AIR WARFARE UPDATE 170728

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AIR WARFARE UPDATE 170728

Dear Players,

With this update we are introducing more Air Assault improvements: Now Airmobile Infantry uses their Helicopter to Air Assault before landing. But beware, Anti Air units now are formidable and all have range. This update also bring a major improvement to mentioned Anti Air units, further tweaks towards coalition victory points and series of small-but-important unit balancing changes. This update also brings a long requested feature to demolish Combat Outposts, Field Hospitals and Airfields, as well as multiple bugfixes.
      NEW FEATURES
      • Added Demolish to Outpost buildings
      • Revamped Airmobile Infantry Air Assault command to fight the first round as Helicopter (see details below)
      • Added the rule for Ranged Anti Air to not go into cool down after successfully shooting down an enemy air target
      FIXES
      • Fixed End Game Button in the CON NEWS section sometimes not appearing once the game has below 4 players
      • Fixed “Start-When-Full” option for game starts dropping people out of the pending game
      • Fixed bug where Streamlined Production research didn't decrease unit production time
      • Fixed bug where ranged Anti Air Units were receiving damages from distant air targets
      • Fixed bug where timers were breaking for Airmobile units
      • Rescaled Aircraft Carrier Model
      • Rescaled Tank Destroyer Model
      • Renamed Unloading to Deploying
      GENERAL BALANCING
      • Changed tutorial research unit from Main Battle Tank to Combat Recon Vehicle
      • Adjusted Alliance and Team games victory points
      • Increased Coalition victory points
      UNIT BALANCING
      • Motorized Infantry
        • Increased Helicopter damage from 1/1/1.5/1.5/2/2/ to 1/1/2/2/2.5/2.5/2.5
      • Airmobile Infantry
        • Adjusted Infantry damage from 4.5/4.5/4.5/7.5/7.5/7.5/9 to 5/5/5/7/7/7/9
        • Increased Armoured damage from 1.5/1.5/1.5/2.5/2.5/2.5/3.5 to 3/3/3/4/4/4/5
        • Introduced damage to Transport Helicopter
          • Infantry at 7/7/7/9/9/9/11
          • Armoured at 3/3/3/4/4/4/5
        • Increased Transport Helicopter Hit points to match the ones of Airmobile Infantry
        • Moved Research day available
          • from 1/5/10/12/15/19/22 to 3/5/10/12/15/19/22 for Western and European Doctrines
          • from 2/7/12/14/17/21/25 to 4/7/12/14/17/21/25 for Eastern Doctrine
        • Increased Army Base requirement from level 1 to level 2
        • Increased Air Base requirement from level 1 to level 2
        • Reduced Deploying Time from 1.5h to 1h
      • Special Forces
        • Increased Armour damage from 2.5/2.5/3.5/3.5/5 to 3/3/5/5/7
        • Introduced Air Base level 2 requirement
        • Introduced Stealth to Transport Helicopter
        • Moved Research day available
          • from 3/7/13/18/23 to 4/7/13/18/23for European Doctrine
          • from 4/8/15/20/26 to 5/8/15/20/26 for Western Doctrine
          • from 3/6/11/16/20 to 4/6/11/16/20 for Eastern Doctrine
      • Amphibious Recon Vehicle
        • Reduced Army Base requirements from level 2 to level 1
      • Main Battle Tank
        • Research Day Available
          • from 1/5/10/11/15/22/28 to 2/5/10/11/15/22/28 for European Doctrine
          • from 1/6/11/13/17/24/30 to 3/6/11/13/17/24/30 for Western Doctrine
          • from 1/4/8/9/13/20/26 to 1/4/8/9/13/20/26 for Eastern Doctrine
        • Increased Army Base requirements from level 1 to level 2
      • Mobile Anti-Air Vehicle
        • Introduced ranged Anti-Air damage at 50
        • Reduced Missile damage from 2.5/2.5/2.5/3.5/3.5/5/5 to 2/2/2/3/3/4/4
        • Increased Hit points from 20/22/22/24/24/26/26 to 25/27/27/29/29/31/31
        • Adjusted unit description to mention that while attacked directly by air unit, it will deal damage twice
      • Mobile SAM Launcher
        • Reduced Missile damage from 8/8/8/9/9/10/10 to 4/4/4/5/5/6/6
        • Removed Mobile Anti-Air Vehicle level 1 Research requirement
        • Adjusted unit description to mention that while attacked directly by air unit, it will deal damage twice
      • Theater Defence System
        • Reduced Aircraft damage from 11/11/11/12/12/13 to 9/9/9/11/11/12
        • Reduced movement speed from 1/1.3 to 0.5
        • Increased anti-air range from 125/125/150/150/150/150 to 125/150/150/150/175/175
        • Revamped research tree:
          • Adjusted Research day available
            • from 5/6/8/14/17/24 to 5/8/11/14/19/24 for European Doctrine
            • from 4/5/6/12/15/21 to 4/7/10/12/17/21 for Western Doctrine
            • from 6/8/10/16/19/26 to 6/10/13/16/21/26 for Eastern Doctrine
          • Adjusted Researches according to new anti-air range and speed values
      • Transport Helicopter (used for all units with Air Assault)
        • Reduced speed from 3/3/3/3.5/3.5/3.5/4 to 2.5/2.5/2.5/3/3/3/3.5
      • Helicopter Gunship
        • Adjusted Infantry damage from 7/7/7/9/9/12/12 to 5/5/5/8/8/12/12
        • Lowered Armour damage from 2/2/2/3.5/4.5/5.5/5.5 to 1/1/1/2/3/4/4
        • Increased speed from 6/6/7/7/7/7/7 to 7/7/8/8/8/8/8
      • Attack Helicopter
        • Removed Helicopter Gunship level 1 Research requirement
        • Increased speed from 6/6/6/6/7/7/7 to 7/7/7/7/8/8/8
        • Adjusted Armour damage
          • from 7/7/11/11/11/15/15 to 7/7/10/10/10/13/13 for European and Eastern Doctrines
          • from 8.5/8.5/13/13/13/18/18 to 8.5/8.5/12/12/12/15/15 for Western Doctrine
      • Heavy Bomber
        • Increased Infantry damage
          • from 4/4/4/8/8/12/12 to 7/7/7/9/9/13/13 for European and Eastern Doctrine
          • from 5/5/5/9.5/9.5/14.5/14.5 to 8.5/8.5/8.5/11/11/15.5/15.5 for Western Doctrine
        • Increased Air Base requirement from level 1 to level 3
        • Increased speed from 8 to 10
      • Strike Fighter
        • Increased Infantry damage from 3/3/3/4.5/4.5/6/6 to 4/4/4/6/6/9/9 (Unified with Armour damage)
      • Naval Strike Fighter
        • Increased Infantry damage from 3/4.5/6 to 4/6/9 (Unified with Armour damage)
      • Stealth Strike Fighter
        • Increased Infantry damage from 8 to 10 (Unified with Armour damage)
      • Corvette
        • Removed Missile damage from 0.5/0.5/0.5/1/1/1.5 to 0/0/0/0/0/0/1.5
      • Frigate
      • Ballistic Missile Submarine
        • Removed Attack Submarine level 1 Research requirement
      • Cruise Missile
        • Changed day available from 2/3/5/6/8/10 to 2/5/9/12/15/21
        • Increased Hit points from 4/4/4/5/7/8 to 5/5/5/6/7/8
      • Ballistic Missile
        • Changed Research day available from 11/13/15/16/19/20 to 3/6/11/14/17/23
        • Removed Cruise Missile level 1 Research requirement
        • Introduced Guided Missile Program level 1 Research requirement
      • ICBM
        • Changed day available from 21/23/25/27/30 to 5/8/16/24/26

