Interesting read on overhyped weapon systems

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Much as I enjoy watching A-10s come in and rip ground forces to shreds, the writers have a point in that the Warthog was developed for a time in which the biggest concerns for CAS birds were ground fire from machine guns and SPAA. The only real reason why the plane remains today is because the Iraqis somehow succeeded in making themselves the ideal target for a flying 30mm rotary cannon by not really investing heavily into providing their armored troops with substantial anti-aircraft capabilities, and the Taliban and ISIS are making the same mistake. Because of this, the media is overhyping the A-10's image, and the boots on the ground aren't about to badmouth their close air support.

If the Taliban had committed themselves to using the same tactics against the A-10 that made them so deadly to Soviet Hinds, we might be hearing a different story; and as it stands, if the United States enters into a conflict with a modern military power with any semblance of an aerial presence, and knows how to use it, the Warthog's reputation is more than likely to go from "Flying Gun" to "Flying Coffin".

I can see the same thing happening if the A-10 or the Su-25 are introduced into this game: They simply wouldn't have any reasonable defense against the Air Superiority Fighters or SPAA/SAMs that basically every doctrine enables and favors so heavily right now.
      "Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky."
      ― Arcade Mode, Ace Combat Five: The Unsung War
    • I read that too actually haha, I thought the drone part was pretty good

Do you read a lot of war is boring?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Haha, what else is on that list?

There are some very good articles, but some boring ones too. But I guess that the way most things are
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Well the site is called "War is Boring" so....

Besides all major news agencies of course + my favorite:

KCNA News - the most unbelievable view from the opposite side of sanity. North Korea.

kcna.kp/kcna.user.home.retriev…9283778E2DAEC18320475787F

Reading is believing :D
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Wow, haha

its a shame how there are not many other blogs like war is boring. I tend to end up buying Air Forces monthly and combat aircraft monthly.
      Maybe there are good blogs out there and I just havent found them :P
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Germanico wrote:

Well you always can follow the Great Beloved Leader KJU 8o
      Who scored over 124 goals in the world cup and went on to win the world cup on his own!

ahahaha
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.