A suggestion to Germanico about the increasing server load

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A suggestion to Germanico about the increasing server load

So i understand your problem that the server load is way too much to handle and that you are considering locking down game creation for regular players. This is a horrific idea and it will do more damage than repair. The reason is that because many players might stop playing when they see they cannot create a game anymore since not many people are paying for the premium subscription and because of the high number of free to play players and the low number of pay to play players, the maps will run out quickly and then BOOM! the remaining maps will be filled with people and other players will just have no map to go to, due to the ratio between pay to play and free to play players. So in order to both allow players to create their own map and decrease the server load, consider adding a limitation to the maps. Make a barrier which stops free to play players from making more than 1 map every month. This will solve most of the server problems and will satisfy the free to play community. This cap will help you guys a lot. if 1 month cap sounds low to you, then try 2 months. I know that developers work very hard for everything and server load will just take a shi* on their hard work so this ought to help you all. If you are reading this (germanico) then please drop a comment below and tell me what do you think about it ^^
    • We are of course considering a cap, and connecting it to both free and subscriber accounts.
      Free players having amount X available while subscribers have amount Y.

More importantly though, there is an autogenerator ensuring there are always games open for playing.
      Otherwise it would not work in the first place, with loads of new players coming into the game.

This being said, we are not changing it today so no worries.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

We are of course considering a cap, and connecting it to both free and subscriber accounts.
      Free players having amount X available while subscribers have amount Y.

More importantly though, there is an autogenerator ensuring there are always games open for playing.
      Otherwise it would not work in the first place, with loads of new players coming into the game.

This being said, we are not changing it today so no worries.
      Thank you for reading my thread. I know you guys are working hard. Do you know about the game Clash of Clans? That game's parent company was not very rich either. But their game become a very big hit and now, the game has 50 million players with millions of dollars of income everyday. You all will be standing in the same place too with millions of players and millions of dollars of income i hope :) Thank you for reading this :)
    • I personally feel that It would be very useful to have a strict policy on creating and maybe auto-deleting games. At the moment, you¬ll find hundreds (f not more) games created with one player or no player at all, running for days. Nobody will join a game that is in its 4th day and have 1 player out of 45. I really hate to scroll down on the lot of "empty" games nobody really plays.

You may want to have a system in place to delete the games that are running for 3 days or more and have no more than 2 - 3 players joined in it. That is joining, so I wouldn`t delete the ones where players went inactive. Or move the non-ranked games to a different server en mass, giving priority to the ranked games.
      Limiting the choice of games a new player can join might even increase the active players in the games - that is if the research/production queue of AI is balanced a little better.

Another suggestion: I meself play several games simultaneously and find it sometimes hard to remember on the "My games" panel, which game is which (they all look alike other than the game number). If you could add a little flag in the corner, indicating what country I am playing there, that would be great.