// Your CON Crew
      Alphh
      Community Manager
      Conflict Of Nations | Dorado Games

The post was edited 1 time, last by Alphh ().

• Very nice update. One question: The AA tank now has anti air capability and a range of 50 but no radar. The sight is 25. Can this unit attack in a range of 50?
      It would be nicer if this unit also have a radar with a range of 50. The most AA tanks have an own radar.
      „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
    • It will attack range 5 if another unit provides radar support, as it is. It does work too that way for frigates
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • There is no mention, however it seems now that ballistic missiles and ICBMs have defensive stats against aircraft

Can these ballistic missiles, high up in space defend and down a fighter plane?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Alphh wrote:

• Introduced damage to Transport Helicopter
          • Infantry at 7/7/7/9/9/9/11
          • Armoured at 3/3/3/4/4/4/5
      • Helicopter Gunship
        • Adjusted Infantry damage from 7/7/7/9/9/12/12 to 5/5/5/8/8/12/12
        • Lowered Armour damage from 2/2/2/3.5/4.5/5.5/5.5 to 1/1/1/2/3/4/4
        • Increased speed from 6/6/7/7/7/7/7 to 7/7/8/8/8/8/8
      • Attack Helicopter
        • Removed Helicopter Gunship level 1 Research requirement
        • Increased speed from 6/6/6/6/7/7/7 to 7/7/7/7/8/8/8
        • Adjusted Armour damage
          • from 7/7/11/11/11/15/15 to 7/7/10/10/10/13/13 for European and Eastern Doctrines
          • from 8.5/8.5/13/13/13/18/18 to 8.5/8.5/12/12/12/15/15 for Western Doctrine

So a transport helicopter now does more damage to infantry than a gunship??? and really surprisingly, more armor damage than a gunship. It does the same armor damage at lvl1 than a gun ship does with rocket pods. I think you nerfed gunships a LEETLE TOO FAR. So now with the new AA and stronger AA on infantry, gunships are just flying coffins.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • Yeah, Blackhawks, Venom and then could use Sea Knight maybe.

