Detecting Missiles - Mobile radar and AWACS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I concur with the problem of BM/ICBM being to fragile. I never proposed to nerf them HP wise.

Game mechanically there is a 5min timer in which a ranged AA is searching the sky for targets - if the missile slips through this "search window" it basically remains undetected before it impacts.

So very fast birds such as the ICBM are realistically "hard to spot"...
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Actually I just checked out AWACS and Ground Radar - both do detect Missiles including CMs.

Now the reason why BMs and ICBMs go undetected by these systems from a players perspective is the speed at which these missiles travel - literally by the time the player notices there are some birds inbound they are already through the radar envelope.

One idea would be to substantially SLOW DOWN BMs and ICBMs (not to CM level but...). That would "ensure" them being spotted and probably also shot at (cause that's the other issue - if they fly through the anti-missile envelope before the system actually spots them there is no damage, making these missiles much more dangerous for targeted players than let's say CMs).

//G
      I wouldnt be in favor of slowing down the missiles. People should just detect earlier, use of deployed Mobile Radar, or AWACs etc...

But you can confirm, if someone launches at me, I wont see the silly red thing flying across the map when its in Columbia and its heading for iceland?

So AWACS and Ground radar detect missiles? See I was under the impression from this link, that I found one of your co- devs posted..

d3vv6lp55qjaqc.cloudfront.net/…ISIBILITY%20MATRIX-01.jpg

I bookmark and more or less have it learnt off by heart lol, I know the mistake with the Naval ships detecting other naval ships in it. Whatelse is incorrect?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Germanico wrote:

I concur with the problem of BM/ICBM being to fragile. I never proposed to nerf them HP wise.

Game mechanically there is a 5min timer in which a ranged AA is searching the sky for targets - if the missile slips through this "search window" it basically remains undetected before it impacts.

So very fast birds such as the ICBM are realistically "hard to spot"...
      Any thoughts about removing the timer for detecting targets?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • "Actually I just checked out AWACS and Ground Radar - both do detect Missiles including CMs."

I was DECEIVED. Much worse than being rick rolled. Sorry for the loss of your time.

About ICBMS, would really slowing them down help ? Their trajectory is very "abstract", and if you shoot at something more than 4k rang, it just seems to fall vertically on its target (in one or two minutes). For the system, the ICBM remain at a cartesian point ?

About timer, I think those 5 minutes are more related to performance than game design.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Yeah I have been seriously mislead...

d3vv6lp55qjaqc.cloudfront.net/…ISIBILITY%20MATRIX-01.jpg

yeah... My bad folks
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Although not being designed for it - both AWACS and Mobile Ground Radar actually do detect missiles.

Let me get some update with the team, cause to me it looks like the chart is incorrect.

Opulon is right in regards to performance - on top of that this "randomness" basically represents the actually occurring randomness of radar detection.

Not always does radar pick the target up: ranges vary very much depending on atmospheric conditions, trajectories and of course above all: the Human Factor.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • @Germanico It seems like you're suggesting defense against missiles ought to have an element of randomness to it that other aspects of combat in CON lack. Why should defense against a missile be random? If anything, it should be less random, because the whole point of NBC deterrents as the US and Russia use them today is surety that at least some warheads will survive any defensive measures.
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation