Airborne units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bohemianation wrote:

why did they do that, should have left that alone
      People who leave their homeland cities undefended while invading another nation whined and cried about losing their entire homeland to air infantry in a matter of a few hours , the devs compounded the problem when they allowed people to build airfields anywhere on the map , effectively giving air power unlimited range.
    • Air infantry.

Now that i think of it, though, golding the research of air infantry could seriously speed up the process, you're right. Day one is usually wasted for expansion and you need to wait end of day 2. As you can imagine, it's an exponential function, so the most critical aspect of how quick you can do it is to begin the earlier possible, especially when the AI hasn't begin to produce yet, and is moving its units.

Of course, it's not testable anymore, but i think that through beginning the swarm Day one, you can spare 2 or 3 additional days . Questionable, people that tried to optimise the airborn rush may answer better

PS : another critical aspect of the potential speed is to be in a place where you have a high density of cities. Central Europe is especially perfect for that, if we are speaking of this under a "challenge" reasoning
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Opulon ().

• We are currently working on a Airborne hotfix that will allow you to quickly order airborne units to sortie (90 seconds presently), but once they land it will take them 90 minutes to conquer something.

Additionally next week we will revisit the AA unit and fix bugs with it allowing it to not function properly.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • This is another problem. Did you try by yourself to conquer the world through full airborn ? even without gold, it's spectacular
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • This is another example of "There nothing wrong with the unit, just people cant use their head"

Same with the cruise missiles, before they were nerfed to uselessness.

Airborne infantry are so damn vulnerable, its only AI and people who cannot use their heads that lose to airborne infantry.

One step forward two steps back, :/
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • I agree with AI.

But with players... There is also a "i'm not able to spend 12 hours a day on this game" effect. Here the problem is "passive counter" (except for frigate), which even CM did have one (and there, the reasoning that players are just dumb not to do TDS is okay)
    • As much as we agree on many things Ocean, on CM's and on Airborne we differ.
      Airborne needs a cooldown - especially with the ability to conquer Airbases without damage and hop right back to the next target of opportunity.
      Players need to have some chance to counter or at least catch up. (And that doesn't even include AA fixes yet - which are scheduled for next week).

We are working on adjusting some of the aspects mentioned - so we should be pushing a hotfix shortly.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Opulon wrote:

This is another problem. Did you try by yourself to conquer the world through full airborn ? even without gold, it's spectacular
      I have not , on some servers i have spent gold while on others i do not , i prefer a chill and build play style over speed ups. Being relatively new to the game i like to build and play with all the unit types , study how they work together and what terrain they work best in , and i like looking closely at nation defense capabilities , partly because it is ignored by many players who prefer all out offense. My main use of airborn is to capture a city and surrounding provinces then get back to the city with large enough force to keep insurgents out before the server reset. I understand the game is in beta and selling gold is how the game is paid for , i am not entirely against gold use , i do however have a problem with Unlimited gold use on every server and gold healing in PVP , i do not like the deepest pocket wins gameplay at all.
    • No, but here, i'm not talking about gold, nor i'm talking about the role of Airborn : i do agree with you. Here, i'm just talking about this little design hole in Airborn behavior that allows (without gold needed by the way) this extremely high rate of expansion ^^. Now, the hotfix and further discussions are debated over "how to keep the airborn as a good air assault unit, but without the spammy jumpy thing".

Buff incoming, in fact, for airborn, in terms of fight ability
    • Opulon, Germanico etc etc

Do you have real jobs? I mean this in just a curious way not meant to be mean

It shouldnt take an hour to load airborne nor should it take 4 hours for marines to load and unload.

If you leave the home land unprotected oh well thats whats going to happen. I do agree with this jungle airfields and think you all went beyond tweeking this to swinging the pendulum far in the opposite direction. An hour is excessive consider a change here as well with embarking and disembarking troops
    • Well, Germanico does have a job, indeed, for Dorado Games. Nowadays, they develop a game, Conflict of Nations, don't know if you've heard :D

Myself, i work in web project management, so... pretty sedentary job with heavy presence on the computer ^^.

Besides from that, i do agree with you that it did go too far in the opposite direction, and it's what the soon to be release hotfix will correct
    • Yes, last I checked I had a job ;)

Loading Airborne is fixed with the hotfix. It's now 90 seconds. Loading marines we never touched - it's what it is and will stay that way for the time being.

Marines have the benefit of being able to land and embark anywhere, besides being very effective storm units.

//G
    • Opulon wrote:

Here, i'm just talking about this little design hole in Airborn behavior that allows (without gold needed by the way) this extremely high rate of expansion
      What you are doing is taking advantage of a broken game mechanic involving lack of proper checks and balances , meaning , the unit ( AA ) cannot do it's job.
      If Air Superiority Fighters could not engage Strike fighters unless directly attacked by Strike fighters , would you nerf Strike fighters ??? No , you fix the interceptors so they can do their job.
      I am not saying that some balance was not needed , i am saying they started in the wrong place.
      "Extremely high rate of expansion" can be dangerous , i scout people , watch for smoke away from their homeland , if a player leaves his homeland undefended with his troops far away he is inviting invasion , i will take out his airfields and capture most if not all his homeland cities long before he can reinforce , no matter what troop type i use. Airborn is certainly faster.