Disbandment of Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Disbandment of Units

I was wondering if there could be a possibility of disbanding units you don't want or need. When you go AFK for a while it seems that all the computer does is build up the armed forces, and when you come back your overwhelmed with the military. An even better example would be in real life when units are muled commanders usually disband the unit all together. This would solve the issue of having a tank unit on 10/70 hp not knowing what to do with it. Maybe when you disband you could possibly get maybe 10% of the overall unit mobilization cost back.
    • I agree and disagree. I will say this if you can disband units it should only be when you are not at war. People would just disband when they are getting overrun to keep up their ratios. If you are at war with anyone you should not be able to disbanf units BUt If all wars are over and you want to help your economy then you should be able to disband. and heck not being able to trade units doesnt help. I may have an ally that may need a unit I do not want to use
    • You should be able to disband even if in a war just not while in combat. You cannot use gold to heal while in combat so it should just be like that.

If a person disbands while in a war it is not like they instantly get a new unit. They still have to make new ones. All of which takes time.

What if I am invaded and I have too many of one type that cannot regain me territory and need more infantry to take back territories? As in my current losses leave me with very little infantry. Do I just say well so sad too bad just let myself be overrun? I thwarted an invasion weekend before last. I targeted all his infantry initially. If he did manage to land he would not be able to take anything. Disbanding in this case would just be symbolic of surrendering. Even if he were allowed to disband those his homeland was defenseless. He had no army left. That was it. It would take him weeks to get that army back.

Historically in war units get disbanded all the time and the remnants make up new units. A division may get mauled and then they move them to the rear while a fresh division takes its place. If that division is too mauled it will be disbanded with elements going to other divisions.
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • DevinMacGregor wrote:

You should be able to disband even if in a war just not while in combat. You cannot use gold to heal while in combat so it should just be like that.

If a person disbands while in a war it is not like they instantly get a new unit. They still have to make new ones. All of which takes time.

What if I am invaded and I have too many of one type that cannot regain me territory and need more infantry to take back territories? As in my current losses leave me with very little infantry. Do I just say well so sad too bad just let myself be overrun? I thwarted an invasion weekend before last. I targeted all his infantry initially. If he did manage to land he would not be able to take anything. Disbanding in this case would just be symbolic of surrendering. Even if he were allowed to disband those his homeland was defenseless. He had no army left. That was it. It would take him weeks to get that army back.

Historically in war units get disbanded all the time and the remnants make up new units. A division may get mauled and then they move them to the rear while a fresh division takes its place. If that division is too mauled it will be disbanded with elements going to other divisions.
      I get what you are saying I just disagree in being able to disband while in war in this game for several reasons if your reason is because you built the wrong units then better planning is in order. Send your troops on a suicide mission while you are building their replacements.

I tihnk when you are in war you fight with what you have. If you built the wrong units or were ill prepared or planned wrong then you have to bite the bullet. BUt that is just 2 cents
    • mycaddy wrote:

DevinMacGregor wrote:

You should be able to disband even if in a war just not while in combat. You cannot use gold to heal while in combat so it should just be like that.

I get what you are saying I just disagree in being able to disband while in war in this game for several reasons if your reason is because you built the wrong units then better planning is in order. Send your troops on a suicide mission while you are building their replacements.
      I tihnk when you are in war you fight with what you have. If you built the wrong units or were ill prepared or planned wrong then you have to bite the bullet. BUt that is just 2 cents
      Well I do not think you are thinking. I see that you have created some imaginary boogeyman to say hey only allow this when a person is not at war. So what if he were to disband units not in combat. It actually does not hurt you. It hurts him more since these units are no longer there which is less to stop you from steamrolling him. As well as he cannot create new units instantly unless he uses gold which he could do anyway regardless of being able to disband. So it is not like he disbands and then BAM has this giant army to stop you from invading.

You can be in several wars at one time and when one starts all planning can go out the window. As I said I destroyed my opponent's infantry. I targeted them specifically. It left him with units that would not gain him cities nor territory.

