Unit Trade & Technological Advancements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unit Trade & Technological Advancements

I think to make this game more fun and realistic, you should bring back the option to trade military units. In the real world, many powerful countries sell cheap, old aircraft, support and armored vehicles. I think if players could sell those units to other countries, we could profit. Now here's my other suggestion. When we progress through the tech trees, the game shouldn't transform already-existing units into the new upgraded unit. They should stay the same, and we'd have to mobilize the new upgraded units in order to use them. We could then sell the old units for profit and build more of the new advanced units. We should also have the ability to choose which generation of any of these units we want to mobilize. So, if we want older units we could mobilize older units and sell them or do whatever with them, or we could choose to mobilize the newer units. I think there may be some problems with this, but you guys could probably find a solution.

And this time, when we sell a unit to another country, the unit should stay as its original doctrine, but the flag should be changed to the country it now belongs to.
    • You mean and inluding older machines such as T-72M1,MiG-21,M48 patton,ZiS-3 Howitzer?
      THREE THINGS YOU MUST REMEMBER FROM ME-
      1:When you play,never foget to research as many technology as you can-later will be useful
      2:.Don't overbuild-Or when the fuel bills come,you will cry .
      3:First attack playable countries-or later they will eat you alive.
      thanks for reading.
    • President Jah wrote:

you should bring back the option to trade military units.
      Yeah this could be very much of use in roleplay matches, and since we can't delete units, we can sell them

President Jah wrote:

When we progress through the tech trees, the game shouldn't transform already-existing units into the new upgraded unit
      Please no, it's already taking too much resources for researching tanks.

President Jah wrote:

We should also have the ability to choose which generation of any of these units we want to mobilize.
      I don't see why not, but again resources.

President Jah wrote:

And this time, when we sell a unit to another country, the unit should stay as its original doctrine, but the flag should be changed to the country it now belongs to.
      Totally agree.
      Stay Focused, Stay Alive

Signed,

Ulysses
    • I like that idea, but with some conditions:

1. Traded units must be "packed" to a cargo that can't declare war, and can be "unpacked" only on an owner territory.
      Argument: We could avoid potential mess.
      2. Client must transport cargo to his own territory, and it can move only by an ocean titles, Right of Way / allied countries.
      Argument: Units should not simply teleport to a client capital.
      2.1 New diplomatic relation could be useful - economic agreement, that allows to move cargo through an other player's territory.)
      3. Cargo should have 0 sight value or should not see other units.
      Argument: Cargo shouldn't be used for some kind of scouting
      4. Cargo can be captured (changes nationality)
      Argument: Lots of fun to play as pirate i think. That also means that we must move some units to protect trade routes.
      5. Offers in market should now have nationality indicator.
      Argument: We should know what nationality offered cargo is - that allow us to calculate risks and time.

And some consequences to those changes:
      6. Resources could be also transported as cargo by the same rules as above.
      Argument: Far distance trade is more risky and much slower, even if an offer is the cheapest one. So, the cheapest offer isn't always the best option.

It looks like a lot of potential work and potential bugs. But it's a pleasure to think about it, because in game world economy in my opinion is quite boring. :)
      Display Spoiler

"We rarely recognize how wonderful it is that a person can traverse an entire lifetime without making a single really serious mistake — like putting a fork in one's eye or using a window instead of a door."
      - Marvin Lee Minsky

The post was edited 1 time, last by Efreet: improved gramar, readability ().

• I agree with all of that 100%. The cargo could be transported via airlift (cargo planes) and should have no sight value. Which reminds me, shouldn't they have aircraft flying across the map, go around countries in respect to other sovereign airspaces unless they have right of way? Because I've experienced situations where another nation flew aircraft into my airspace and changed direction after flying over one of my cities obviously trying to get a look at the units I have. I had to intercept the planes and a few times it started a long, hard-fought conflict. Only stealth units used for surveillance should be allowed into another country's airspace because the enemy would never know.

But anyway, back to the topic of trading. I like everything you just said. Packing the cargo, and having the cargo airlifted in a cargo plane would be a good feature. Capturing cargo would be interesting, but I'm not really sure if I really like the idea of that, but I think we should be able to shoot down cargo planes or sink cargo ships. I like the idea of the nationality indicator. I wanna know who I'm throwing money at before I make a purchase. I don't want to be giving money to foreign adversaries.

