Your Opinion: Most complicated thing to learn about Conflict of Nations

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Your Opinion: Most complicated thing to learn about Conflict of Nations

Hey guys and gals!

In this discussion thread, I would like to talk about the most challenging part about CoN to learn. Maybe it is something that you were confused about when you first started out, or maybe it was something fairly recently. What are some of the things you have learned so far? :D

Id like to use this discussion to learn from eachother from our experiences, and perhaps this gets used for a manual *cough cough* :P
      Sir McSquiggles
      Head Squiggler

ConflictOfNations | Dorado Games

Check out these video guides for Conflict of Nations. Click Here
    • Ok most of it will have to do with direct and indirect effect of game mechanics

Much of it I already know due to ingame testing etc but nooblets dont, and people actually need allot of play and whits to discover these things.

We of course do not have to know how 11100001 talks with 0101110 xD
      But It would be really nice to know the following:
      (assuming this would be in some kind of advanced tutorial)

1 stack mix penalties concerning different unit types (stack penalties concerning the same unit anyone can find out)
      2 unit type damage indication towards population
      3 Success-full long range zero casualty or minimum casualty defense stack build up, against both air and missiles.
      4 economy; 4.1: how to keep a balanced economy
      4.2: how to quickly build up morale, which gives more resources and prevents terrorism ^^
      4.3: how to check the market for trade embargo trades, how to succes fully trade when having trade embargoes.
      4.4: how to recover your economy, in other words; get a certain resource when you cant get it on the market, and when your own income is negative (very doable but takes ages)
      4.5 how to destroy your enemies economy efficiently whilst protecting your own.
      4.6 bunker defense % modifier statistics per level for population (for troops its stated, for pop its not)

I got allot more to add to this list but cant find it atm lol

ill update this same post later on

edit:

22-02-17 added 4.6
      - Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world -

The post was edited 1 time, last by IshXIII ().

• How to win ?
      When you get around 600 points (middle of the game so), the whole world hates you. It become impossible to trade anything.And you lake of supplies because of population growing (but not national production). Then it become impossible to annex, research or build new units.
      And the whole AI world declare war on you.
      Is anyone ever reach 1200 points ? And how is it possible ?
      Frexit
    • Kristovi wrote:

How to win ?
      When you get around 600 points (middle of the game so), the whole world hates you. It become impossible to trade anything.And you lake of supplies because of population growing (but not national production). Then it become impossible to annex, research or build new units.
      When did this happen and in which game - pls supply game id and user name, want to see this - cause this should not happen any longer.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • When ? Almost everytime when 600 / 800 pts are reached. For exemple 1800632 and 1807344

Who ? Myself

I'm not at war with everybody, only half of AI, the other half is embargo.

At this stage, it's manageable. But I don't see how to reach 1200 points if the games continue like this.

I think a part of the problem is the "ghost" enemies, that remain at war, with no more land and invisible troops.

In this one : 1815868 , at only 400 pts, 80% of the world is at war or embargo with me.
      Frexit

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kristovi ().

• Germanico wrote:

Thx Kristovi - will fix it with prio. AI is flipping out once again - seen this over the WE with a few other games...
      Is that a bug? If AI hate some one with high victory points? I thought it is a feature. Please explain some examples what AI shoulöd do, and waht should not.

Kristovi wrote:

How to win ?
      I have same case in my 1st and my 3rd game. 3rd game : 330 VP's but 80% AI embargo, and at least 6 AI declare war at same time, after defeating AI, another AI with embargo declare war.
      1st game 250 VP 60% AI embargo, 3 AI declared war.
      my 4th game im only on TOP7, TOP 1 has over 600 VP'S, with help of millions players (he is gamemaster, kicked inactive, new player joined and helped him, gone inactive, kicked, new players join, help him) also with help of other players, he dont have too many wars and embargos of AI's but huge strikeforces and strong economic. I belive he will winn this round for sure.

Back to the roots:
      My starategy: try only defending, safe ressources, build bunkers to level 5, then other stuff in cores, then in most important annexed provinces. It seem this game round would be very long.

My strategy for 3rd game, where every AI hate my country: dont annex they any more: attacking one AI conquering all provinces, but dont stay with units there to get revolt. IF AI country killed it could be "ISIS State" very long time i would not have morale penalty for it. go to next one. after all AI dead, gonna annex "ISIS provinces , picking only imortant ürovinces with airmobiles.
      This round can be very long, but even we have 10 or 12 active players it can be game over for me sooner as i can get my VP's ))
    • Concerning AI:
      The AI should declare war on you only in rare cases. There is no fixed ruleset as it is a dynamic AI which we are tweaking.
      Right now for instance we reset the global popularity for players so AI will start declaring peace, lifting embargoes etc. because we saw that it was deteriorating again.
      The aim is to have the AI harass smaller/weaker nations and embargo/war-dec players only rarely (possibly neighbor, threatened or the like).