Uncertainty always exists in war but it is nice that you are such a great scryer that can see into the future and plan with such precision. All hail to the power of your mighty all seeing eye. My last game I built up armor and why? Because when I started to march through the Middle East I ran into a lot of it. By the end I did not need it anymore. Now what? 7 divisions of armor that I really do not need. They were useful at one time but are not now. I am in wars all the time. I have a major war and then minor brush wars. I have Marine divisions island hopping while the Army goes into major wars every few days. According to you I could never downsize and refit my military simply because my Marines are taking Jamaica atm. I just have to send them off to battle to die. Different areas of the map may require different types of troops. So in one area I am now is more woods and jungles. Armor not so hot here. So my plan is to invade with little to no armor in that area. Oh wait but I cannot disband because my Marines are taking the Caribbean States because for some reason you think this would be some giant abuse. Not to mention that if you are in alliance matches that you are always in some war.

You have still not convinced me that your 2 cents are even worth a penny. It just sounds like a bunch of hollow chest beating because I am laughing at your rationale of one having to fly armored units from clear across the world which have not been used for the last 2 wars which are eating up resources so he can kill them just to free up those resources, ie upkeep?

As I said, disbandment happens during war and there is no unbalancing effect here by allowing it other than not during combat.
    • DevinMacGregor wrote:

mycaddy wrote:

DevinMacGregor wrote:

I get what you are saying I just disagree in being able to disband while in war in this game for several reasons if your reason is because you built the wrong units then better planning is in order. Send your troops on a suicide mission while you are building their replacements.I tihnk when you are in war you fight with what you have. If you built the wrong units or were ill prepared or planned wrong then you have to bite the bullet. BUt that is just 2 cents
      Well I do not think you are thinking. I see that you have created some imaginary boogeyman to say hey only allow this when a person is not at war. So what if he were to disband units not in combat. It actually does not hurt you. It hurts him more since these units are no longer there which is less to stop you from steamrolling him. As well as he cannot create new units instantly unless he uses gold which he could do anyway regardless of being able to disband. So it is not like he disbands and then BAM has this giant army to stop you from invading.
      You can be in several wars at one time and when one starts all planning can go out the window. As I said I destroyed my opponent's infantry. I targeted them specifically. It left him with units that would not gain him cities nor territory.

Uncertainty always exists in war but it is nice that you are such a great scryer that can see into the future and plan with such precision. All hail to the power of your mighty all seeing eye. My last game I built up armor and why? Because when I started to march through the Middle East I ran into a lot of it. By the end I did not need it anymore. Now what? 7 divisions of armor that I really do not need. They were useful at one time but are not now. I am in wars all the time. I have a major war and then minor brush wars. I have Marine divisions island hopping while the Army goes into major wars every few days. According to you I could never downsize and refit my military simply because my Marines are taking Jamaica atm. I just have to send them off to battle to die. Different areas of the map may require different types of troops. So in one area I am now is more woods and jungles. Armor not so hot here. So my plan is to invade with little to no armor in that area. Oh wait but I cannot disband because my Marines are taking the Caribbean States because for some reason you think this would be some giant abuse. Not to mention that if you are in alliance matches that you are always in some war.

You have still not convinced me that your 2 cents are even worth a penny. It just sounds like a bunch of hollow chest beating because I am laughing at your rationale of one having to fly armored units from clear across the world which have not been used for the last 2 wars which are eating up resources so he can kill them just to free up those resources, ie upkeep?

As I said, disbandment happens during war and there is no unbalancing effect here by allowing it other than not during combat.
      You sarcasm is not needed never did I say I am any good at all. I will not even get into that anymore. No need to indulge in the foolishness. I will and there is no boogeyman and I still get what you are saying I just disagree. That is all. I know it makes it easier and I know I still have to build units like I said I still disagree to be able to disband while in war
    • Yes I got that you disagree which you came back to say again and a third time but you gave no legitimate rationale as to WHY. The sarcasm was to get a point across. I already got your 2 cents about the servers going down which turned out to be quite a deal to others.

Again you gave no reasonable rationale as to why someone who is in a state of war should not be allowed to disband. It hurts absolutely no one for them to do so while in a state of war or not in a state of war other than themselves. It has historical precedents as well. Everyone in WWII disbanded units while in a state of war. The US has done it in every war it has been in.

