BALANCING UPDATE 170623

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BALANCING UPDATE 170623

Dear Players,
      Shortly before the weekend we would like to treat you to our balancing update.

VICTORY POINTS

We are increasing the Victory Points on the World 2020 map by +250 to 1500

MORALE PENALTY REDUCTION

We have seriously cut the time penalty caused by low population morale for both building production and unit mobilization - this should reduce the waiting time noticeably

UNIT BALANCING

Combat Recon Vehicle
      • Increased Electronics cost from300/325/450 to 400/425/550
      Amphibious Combat Recon Vehicle
      • Increased Electronics cost from 300/375/500 to 450/525/650
      Main Battle Tank
      • Decreased Electronics cost
        • from 950/1200/1400 to 800/1050/1250 for EU
        • from 1285/1620/1890 to 1080/1420/1690 for US
        • from 760/960/1120 to 640/840/1000 for RU
      Tank Destroyer
      • Fixed Anti-Personnel Ammunition research bug.
      Multiple Rocket Launcher System
      • Decreased Electronics cost from 1000/1500/1750 to 900/1250/1550

//Your CON Crew
      Alphh
      Community Manager
      Conflict Of Nations | Dorado Games
    • I do not mind building tanks. Last game I built too many but that was because I ran into Saudi Arabia who had a boatload of them. I had at least 7 tank divisions by game end which saw little tank action after Algeria. This game I still have just the starting tank. He did see some combat as he took out an invading anti air unit. Since heavy jungled areas I see no need for them atm. What would be nice is a demobilization option for units like we can get rid of buildings.

Btw for these new buildings for provinces are we going to be able to demolish them? I do not see that option. Once the operation is over I really have no need for an airstrip or a hospital deep in a jungle that takes hours to drive to.
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • Eternus wrote:

yeah, you definitely want people to build tanks, despite what you say :P
      More than that, before this update, it was easy to prove that Combat Recon Vehicle was a better choice than tank to pretty every context of Damage per hour / HP-resilience it could encounter, for a fraction of its research cost and time.

Combat Recon Vehicle remains still better than the tank for the tank role (in my opinion) in early game, but at least, the gap is less visible.

I will take a bit more time to explain why i think this is so.

Let's talk a bit about stats.

Let's take for reference the eastern doctrine tank, as it is the cheaper and the most cost-effective for what it is, between the doctrines.

45HP for 6 / 8 heavy malus in cities, heavy bonus in plains, 1 to 0.25 speed. - 25 sight range - 1 800 components, 960 manpower, 640 electronics, 2 600 money.

In early, one will want to conquer, and so, need a damage dealer that can take hits and kill city defenders. I want it equally good against soft and hard, because it's what i will mainly have against me in my first expansions.

Now, let's imagine that two combat recon vehicle are one unique unit.

It's 60 HP for 8 / 8 . No malus in cities, No bonus in plains. 1.33 to 0.33 - 50 sight Range - 1 against planes, 4 against helicopters. - 3 500 components (94% more), 1 800 manpower (+87%) , 800 electronics (+25%), 3050 money (+17%).

If you look at resources, i'm sure you still observe that many players DROWN in components while the other resources lack, especially the money and electronics. Manpower isn't "that" critical. And more than that, Components and manpower can be easily diverted from other choices. So, what the traders is proposing to me, as a player craving for those two ressources MAINLY :

You can have this tank, it's not really expansive, it's quite good.
      Or you can have this "tank", it's ~25% more expensive, but it has 33% more HP, 33% more soft damage, it goes 33% quicker, it has 100% more sight range, it can defend a bit against helicopters, and it won't suffer any malus while you attack the cities you need for your expansion. However, it won't be as good in plains.

It is tempting to use the combat recon vehicle as a tank, right ? And here, the comparison is done with the Eastern Tank, that is the best tank, for its cost (640 electronics vs 1080 electronics for the US doctrine)

"Opulon, you are crying over details" ---> True, but there is a last thing that, to me, shift definitely the balance into making any "curious of meta" player choose the recon. And this is build order.

Because of research time (and i didn't speak of research cost, that is another thing that can help into choosing Recon over Tank), i KNOW that my country will have launched two waves of combat recon vehicles into the fight, before my tank will BEGIN TO MOVE toward my ennemy.

In terms of offensive efficiency, tank role, so... Combat Recon is better designed than the Tank. The funny thing is... On this timeline, i dealed with production in parallel lines (meaning that H+16 = 2 Combat recons), but it remains SUPERIOR if you do it in linear line (h+16 : 1 reco / h+32 : 2 reco). In any context, The recon will be in the fight before the tank, dealing more damage, more endurance, with less risk due to terrain.

And that, in my opinion, plays a heavy role into the tank lacking love from many players, especially the ones that read the tech screen.

PS : The goal of this explanation isn't to say that the Tank is useless or a bad unit. The goal of this is to point out what i feel is a design exploit, aka a unit that through conception, can assure a role it wasn't created for, to the detriment of the unit dedicated to that role.

PS BIS : I love the combat recon vehicle. But as the "game design" original idea was to make it a mix between a reco vehicle and an IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle), i struggle to think on a good balance between tank/td/recon.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.