was an eh idea in my head, too, don't know how to make air support for engaged ground units swing more into favor of being helicopters, though
    • DxC wrote:

The friendly fire idea is interesting but really to make heli's useful we just need to weaken anti-heli defense of ground units.
      I guess we could, but it wouldn't be realistic. After all, a Stinger can knock down even a Hind, as the Russians discovered in Afghanistan. I think that to buff them we should increase hover time, but little else. They're pretty useful already,

#GoForThe18th
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

DxC wrote:

The friendly fire idea is interesting but really to make heli's useful we just need to weaken anti-heli defense of ground units.
      I guess we could, but it wouldn't be realistic. After all, a Stinger can knock down even a Hind, as the Russians discovered in Afghanistan. I think that to buff them we should increase hover time, but little else. They're pretty useful already,
      haha good luck hitting something that isn't an effing transport heli. It's called a monster because of its size. As you see on Youtube, ISIS and rebels don't have a very easy time hitting helicopters with stingers. Because stingers aren't just lock, click, hit. It requires skill and patience to take a down a helicopter with a MANPAD.
    • Germanico wrote:

Heli's can be quite useful. Their speed got buffed, their damage got buffed. They do less damage among pop and buildings.
      Useful, sure, used a bit more exaggerated terms when I tried convincing, just wanted to balance a tad more. With current game mechanics, besides dealing less damage to the city you're about to conquer, Helis are outclassed due to having less speed, range, and effectiveness against air-to-air and ground-to-air incoming threats than Jets. This is fine, though, considering that it isn't their strength, precision attacks that deal less damage to a city shows that well, but an increase in this strength'll make them shine, such as dealing bonus damage in patrol mode in support of ground units a they support them in reality, or increasing the penalty on using fighter jets for using them with units in the area by making friendly fire possible so that helis are in more demand at that point
    • ProfessionalF wrote:

haha good luck hitting something that isn't an effing transport heli. It's called a monster because of its size. As you see on Youtube, ISIS and rebels don't have a very easy time hitting helicopters with stingers. Because stingers aren't just lock, click, hit. It requires skill and patience to take a down a helicopter with a MANPAD.
      If not a Stinger one of those Russia SAMs. They say they're pretty good.

#GoForThe18th
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

ProfessionalF wrote:

If not a Stinger one of those Russia SAMs. They say they're pretty good.
      I was talking MANPADs in general, not literally just stingers.
    • Interesting - I also don't use them tbh. but they have one "hidden" feature making them quite strong in connection with tanks or valuable units. Mechanized are Damage Soakers or in RPG terminology "tanks".
      Every unit in CON has a value defining it's relative damage area vs another unit: large or vulnerable units have high damage areas (eg. tanks).
      Tanks drawing lots of fire due to their value and size can benefit from taking along mechanized - i.e. covering their flanks and providing a screen, soaking up the damage reducing the "load" on the valuable units.
      We deliberately gave the Mech Inf an even higher damage area than tanks so as long as they are in the stack, they will draw most of the heat coming downrange.

This being said we will look at the Mech again cause I agree - they kinda are not "attractive" enough atm.

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • The upgraded ones actually look really good on paper. I think I haven't used them because you are limited in how many research lines you can follow and the mech inf need a lvl 3 barracks and early on other buildings seem more important to upgrade. Still I'll definitely consider using them. I guess the main drawback is they are a bit slower than mot inf.
      -danny