Latest Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Latest Update

The latest update today appears to have slowed Airmobile boarding times to 1 hour. Then unloading for 1 hour

In real terms this is tantamount to having a batallion of lightly armed men take 2 days to board their helicopters; and the same again to alight them.

Oh, and annexing city has gone up from 3,500 to 5,000, annd it takes hours more. In real life, it costs nothing to annex a city or province,, and is done at the turn of a pen. These aren't even cored, and after 9 days and great expense. Thanks a bunch guys.
      This is patently ridiculous

The post was edited 4 times, last by Antony N ().

• This was very much needed - and is actually totally realistic. You need to pull the troops together - fly in the helis and sortie out.
      When hitting the LZ units will be securing the perimeter, and starting their missions. That of course takes time.
      One of my close family members served in Vietnam in 64 and 65 with MACV, seeing action all the way up to the Cambodian border. He never told me about insta-helo'ing.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • @Germanico I'm curious then- what happens if the airmobile troops fly into a 'hot' Landing Zone? Do they take damage for 2 hours without being able to deal any as attackers or as defenders?

You make a good case for 15 minutes as being too short, but I think 1 hour is too long. That's only 30 minutes less time than it takes to offload troops at a friendly harbor, and I thought the whole point of airmobile infantry was that it's supposed to be substantially quicker to its targets than its ground-based peers? I think 40 minutes unloading time would make more sense.
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • Germanico wrote:

This was very much needed - and is actually totally realistic. You need to pull the troops together - fly in the helis and sortie out.
      When hitting the LZ units will be securing the perimeter, and starting their missions. That of course takes time.
      One of my close family members served in Vietnam in 64 and 65 with MACV, seeing action all the way up to the Cambodian border. He never told me about insta-helo'ing.

//G
      This is a game breaking nerf , if you want to slow air infantry fix the units that counter them. Nobody has time for another slow offensive unit , no reason to even train them at this point , may as well send marines or Mech that have greater attack and defense.
    • @Liqter: no, it doesn't break the game. At least not for us. Of course you can still use Airborne - they are just not the "auto-goto" units any longer. Learn how to play with the new feature then get back with feedback.

@Rasczak: of course they fight. They even conquer if not opposed - but while doing so they are on a cooldown. If we playtest and find its too long and opposing players can actually catch up with them in less time - perfect. Then we reduce it to say 45 mins or such. If you want quick units there are the Special Forces as well...
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Learn how to play with the new feature
      It isn't a feature , it is a nerf . Ground units are already time consuming , there is absolutely no need for another slow unit , especially the lowest defense and offense in the game.
      Fix AAA
      Tier 1 Range 5
      Tier 2 Range 15
      Tier 3 Range 25
      That will give people a reason to train and build AAA and it will slow air infantry assault.
    • This was deeply needed.

Airborn are the only one unit that have no passive (meaning, counterable by a disconnected player) counter, except for the frigate (quite contextual indeed). The ability to do "jumps" allowed very active players like myself to carve easily an 500 provinces empires in less than two weeks, not speaking of the psychological damage done by a 3 hours blitzkrieg.

I rushed airborn everytime, because except my fellow hyper active players able to connect ~40-50 times a day, nobody could react against such reckless units. The best ennemies would just see their provinces eaten in matter of hours, and the only defensive vectors (AA) asks from them an activty they are not willing to give.

Unilateral annexion without any kind of defense. I will not lie, it served me well. To eat one big country per day without leaving your cities undefended, and two per day when you grab some air units, gives you an edge over the rest of the map, but it feels design-exploit. Airborn should not be used as a convenient ultra quick country-eater, but more as a disruptive force behind the ennemy lines. With a 1hour/1hour boarding unboarding, the process "Jump every 30 minutes from provinces to provinces" will be a lot longer, and ask more unit commitment to be viable from us. And this, is the beginning of a good nerf. One hour is enough for artillery to launch a round if they are close enough. Two hours are enough for cleverly placed infantry to go and pick a fight with them.

But still, Two hours isn't enough to stop them from disrupting your lines if you have NOTHING behind, or leave an empty city. After, maybe one hour isn't the best "tune" of the setting, as suggested RasczakRough. Maybe, with testings, we'll see that 40 minutes is a good setting : i'm sure it remains open to discussion.

But for now, i'm glad they nerfed my "main-trick" for Ultra quick expansion. Now, i need to get back to my brain to find something else, aha :D

I will still research airborn because sorry, but flying over ennemy holes, even if it's a suicide, is just too precious :D, and i'm not sure the lambda player will manage to kill them, even with the two hours rest, but hey ! we'll see
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

This was deeply needed.

Airborn are the only one unit that have no passive (meaning, counterable by a disconnected player) counter, except for the frigate (quite contextual indeed). The ability to do "jumps" allowed very active players like myself to carve easily an 500 provinces empires in less than two weeks, not speaking of the psychological damage done by a 3 hours blitzkrieg.

I rushed airborn everytime, because except my fellow hyper active players able to connect ~40-50 times a day, nobody could react against such reckless units. The best ennemies would just see their provinces eaten in matter of hours, and the only defensive vectors (AA) asks from them an activty they are not willing to give.

