Strategic AI - LOVE IS IN THE AIR

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• yes, well after the last time we had ai issues, and that got improved to sort to a neutral, no not neutral, average declaring and embargoing way, it was kind of neutral because though not declaring and embargo so much, it did still do it, but it did not improve situations. on the old maps i finally got rid of those countries, now after this update it seems to be back to normal. though i must add, on the newer maps, it did not get in lesser extent, on mid-game maps, i also however got in big trouble now, those big maps where after the previous ai update. and instead of 4-5 or 6 wars now i'm seeing 10 minimum. so far i have not seen any ai's changing their stance except 1 on 1 map, though there's an issue with that, it changed from war to embargo, my status is row, however it is still registered as a war under info my user info in-game so i'm still getting the war penalty, its also still displaying it under province morale. Though in the diplomatic screen it self's, the ai info stance is embargo. if i send a unit there it also does display the warning go to war banner.

by the way i want to point out that when you are embargoed, you can not see trades of embargoed nations unless you go to all trades,
      so when you place a bid, be it buy or sell, you might be bidding way to high and the ai's that have not embargoed you will not sell or buy due to your bid in comparison with the embargoed states being off. and in between those ai's there are usually no embargoes so they trade with other ai's and players.(theoretically, they will see it like that even if they physically do not trade with each other)
      This might be part of the issue concerning trades, but it would not affect embargoes.
      Many players are not aware of this, even the ones that are usually do not go to that tab. so when they have 10+embargoes and they do not go to all trades tab, it will look like trades is useless yet it is not. (except that ai's buying amount /still is too low)

Another issue I see is that when you row with ai 1, and you go to war with ai 2. so far so good.
      Complication arrives when you are at war with multiple nations, even if you where rowed, those suddenly change stance from row to embargo or war, skipping 2 or 3 steps all together, this is what happened on a newer map.
      If ai's are rowed/sort of allied, idk if they do, but that affects it greatly too, and there's no way to know if they have that stance.

Another issue, if you have units in a row country and get attacked by an waring nation, or you attack from that row country, then the row country will go to war with you.

now to take in the new equations you guys implemented so talking only about the new maps:
      I noticed the starting popularity is not 100%
      I also noticed that popularity gets decreased way to fast. declare war with 1 nation, its ok. but your popularity will take such a dent that its just not funny. Declare war on 2nd and/or 3rd .. and well. its the start of embargoes. so it does not seem to bad.
      The problem is on running games, as you already got war with other nations, when you push trough changes, its like a new game on an old map hence and it will do those things all over again. So if you already are at war with 4-5 nations, you will get the penalty instantly.

I can add some more issues to this list but i noticed them in a whiff. And many already mentioned they come to mind as theories and disappear as quickly as they come. So ill need to ponder a bit.

I think if all of these things can be fixed individually and then it will be clearer to see what the real reason is that the ai does not want to get fixed by you guys, eliminate the issues. Somehow I think it might not be the combination of all of these things but just an individual issue being looked over, which messes up the rest. Though I might be wrong, it might be a combo..

After all, when taking into account ai statuses vs ai's them self's, then factoring in players.. and that for every individual nation, it might even be that there's an issue just with an individual nation, like which i am having with one, on one map, as previously mentioned.
      If you want to take a look at that to see if its a part of all of this, its map 1737709, a late game map.

To be frank, I have no idea if any of this will help you, AI intelligence is some very advanced mathematical and coding stuff, in all areas you can possibly think of.

p.s. if some of this needs further explanation be my guest to start up a conversation.
      - Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world -
    • Summer95 wrote:

The bots are killing me in one of my games XD
      7 countries go to war against me in 1 day. Heck, my troops can't be everywhere at the same time.
      no but you can defend, make sure you have an airforce, 3 groups in combination: 2fighters 3 strikefighters, even if 10 countries attack you at the same time and your surrounded, you can defend and still build up very slowely, make sure you have lots of regular infantry to occupy and defend taken cities, get some paratroopers to quickly retake territory.
      You still need to go offensive, focus on 1 country at a time regarding offense, 1 city by city, targeting their resource they need the most, which usually is in this order:
      1 rare mat, so they cant upgrade their excisting units.
      2 goods so they cant make infantry, planes take out tanks easier and faster then infantry units, so you want the ai to build tanks, and no goods means a huge negative penalty for that country, to an extent that troops can not repair, or even diminish health.
      3 fuel, same as above but with less priority. even if your fuel hungry yourself.
      4, take the rest.
      - Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world -
    • To cut a long story short - the AI is acting up and we are presently working on a solution with the team.

