Wrong Borders everyhwere

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wrong Borders everyhwere

Hi guys!

Some of you might know me, some might not.
      So, I am a GO in NWE, and I am also a Geography and History enthusiast.
      When I saw this game, I totally fell in love with it... Seeing that I started in a place without much border and nation issues.

But then I saw them... ALL OVER THE PLACE...

I set out, then, to try and discover the most important issues.

So, here is a list of them, in pictures.

I am sure you can see what the problems are. If not, I will add a list with them later on, once I have the time for it!

Here they are:

1st one: The falklands are claimed by both the United Kingdom and the Republic of Argentina, but it is de jure and de facto held by the British Crown.

Where is french Guyana? :P

This will upset a lot of people that live in the nation of Cyprus! They belong to the EU, and have their own country. Most of them are not turkish!

Kalinigrad is a Russian Oblast, not a part of Lithuania.

All of these islands have a lot of strategic importance and belonge, in one way or the other, to one nation.

There are a few (5) large enough countries to be represented in the map missing, in europe ALONE! (at first glance, but I think that I did not look in the balkans

Also, what is wrong with the Balkans and the Islands surrounding it? Most of the borders are messed up (sorry) and there are some islands that have no owner...

You know that this was coming... LEBANON should be there... But most important, the Palestinian Authority!

There are a few (3) countries missing here!

Hello Pacific Ocean :D
      Oh, I can't wait to release some islands from their far-away owners... Be it France, France, or someone else. :P These islands should have an owner!

So should these...

And these...

AND SPECIALLY THESE! A huge chunk of strategic land without owner.

Although it is usually a thing with what is missing, Greenland should NOT exist as a nation. It should be from Denmark. :P

Poor Malta :|

WOW, how did these 2 last problems happen? This is huge! 2 countries missing?

THIS IS ALL FOR NOW!

I was pretty sarcastic in some comments. Do not develop around my sarcasm! I do love the game, and it will be great, for what I can tell! :D Can't wait to have this fixed up!
      Soon, I will include more problems. Specially in Africa. It is a mess out there! :P

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gmtavares ().

• I already mentioned the Kaliningrad one, but if it were 100% realistic as you said it should be, then I personally think it would be unfair in the game.

1. France and the United Kingdom would have useless land in South America (They would almost certainly be kicked out of SA almost from the beginning of the game before it could even send troops to help) (Denmark also applies with Greenland)

2.I think the same applies for Kaliningrad, though it would be much better than French Guiana and the Falklands to defend (it's not really that far, you could just attack Lithuania and then defend it from whoever is attacking it), so I wouldn't mind if they give it to Russia.

3. As for the islands without owners, I am gonna have to agree with you! Maybe it's because the game is in the beta phase, but I do find it an annoyance that they just skipped the islands. CoW did have many of the islands that are no man's land as provinces and I just can't grasp why they cannot have them in CoN.

4. In Europe, Cyprus should be its own country, I agree 100% but I only think they should put in Luxembourg and maybe Andorra as AI nations because I think Lichtenstein, Monaco, San Marino, and Vatican City should NOT be included in the map for the reasons that they are simply too small. I do however, think Moldova, Armenia, Lebanon, the UAE, and Qatar (Bahrain should be a part of Qatar)
      should be included in the map, but I think Palestine should not be included for the reasons of complexity in the map (Two small pieces of land separated by each other, but still in the same country(also Palestine has limited recognition in the UN))

5> In the Balkans, I think all the former Yugoslav republics should be represented in the map.

6. Lastly, I agree, Africa looks like it was done in a rush and the borders should be redrawn to more closely represent the modern borders.