Unilateral annexion without any kind of defense. I will not lie, it served me well. To eat one big country per day without leaving your cities undefended, and two per day when you grab some air units, gives you an edge over the rest of the map, but it feels design-exploit. Airborn should not be used as a convenient ultra quick country-eater, but more as a disruptive force behind the ennemy lines. With a 1hour/1hour boarding unboarding, the process "Jump every 30 minutes from provinces to provinces" will be a lot longer, and ask more unit commitment to be viable from us. And this, is the beginning of a good nerf. One hour is enough for artillery to launch a round if they are close enough. Two hours are enough for cleverly placed infantry to go and pick a fight with them.

But still, Two hours isn't enough to stop them from disrupting your lines if you have NOTHING behind, or leave an empty city. After, maybe one hour isn't the best "tune" of the setting, as suggested RasczakRough. Maybe, with testings, we'll see that 40 minutes is a good setting : i'm sure it remains open to discussion.

But for now, i'm glad they nerfed my "main-trick" for Ultra quick expansion. Now, i need to get back to my brain to find something else, aha :D

I will still research airborn because sorry, but flying over ennemy holes, even if it's a suicide, is just too precious :D, and i'm not sure the lambda player will manage to kill them, even with the two hours rest, but hey ! we'll see
      I can build a lot of Air Superiority fighters for the cost of training up Air infantry and i still have no reason to build AAA , i only train it for SAM and TDS.
    • Sam and TDS don't stop airborn.

Air superiority fighter asks from you activity. If you have it, then welcome to the nobility club ^^
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • as i said, the problem with the fighter option is that with 30 minutes jumps from the airborn, it asks from the defending player activity. Some players even do 10 minutes jumps to advance without the AA to be able to "intercept" it properly.

And while i do agree some passive ranged defense against helicopter would be fine, the general size of country doesn't make it a good option for any kind of situation. Honestly, even considering the mobile anti-air would have, let's say, 50 range, how much would that forbide you from the 5-6 helo rush we all do ? I'm thinking for the lambda player or the AI, here, not the experienced or trained player, obviously.

Maybe they'll implement ranged anti-helicopter somewhere on the road, and maybe this day it will be a good idea to buff the airborn jump ability. But for now ... nah... i'll try to do again a rush "like the old days" to understand how much it impacts this research decision. If i feel the airborn became suddenly useless (which i don't think.), i'll do a feedback
    • Opulon wrote:

Sam and TDS don't stop airborn.

Air superiority fighter asks from you activity. If you have it, then welcome to the nobility club ^^
      There is a need for SAM and TDS , if AAA was not prerequisite to SAM and TDS i would not train it at all. There is no need whatsoever for AAA other than SAM and TDS , Nefring air infantry does not change that , giving AAA range does.
    • Liqter wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Sam and TDS don't stop airborn.

There is a need for SAM and TDS , if AAA was not prerequisite to SAM and TDS i would not train it at all. There is no need whatsoever for AAA other than SAM and TDS , Nefring air infantry does not change that , giving AAA range does.
      This kind of ranged AAA would serve first to protect armies from helicopters. And we do not use airborn to attack armies. If anything, we try to dodge them our best, because it's just not how one can use them best. The goal of an airborn infantry, in a war, is to take provinces, cities if the player is mad enough to let them empty. The General Range coverage of those units could be good enough for border protection in the smallest countries, but fails to have any serious design impact.

Now, i don't mean that giving AAA a range isn't a good idea. I deeply think it is. But i don't think it would forbid us to rush like we always did with airborn. Some areas would be off limits, of course, but even with a 50 range (and people were more talking about à 10-15-25), the portion of an ennemy country i could eat without engaging a fight is reduced from 95% to 75%. I have the feeling that this nerf wouldn't be enough to make this early expansion strategy less desirable to pick in comparison of everything else

And of course, AI would be, as always, so awful at unit placement that there would be 0 modification in the pace of our AI-expansion.
    • Opulon wrote:

as i said, the problem with the fighter option is that with 30 minutes jumps from the airborn, it asks from the defending player activity. Some players even do 10 minutes jumps to advance without the AA to be able to "intercept" it properly.

And while i do agree some passive ranged defense against helicopter would be fine, the general size of country doesn't make it a good option for any kind of situation. Honestly, even considering the mobile anti-air would have, let's say, 50 range, how much would that forbide you from the 5-6 helo rush we all do ? I'm thinking for the lambda player or the AI, here, not the experienced or trained player, obviously.

Maybe they'll implement ranged anti-helicopter somewhere on the road, and maybe this day it will be a good idea to buff the airborn jump ability. But for now ... nah... i'll try to do again a rush "like the old days" to understand how much it impacts this research decision. If i feel the airborn became suddenly useless (which i don't think.), i'll do a feedback
      You are right with air defense there is complexity ..
      But there is a simple solution, increase the range of action from 150 km to 250 ..
    • Thanks Opulon - and for the rest: if we find one hour not enough to stop spamming Airborne we will even add more. And yes - we are fixing the AAA but that's another topic as it is bugged - even against missiles.

Effectively we will plug this hole and allow defending players to defend/react. No compromises there.

//G