The "new" AI on new maps is actually working much better once a new map is selected, but the old AI screwed up the values so bad that it makes all old games unplayable - and that is a critical for us.

Unfortunately there is no "reset AI" button and we are weighting the options to allow old games to recover.

Ish's games are a great example and we are using copies of them to fix this matter.

Our AI fixing goals are:

1. Reset the broken Global Popularity and thus stop everyone going crazy in the first place
      2. Reset the embargos against players
      3. Reset the wars against players

reinstate the new AI to start working as intended.
      Let's see if we can manage - with the way the game is set up into active and inactive games and players stored across multiple databases this isn't a simple batch job unfortunately.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • the oldest game im playing, im not having any issues with at all by the way (1737709)

Which is weird, as it had the most issues after the previous AI update; maybe its becouse i'm huge there, and they are very afraid ^^

good luck with the long tedious fix
    • Germanico wrote:

To cut a long story short - the AI is acting up and we are presently working on a solution with the team.

The "new" AI on new maps is actually working much better once a new map is selected, but the old AI screwed up the values so bad that it makes all old games unplayable - and that is a critical for us.

Unfortunately there is no "reset AI" button and we are weighting the options to allow old games to recover.

Ish's games are a great example and we are using copies of them to fix this matter.

Our AI fixing goals are:

1. Reset the broken Global Popularity and thus stop everyone going crazy in the first place
      2. Reset the embargos against players
      3. Reset the wars against players

reinstate the new AI to start working as intended.
      Let's see if we can manage - with the way the game is set up into active and inactive games and players stored across multiple databases this isn't a simple batch job unfortunately.

//G
      Hey mate, in case you guys need another example, have a look at game 1788960. AI's gone bat-sh** crazy on me. 7 wars declared on me in the last 24 hours... I do like a challenge but this has gone out of hand ;)
    • Within the next 24h due to game inertia.

There was a bugged setting in the old games breaking the AI making it freak. In order to get rid of it we need to restore it to peacetime values.

You can help by setting the ones you don't want to peace in the diplomacy. Same with embargoes.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • So all I do is set the relation I Want with the A.I. In the diplomacy menu and the update will reset the A.I. to that favored relation? Also why doesn't popularity increase with your allies. It only seems to go down. Which is really annoying when your allies go inactive and the A.I. essentially unfriends you. You shouldn't loose popularity if countries attack you (well unless you use WMDs in retaliation)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Aodhan ().

• It's not that easy. The AI can only max go to peace. If your human allies go inactive the AI takes over. If the AI is broken (it was) then logically it will start aggroing you eventually,

Let's wait for the diplomacy changes to take place - and even they may still take some time in stages, depending how broken the diplomacy was.

//G
    • Well tbh I'm not really that bothered if my relation changes with Inactive A.I. it's not really that important. What is important is that the A.I. quickly goes from Embargo to war and it already seems possible that some of my ex allies and going to declare war on me. I'm to start loosing ground soon which means the update won't make that much of a difference if I've essentially lost huge swathes of land. By the Hour more countries are putting embargoes on me and these A.I. Nations will probably follow up and attack me. As we been speaking India has just put an embargo on me and it borders China (Which I annexed) so we are probably gonna go to war soon as well. The more countries I end up at war the more I will end up going to war with since I automatically loose popularity. Do you have any fixed time when this update will come about since. If a country goes to war with me, my relation is automatically set to war. Like I could still end up at war with a load of countries even if this update goes through because the list of warring nations will continue to grow and I can't be online all day updating my diplomacy status

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Aodhan ().

• on the new maps, it gor /t delayed, but many nations are embargoing me now too and declaring like crazy, and its not a once a day kind of thing this whole day ive seen 1 by 1 embargoing me, then some 1 by one declaring, with hours in between
    • as I wrote - in the next 24h. We pushed this hotfix at around 1600 CET - so please give it the time. All AI stuff always needs reaction time.

@Ish: we used your worst games as testbed and in our dev environment they fixed themselves within 24-48h. Talking about the 15 wars worldwide embargo ones