When the server went down the last time and I could not play my 95 day game I went back to my Indonesia game which I had not played since day 2 and the AI had completely ruined their economy. I have a stack of 25 fighters that I am unable to get rid of and apparently instead of dying they keep kicking arse. They consume over a 1000 fuel a day. The AI has me in two wars and the other AI never went back to peace status. I have to be at war anyway to gain resources to dig myself out of this hole. Those two other countries have fuel which I am in desperate need to get out of the red so I can build the units I need like Marines. This game is 117 days old. The game I started after the 95 day game is now in Day 35. In that time I am STILL in the red for the Indonesian game. My fuel has gone from a negative almost 300 down to under a negative 100. My money is now in the negative teens. I cannot even annex cities. But according to you it would be completely wrong to be able to disband while in a state of war.

You have not given any valid argument of how that would negatively affect the game. Just saying it is your opinion or your 2 cents is not a valid argument. I can see a negative way YOUR idea would affect the game. I could simply declare war on you and prevent you from disbanding when I am nowhere near you but have a pact with someone who is near you and wants to invade you. I decide to bomb you from my cities of which you have nothing to reach me with and are unable to build bombers to counterstrike because well you lack the resources due to upkeep of current units. According to you he should just suck it up and send his troops into battle to die to free up resources which could take forever IF he can get to me at all if I am landlocked. Second scenario. I declare war on him and hit him with ICBMs. My buddy who is not in a state of war is just waiting for the right time now. Did you plan for this? Can you counter ICBMs? Do you have units just sitting around for all kinds of contingency plans?

This is not a fast paced game.
    • I did state it. didnt feel the need to go into detail as I stated. I do not think you get a mulligan if you make the wrong units. You wanted to say I meant I have a crystal ball but as I stated the first time I bite the bullet if I make a mistake and I know it is not a fast paced game that is what I like if I make a mistake it takes time to fix it. and by time I mean weeks. and if you declare to keep me from disbanding then that is a part of the game. as I said I simply disagree. your way is not making the game better you just would like it that way that is all and again we just disagree
    • mycaddy wrote:

I agree and disagree. I will say this if you can disband units it should only be when you are not at war. People would just disband when they are getting overrun to keep up their ratios. If you are at war with anyone you should not be able to disbanf units BUt If all wars are over and you want to help your economy then you should be able to disband. and heck not being able to trade units doesnt help. I may have an ally that may need a unit I do not want to use
      There is never going to be a time when "all" wars are over in a team match.

But I see your point about potential abuse.
      How about this idea as a solution to your concern:

Units not in combat can be disbanded at any time.
      A warning box pops up that requires you to click OK. The box reads, "Dismissing a unit will automatically be counted as a ranked loss of the dismissed unit".
      To expand on this... Credit goes to the player or AI that caused the most damage to the unit. If the most damage was caused by speeding up the unit or if there was no damage, then it is merely counted as a lost unit.

This way there is a cost to dismissing a unit. It can not be abused. And players who really need to dismiss the unit, can do so.
      Excess navy units are a real problem.
      What if you need 19 ships to win a Navy battle, but once victorious your next opponent is Russia who has a massive land force with Air and AA?
    • There have been some very good and interesting points raised in this thread.

The Disbandment of units, on its face, sounds like a great idea. It would be especially useful when you join a game a little late and the AI has already purchased a TON of useless units that you do not want or do not need. These excess units may not be in-line with the tech direction that you may want to take your country AND they consume a tremendous amount of resources.

That being said, I can also see an argument against implementing such a feature because it can be abused.

As it was mentioned earlier, it would be far more cost effective to simply disband a unit instead of sending it to a hospital for a week.

A good compromise would be to implement a feature to allow for the disbandment of units below a certain percentage of heath, or allow for the disbandment of any unit at any health while also significantly increasing the healing factors of hospitals to make them more effective and to incentivize players to use them as opposed to simply disbanding wounded units instead of waiting a whole week for it to be back up to full health.
      “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.”

George S. Patton Jr.
    • Cptamerica1701 wrote:

That being said, I can also see an argument against implementing such a feature because it can be abused.

As it was mentioned earlier, it would be far more cost effective to simply disband a unit instead of sending it to a hospital for a week.

A good compromise would be to implement a feature to allow for the disbandment of units below a certain percentage of heath, or allow for the disbandment of any unit at any health while also significantly increasing the healing factors of hospitals to make them more effective and to incentivize players to use them as opposed to simply disbanding wounded units instead of waiting a whole week for it to be back up to full health.
      What about this: the resources you get after disbanding are decreased drastically as the unit takes damage.