I agree on you that the map should be more realistic however, I do not think it should replicate the real life borders 100% for the sake of the ease of game play.
    • Guys,
      thank you very much for all the hard work of checking the borders and posting. Actually I really enjoyed the sarcastic tone ;)
      This being said as you can imagine being located in Malta we are fully aware of the maps inconsistencies. These stem in parts from the fact that we need to simplify in order to get a playable game done and live, as well as our intention to make an interesting multiplayer title - not a realistic simulation.
      No idea where you got the notion, but afaik we never claimed to be 100% the real thing. Creating 180+ countries - most of which are tiny and/or do not have players of our games doesn't make a compelling business case, so to speak.
      From our previous experiences we learned that e.g. Africa was always the least and last selected starting position by our players. So we decided to merge lots of it and put our focus elsewhere.
      This being said we are by no means closed to your suggestions and it is great to hear you are so deeply involved. Please continue to play and provide feedback so we can find out where the map needs amending.

// Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Hi,

What I would suggest is for overseas territories of some countries to be linked to them (Greenland and the Faroe Islands; Svalbard and Jan meyen), while others are made client stated, which start with full share map and RoW with their homeland country (I.e. Falkland Islands / New Caledonia).
      The other thing I would suggest is that some african nations are created to serve as AI. Personally, I love starting in North or South Africa. Specially Egypt and Morocco, for the fact of their strategic importance.

There are some huge problems like Moldava (turn it into an AI), the Balkan nations, Kalinigrad, Sakhalin, the baltic and mediterranean islands (specially Cyprus and the Balearic islands). One of the biggest things also would be Macaronesia.

Macaronesia consists of 4 Archipelagoes: Azores and Madeira - Portuguese, the Canary Islands - Spanish and the Cape verde Archipelago - Cape Verde.
      All of these nations are very keen on keeping their territories lined up with their homeland (being one, the "homeland of the nation" - Cape verde).
    • The worst is: Malta isn't a player country... But we will change that soon(tm)

We simply will expand the size of Malta to that of say, the UK and then we finally can rule the Med and the World!

Just kidding. But for us here in Malta this still is hurtful ;)

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Just kidding. But for us here in Malta this still is hurtful ;)
      I know, right? I mean, some islands are simple to be made into AI's, or to be awarded to the countries they are a part of. (previously mentioned Mediterranean Islands and Macaronesia).

There are also 2 or 3 problems in Europe, specially Bosnia and Croatia, the lack of Moldava, which could totally be an AI if Romania had 2+ provinces, the lack of funny, funny Gibraltar, little Luxemburg and Andorra. :D
      They are about the same size as some Caribbean Islands which WERE included!
      But these last 3 ones, I am totally "OK" if they don't make it. As for Moldava, the balkan borders, the islands I mentioned and some problems in the Arabian Penninsula, I'd like them fixed. So would others, I think! :D
    • This is a perfect example of no excuses! :P

Why is this done wrong? (Croatia-Bosnia).
      Like, they are both AI's, so what is the interest in having a terrible border?

1.PNG

That little bit of Croatia near the coast, that borders Montenegro is not needed, it is just that one of the most important Croatian cities is there.
      Addind Montenegro would be a nice touch, as the province is already there.
      Fixing the border between Croatia ans Bosnia is absolutely mandatory, at least I feel that it is. :P

Many thanks.
    • Dear Gmtavares, we are actually very aware of Europe's past and present borders.
      The ones you mention may be politically or personally important, and that's both totally fine, but they are not relevant in gameplay terms.
      Should we ever release a "Balkans" Scenario we will quite surely have them.
      If you want to play on that level, there are some very cool Hearts of Iron mods or games such as Supreme Ruler on Steam (although that's really a hard case with quite quirky UI).

//Germanico
    • Germanico wrote:

Dear Gmtavares, we are actually very aware of Europe's past and present borders.
      The ones you mention may be politically or personally important, and that's both totally fine, but they are not relevant in gameplay terms.
      Should we ever release a "Balkans" Scenario we will quite surely have them.
      If you want to play on that level, there are some very cool Hearts of Iron mods or games such as Supreme Ruler on Steam (although that's really a hard case with quite quirky UI).

//Germanico
      I know of that mod :P I do own HoI4, but I mean, it is HoI4, not CoN :P It is like stating that NWE is like EU4, it is based on the same thing, but it is a different thing! :D
      I just mean that, if they are both AI and the provinces are there, why not just hotfix that? In other Bytro games, fixes occured.
      Since I like CoN, I am only making these as suggestions, constructive criticism. :D