Rogue States - A Neat Idea

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DevinMacGregor wrote:

Westboro Baptist.
      Sons of Liberty.
      Scientology.
      Doctors without Borders. *Maybe they are just really pissed off at the lack of healthcare and gone off the deep end.
      New idea - We can submit names for the terrorist organizations to a pinned thread on the forum. If staff find it appropriate, it will be added to the random name selection database.

A man finds an old lamp and rubs it. Out comes a genie that says, “Thank you for freeing me. Would you like to be a Hero of the Soviet Union?”
      The man says yes, and poof! He then finds himself in Stalingrad in 1942, facing five tanks alone and armed with only three grenades.
    • Quasi-duck wrote:

DevinMacGregor wrote:

Westboro Baptist.
      Sons of Liberty.
      Scientology.
      Doctors without Borders. *Maybe they are just really pissed off at the lack of healthcare and gone off the deep end.
      New idea - We can submit names for the terrorist organizations to a pinned thread on the forum. If staff find it appropriate, it will be added to the random name selection database.
      This could get pretty troublesome. In the US alone you have anyone that isn't fully on-board the pc bandwagon being labelled a terrorist group by the splc. And this being an international game, you will have some players thinking that one sides freedom fighters are anothers terrorists. I can easily see this turning into someone's forum for defending really bad behavior.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

This could get pretty troublesome. In the US alone you have anyone that isn't fully on-board the pc bandwagon being labelled a terrorist group by the splc. And this being an international game, you will have some players thinking that one sides freedom fighters are anothers terrorists. I can easily see this turning into someone's forum for defending really bad behavior.
      Yeah, I thought of that, which is why I was thinking it would be checked by staff, but I don't think the staff would be eager for more work TBH. It would be fun having random organisations pop up with names like "Daisy-Pushers" or "Men of the Goat".

A man finds an old lamp and rubs it. Out comes a genie that says, “Thank you for freeing me. Would you like to be a Hero of the Soviet Union?”
      The man says yes, and poof! He then finds himself in Stalingrad in 1942, facing five tanks alone and armed with only three grenades.
    • Yeah but the idea was proposed it be edited and it is just for fun. The card game Illuminati made fun of a lot of groups. This is a game and the names should not be taken personally. If the US Govt were to dissolve we have 1000s of militia groups out there just waiting for such a scenario and honestly it will not look pretty for those surviving Americans. One man's freedom may be another man's tyranny. Just look at the American Revolution. We have our perspective while if you read books from the Brits take is a completely different one which it would be. I had a book called 1776 that was just that. Oddly if we had remained with the Crown we would had gotten all the freedoms we were complaining we did not have. Our own self image projected onto American Exceptionalism has blinded us to how evolved the Western World has become since Bunker Hill and we think only we have such freedoms.

We could have the Meat Eaters against Eating Meat. Pacifists for Peace. Mac Users against Windows. Maybe a SF area insurgency group.

As far as PC goes, it goes both ways. PC is just controlling terms so to control the conversation. Both the Left and the Right do this. We called sauerkraut Liberty Cabbage during WWI. We called hamburgers Liberty Steaks during WWI. The French would not let us into their airspace to bomb Libya during the Reagan years so we called French Fries, Freedom Fries and we did so again for the Gulf War because France objected to hostilities. Changing the term War to Police Action is PC btw. Corporations use Political Correctness all the time. Instead of firing it was let go. Instead of laid off we had downsizing, then rightsizing, etc. At my company they call it a RIF, Reduction in Force. Some companies call it an reorganization (reorg).

If you noticed in many of my posts I say liberate instead of invade and conquer/capture. This is a form of PC. Why my country is doing nothing wrong, we are merely liberating this country.

But yes if such a system were in place there are jerks who would abuse it and try to grief.
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • seriously who is going to make the that epic thread?
      can I recommend a few basic guidelines? these are just things that I personally would like to see... but its not my choice but still please:
      1. Nothing referring to, even indirectly, to religion. e.g. The Cross Allies or Muslim Alliance. (this is only going to cause racists issues)
      2. Nothing profane or explicit (you ppl are bright I don't need to give an example)
      3. Nothing about race, culture, or language.
      4. Nothing blatantly insulting
      5. and guys lets try to think of realistic names, no militia ever named themselves the Xbox Republic and was able to capture a city.

so how about these:
      Red Horse States
      Dog Republic
      SeaWind rebels
      Accountants Union
      Obsidian Corp. (hey a biz could be funding military state)
      *insert name*'s Army (like: bill, Gerry, Jim or Jill)
      As always just my 2 cents

Use Helicopters, Special forces or Stealth. Use your head to play - not the missile button. - Germanico

These terrorists aren't trying to kill us because we offended them. They attack us because they want to impose their view of the world on as many people as they can, and America is standing in their way. - Marco Rubio
    • I think if it were to be done, as I said previously, there should be a dedicated, pinned thread for it so the staff can sift through the names.

If the names are to be from a set number of random names, well, there should still be a dedicated, pinned thread for the same reasons, then the ones the devs like best they pick.

• Nahh. I would hope for the developper's energy to continue into improving the already existing AI enemy states. You're talking about sections of your country not just going rebel, which can already occur, but that section deciding to act as a specific independent state. Where does it draw its own borders? Often rebellions break away in contiguous lands of two countries, would they join? What about if a second region breaks away 3 days later? Is it only contiguous borders? If they start conquering territory, do other rebels join them? Can they just ignore their own morale and cause their own territories to double rebel and increase their military more?

This would effectively instantly manifest a superstate enemy, you want them to have full nationhood, and since they've all rebelled their military is instantly massively larger than 80% of most countries in the game.

I just want existing AI nations to act a little normal. I'm watching my rival just steamroll nation after nation racking up VPs and coming closer to me while I'm stuck killing rebels every 5 minutes unable to gain any ground because everything just up and rebels again and again. My VP's going up too, but my enemy is doubling his empire without anything slowing him and when he comes to my door it will be one of my guys punching a rebel and his army will have had no resistance from the regular AI he swept across.