Winning the game clearly requires several important steps:
      a) conquering territory/cities (that's where the VP are)
      b) driving up the VP in your territory by means of population increase (over time, protecting them: eg Bunkers, and possibly building Hospitals adding to the growth factor)
      c) reducing other players population and thus VP via war, WMDs or any other way.

As the TARGET VP for victory are dynamic it really depends upon how many VP (population) you have vs how many the rest of world has.
      If you own a large part: victory is achieved.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Hey Roberta, they are being attacked I am convinced. It's most probably an issue of showing the damage dealt and unit dishing it out (eg airstrike or missile or stealth unit etc) in the news and log.
      This is something we are monitoring and will be implementing and adjusting - so your case could be extremely helpful...

Please provide me with the following:

User name in game
      Game ID/Name of game
      Brief description of what happened WHEN and WHERE (your case: when did you notice them missing and where were they)
      Suspicion of possible reason for it should you have any (often players actually have a very good hunch of what's happening - better then us devs sometimes)

Thanks a lot!

//G
    • posted this on friday in questions section

I got a question regarding airborne troops, are they especialy vulnerable during an airdrop by enemy infantry? Cause I just lost a bunch of them in game 1859728 and I don´t really know why. They attacked Nicaragua but it isn´t stated which unit destroyed them
    • Anything transported by air is squishy. But this still doesn't help if you are not shown who and when or where killed you ;)

So yes - we still are optimizing the events log to actually catch these events. Please excuse the inconvenience and troops missing in action....

//G
    • Hardest thing to understand? hmm... Id say the.. hmm

I actually cant think of anything really. Maybe the whole efficiency concept and its overlap with the 3:1 rule as a 4 stack has 100% efficeny while attacking the most effective is 3:1

I understand both, but cant see the overlap very well.
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Actually it's 100% efficiency up to and including 5. And then it slowly decreases all the way to 10 where it evens out before dropping off sharply at 15 - 25.
      so having a 3:1 superiority in numbers is totally achievable even if you possibly go slightly below 100% efficiency (it still adds remember?).

//G
    • Germanico wrote:

Actually it's 100% efficiency up to and including 5. And then it slowly decreases all the way to 10 where it evens out before dropping off sharply at 15 - 25.
      so having a 3:1 superiority in numbers is totally achievable even if you possibly go slightly below 100% efficiency (it still adds remember?).

//G
      Get ya, guess they are not as overlapped as I thought :P
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Most complicated thing in this game would be economy of scale. I was in the Army. I have been a wargaming since 1977. I automatically think in standard military units so I started to mobilize and stack on day 1. I am working at division and wing level etc.

I think a lot of players get overwhelmed and do not look at expansion control vs production output. They want to attack immediately and get results right now. You have to see what you need to increase and what other countries have. You need to make sure you leave buffer nations between you and another. You need to especially understand time and develop a network of rapid transit so you can move divisions like johnny on the spot. You need a reserve as well for this. This all takes time and if you are rushing out to piecemeal it then you get stuck in the mire and lose hope.

Besides Afghanistan attacking me on day one I did not attack anyone for at least 8 days. I am day 20 now and have taken 4 complete countries. I am at war with no one and no embargoes. Last Saturday night I took Pakistan and was taking Kyrgyzstan as well. The previous victim had a unit that went right down the middle of that country so I had to move into all those territories to end that war. Might as well take the rest since Bishkek has oil. Well my global popularity dropped to 3%. 7 neighbors declared war. Well they should because three of them are next on the list but at least 35 nations called for an embargo. What did I do? I moved divisions around to protect my borders and built more. I fought off three invasion attempts. 2 days later my global popularity rose to 50 some percent and all nations called for peace and ended their embargoes. It is at 67% right now. Thank fully this was all AI but I am not so sure I would not had fared the same if one of these was player controlled. Game says I have the most advanced military. I will not take that for granted though as I need to build a robust air defense network as I am sure someone is going to research something they can reach out and touch me long distance eventually. I have a bomber wing that can touch most of Europe from Tehran. I move its base around periodically as well. ;)

So what I learned is expand, take over a complete country, sit tight, build, then proceed to your next goal. Rinse repeat.
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • The hardest thing to learn?
      The popularity-thing. I have no idea how it works. I only use my simple logic of "more wars = lower popularity | lower popularity = even more countries declaring war on me".

I don't really mind being attacked by AI but... I'm still amazed how I get 6 AI declared war on me in few hours. Maybe I'm just too aggressive