And to elaborate on my idea of the doctrine of the sold unit: When a unit is sold to another country, it should remain its original doctrine, but the flag is changed to the country It now belongs to. This is more realistic instead of having it magically transform into another plane completely. Plus, think real-world. The United States and Russia are the biggest exporters of military equipment, I believe, right? We sell our aircraft and other military units to our NATO allies and other allies around the world. Russia sells aircraft, Anti-air units, and other stuff to other countries. So it should be like that in-game. Plus, it'd be nice to have other units that are of different doctrines in your military instead of staring at the same stuff the entire game.
    • We are actually rather in favor of supplying military aid in form of being able to mobilize units in the city of a coalition member, using ones own resources but his slots.
      The units produced would be owned by the receiving coalition member. Essentially it's like the US funding the Afghan army or such.
      There still question to be solved, but this was what we where thinking of... "Gifting" of weapons and men is such a dates concept. Let the locals fight their wars with their men in proxy wars...

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • So would the receiving country need to have the required level of certain buildings in order for the country "gifting" him to mobilize any particular unit? Say for example I want to mobilize a strike fighter in another coalition member's city, would he have to have a Level 2 air base in order for me to mobilize it? Or if I want to mobilize an MBT, would he have to have a Level 3 army base? Probably obvious but just want to make sure I have an understanding.

Also, do you guys plan to do anything about aircraft flight routes? In my previous comment I realized an error. I mentioned how other countries flew fighter jets into my airspace without consent through Right of Way, Military Pact, or Coalition membership to patrol my cities and I tied that into the idea of flight routes. Scratch that because that's actually realistic. I've heard stories of Russia flying fighter jets over Turkish airspace, and in one incident, Turkish F-16s intercepted a Russian Su-24 and shot it down. So, players could just shoot down foreign aircraft suspiciously flying through their airspace on patrol. But what I meant was when they're ferrying to another air base beyond their borders, they should have a flight route that prevents them from violating another country's airspace. That goes for transport aircraft as well.

Also, one last suggestion. Have you guys thought of electronic warfare? I'm talking about the ability to disable aircraft, warships, and launching EMPs. I know China and Russia have those capabilities in the real world. I heard a news story once that Russian aircraft buzzed a U.S. warship and disabled it. So, fighter jets and warships could having a jamming feature that disables foreign aircraft, warships, and could override cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and ICBMs. But, they should have a 24 or 48-hour cool-down to prevent spamming of the feature. And the jamming capabilities should only be available once the units reach a required level. That'd be pretty cool and I hope you take this into consideration.
    • President Jah wrote:

I think to make this game more fun and realistic, you should bring back the option to trade military units. In the real world, many powerful countries sell cheap, old aircraft, support and armored vehicles. I think if players could sell those units to other countries, we could profit. Now here's my other suggestion. When we progress through the tech trees, the game shouldn't transform already-existing units into the new upgraded unit. They should stay the same, and we'd have to mobilize the new upgraded units in order to use them. We could then sell the old units for profit and build more of the new advanced units. We should also have the ability to choose which generation of any of these units we want to mobilize. So, if we want older units we could mobilize older units and sell them or do whatever with them, or we could choose to mobilize the newer units. I think there may be some problems with this, but you guys could probably find a solution.

I agree very much with the option to trade units, however I dont agree with the part regarding units not auto upgrading

What I do suggest, everyone listen closely. Is that when I unit is traded from one doctrine to another, it stays the same as the original doctrine skin. If I was eastern tech skin and sold a tank to a player with European tech skins. The tank still looks like a T-70(Or whatever russian tank it is), upkeep is the same and has same stats. etc

Germanico wrote:

We are actually rather in favor of supplying military aid in form of being able to mobilize units in the city of a coalition member, using ones own resources but his slots.
      The units produced would be owned by the receiving coalition member. Essentially it's like the US funding the Afghan army or such.
      There still question to be solved, but this was what we where thinking of... "Gifting" of weapons and men is such a dates concept. Let the locals fight their wars with their men in proxy wars...

//G
      This a good idea, maybe the idea of the manpower being supplied by the other side? And essentially the res paying for the vehicles?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu