OUTPOST UPDATE 170526

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What kind of construction times for the outpost levels would you guys like to see? Pls advise - we can adjust these quite easily.

Concerning prices: please compare yourself with the individual buildings incorporated into each oupost level and note that we are not much more expensive. E.g. at level 3 you are actually construcing three buildings at once: improved bunkers, improved hospital and airbase.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I'd say they are fine they way they are. I dont think I would like to see a change to them.
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Well I think some get stuck on the name of the game and do not realize you do not get modern anything in this game till what? Day 23 for Moto Inf. Day 19 for Airmobile.

So at first I was like WTF no airbase till 3rd lvl? But then you have to take into account the time line when helicopters were new or none existent so forward bases would be ammo depots and assembly areas. Later on field medical facilities such as aid stations before being sent by jeep or truck to a field hospital. WWII it was something like 12 hrs from being shot to being on a table. In Viet Nam it could be less than 30 minutes to be on a hospital ship. Hence why more people died from combat wounds in WWII vs Viet Nam and today's battlefield.

Ahhh I just got UAV researched but forgot I need secret agent man lvl 2 arggggh!!!
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • Germanico wrote:

What kind of construction times for the outpost levels would you guys like to see? Pls advise - we can adjust these quite easily.

Concerning prices: please compare yourself with the individual buildings incorporated into each oupost level and note that we are not much more expensive. E.g. at level 3 you are actually construcing three buildings at once: improved bunkers, improved hospital and airbase.
      Feel free to rip this suggestion apart, but i was thinking it might be nice if a FOB was slightly portable, like an 8 hour mobilize, then 16 hour deployment and driving time in between, so if you build a base, it can move forward with your lines a bit. It sucks to take all the time to build up a FOB only for it to not be ... forward. it gets left behind as you advance and then you have to spend resources and time to build another one, just to leave it behind in a few days.

I understand not wanting to have a fully operational airbase from the start, but i am kind of thinking of firebases that were used in vietnam. something just for helicopters to use (or CAS/COIN when those come out soon :D) and fortifications. Maybe with an artillery unit built in? No? Hate this idea?
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

Germanico wrote:

What kind of construction times for the outpost levels would you guys like to see? Pls advise - we can adjust these quite easily.

Feel free to rip this suggestion apart, but i was thinking it might be nice if a FOB was slightly portable, like an 8 hour mobilize, then 16 hour deployment and driving time in between, so if you build a base, it can move forward with your lines a bit. It sucks to take all the time to build up a FOB only for it to not be ... forward. it gets left behind as you advance and then you have to spend resources and time to build another one, just to leave it behind in a few days.
      I understand not wanting to have a fully operational airbase from the start, but i am kind of thinking of firebases that were used in vietnam. something just for helicopters to use (or CAS/COIN when those come out soon :D) and fortifications. Maybe with an artillery unit built in? No? Hate this idea?
      what are CAS and COIN? And I love the idea of a mobile airbase. An airlifted airbase might be a tad op, but idk. Perhaps instead it should be towed? And perhaps, however, like airborne infantry do when not airlifting, it should take longer than most units do to move?
    • CAS : Close Air Support. Synergy Land-Air in order to optimise land progression.
      COIN : Counter Insurgency. The specific tactics and strategy to handle irregular forces in conflict.

Would like to see this kind of special feature for some units
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Problem with our present system is we are using Helis and Airplanes both from Airbases. So there is no differentiation without some coding involved.

Meaning: Firebases with Heli-pads presently are a no-no until we may change the system running them in the first place.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Problem with our present system is we are using Helis and Airplanes both from Airbases. So there is no differentiation without some coding involved.

Meaning: Firebases with Heli-pads presently are a no-no until we may change the system running them in the first place.

//G
      I figured as much, I wasn't expecting (really) a helipad only airfield, it was just a wish. Maybe, it could be accomplished by having level 1 airbases only handle heli and drone, and level 2 fighters and some larger units, with level 3's needed for heavy bombers. Just a thought. Kind of like how a unit has to be able to be aircraft carrier capable. Because really helo's don't need much in the way of an airfield, but fighters and bombers sure do.

As far as mobility of FOB, i was thinking they would have to be trucked like motor infantry, or planes when transporting on the ground. Air trans FOB would be totally OP.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

level 1 airbases only handle heli and drone, and level 2 fighters and some larger units, with level 3's needed for heavy bombers
      no, still, no, lvl1 is very cheap and very swift to build, also airfield would be overpowered. drones have 3k km range, hello?

lvl2 vor airassault and air transport, lvl3 for airforce, if possible without heavy bomber ability. That would be ok.
    • Last warrior wrote:

War-spite wrote:

level 1 airbases only handle heli and drone, and level 2 fighters and some larger units, with level 3's needed for heavy bombers
      no, still, no, lvl1 is very cheap and very swift to build, also airfield would be overpowered. drones have 3k km range, hello?
      lvl2 vor airassault and air transport, lvl3 for airforce, if possible without heavy bomber ability. That would be ok.
      I have to disagree. Fine, make drones a lvl2 airfield, but helo's need a flat place to land. Having a tent with spare parts, and a fuel truck doesn't take much to setup. The difference between an FOB airfield and an airfield is that an airfield can PRODUCE units. I just want to be able to have a vietnam era firebase with the ability to land helo's. I don't need a divisional HQ.
      ----------------------

• Ok the rule about 24 hours for AI to take over sucks. It has to change. That is WAY too fast.
      ----------------------

• War-spite wrote:

Ok the rule about 24 hours for AI to take over sucks. It has to change. That is WAY too fast.
      I do agree. 24 hours is is rather too soon
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • War-spite wrote:

Last warrior wrote:

War-spite wrote:

no, still, no, lvl1 is very cheap and very swift to build, also airfield would be overpowered. drones have 3k km range, hello?lvl2 vor airassault and air transport, lvl3 for airforce, if possible without heavy bomber ability. That would be ok.
      I have to disagree. Fine, make drones a lvl2 airfield, but helo's need a flat place to land. Having a tent with spare parts, and a fuel truck doesn't take much to setup. The difference between an FOB airfield and an airfield is that an airfield can PRODUCE units. I just want to be able to have a vietnam era firebase with the ability to land helo's. I don't need a divisional HQ.
      That's all I envisioned an FOB to be ... like in Nam. Chinooks move 155s or 105s up to a mountain top and now they can swivel 360 to provide support for all units around them. They just utilize a helicopter pad. Combat bases such as the one at Khe Sanh had C130s landing.

historynet.com/air-power-in-the-siege-of-khe-sanh.htm
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • Last warrior wrote:

War-spite wrote:

but helo's need a flat place to land
      Airassault forces need fuel suplies, ammo, barracks for stuff, stuff for repair, and and and.Not only single flat place.
      and the sentence I wrote right after that one was a tent for spare parts and fuel truck.. The time and materials to build a lvl 1FOB easily covers any time to include the basics for a helo assault jump off point. Nothing involved in what you or I said is not something that can be brought in by chinook. It is not like they need a paved runway like a jet does.
      ----------------------

• @Oceanhawk: What would you like to have instead AI takeover wise?

Actually the 24h are now only military AI (no diplomacy, building, spending, etc) simply "home defense" - we thought it may be cool to have some units responding to an attack instead of them being parked.

For this we actually changed the AI to include several stages of AI involvement.

//G