And yes TDS range now greater than TDS Radar.. bit of an issue
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • SAMS are way over powered now. I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not.

Here is the scenario that is playing out in my game with an air vs SAM battle:

I attacked a small 4 unit stack that had 1 SAM in it.
      I was using 7 heavy bombers and 1 superiority fighter.

I came back to the game to find that I have already lost 4 heavy Bombers and the Air Superiority Fighter. My 3 remaining bombers were almost dead.

All 4 of the enemy units are intact. Although 2 units are near dead.

If I had let this continue, I would have lost a total of 7 bombers and 1 sup fighter vs 1 SAM. And the SAM would have lived.

If this is what you wanted to see happen, then let me know.
      If not, then it looks like it needs to be dialed back.
    • @Germanico

Anyword on the Ballistic missiles having anti ship stats but not being able to target ships?
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • I'm not sure how I feel about some of the things in the update because I haven't been able to play around with them yet. But the AAA (Mobile Anti-Air Vehicle) updates here are an absolute game-changer and are forcing me to rethink my strategies. Artillery actually has a purpose now. It's awesome! Thanks @Germanico @Gorczyk and the rest of the dev team!
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • The helo in transport for airmobile is just a visual representation. Airmobile would not just have transport helos. They would have attk/Gunships as well, ie organic support. The gunship/attk helos we specifically purchase would be things like the 6th Attk at Ft Hood which was a III Corps asset meaning it could support either the 1st Cav or 2AD.
      Ain't Nothing But A Thing!
    • @Cyclone: you sure it really was only the SAM? Also remember that the other units in the stack have aa stats as well. And if you directly attack AA units you will not only receive damage from range while closing but also in the ensuing "close" combat - so effectively twice. On top bombers and air sup are pretty useless against taking out anti air. And finally - we do have some randomness albeit not massive so depending on the sorties flown against the stack it may be indeed real...
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico,

The stack I was attacking consisted of 4 units.
      - Tank (level 1)
      - Towered Artillery (level 1)
      - Motorized Infantry (level 1)
      - SAM (level 1)

I had:
      7 Heavy Bomber (level 2)
      1 Superiority Fighter (Level 3)

I was attacking from 45 minutes away in 3 formations, maybe 4.

OK... So my main point is not to debate if this is the best way to take out this SAM. My point is that prior to this patch this Attack would have been successful with the loss of 1, maybe 2 aircraft.
      That Infantry is not even supposed to be effective until level 3. The rest do not even attack air. They are saturating damage is all.

The stack would have finished off my last 3 bombers had I not returned and healed them.
      Did you intend for it to be this way?
    • @Cyclone46 I can't answer the question of developer intent, but I think you made 2 fairly substantive tactical errors.
      First, you engaged a tank division with heavy bombers. Strike fighters are built for that sort of thing, as they have more HP and do more damage to armored units.
      Second, when you've got an air wing of 1 type of aircraft, send them in 1 group. If I have 3 groups of 2x strike fighters, the SAM will deal 4 damage to each group. But if I have 1 group of 6x strike fighters, the SAM will deal 4 damage to the 1 group. Multiple groups means your air force will absorb more damage.
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • There is always more to a situation than just the stats.
      I had so many formations because i was bringing them in from far and the refueling wont allow them to group and then attack. So either they attack as they are, or they don't because I was going to be afk.
      Also, I often choose between bombers and strike fighters early on. I don't always do both due to wanting upgrades.

Anyhow, the point is not as to whether or not it was the most efficient way to go.
      The point is was the shift intended.
      This set up would have taken the SAM stack easily prior to the patch. And now it can not defeat the SAM.
      My point is in the difference.
    • In fact, we can compare the theory with your result to see if there is a substantial problem or not

The stack you attacked is (western doctrine)

55 + 15 = 70 hard hp
      15 + 5 = 20 soft hp

Grand Total 90 hp with 78% hardness

This group deal 8 offensive anti-air damage with its anti-air attack each hour, and 4 + 0.8 = 4.8 anti-air. It means, basically, that each time you enter airspace you take 8 damages, and each time a group (as pointed Rasczak) hit the group with the SAM, it takes the 4 from point-defense (systematic point defense is maybe the biggest change to anti-air).

So, if you had between one and 4 groups bombings, it means that for each bombing run, you took, minimum, beween 12.8 and 27.2 air damages (more groups mean more point-defense action)

Now, your formation is a 96 air HP, that hits 60 Soft and ~23 hard. It isn't designed to take out this group, damages on hard targets have been quite limited

Now, as in the group you attacked there was only ONE of each kind of unit, that means there are no "progressive losses". Unit dies when it achieves 0 HP. It is one of the few comparative advantages to the MBT in comparison to the recon. In this precise case, it plays very well its role of HP reservoir to give other units in the group more endurance

On your side, though, a bomber died nearly for every 12 HP the group took, and if you attacked with 4 separated groups, the average losses you took were comparatively massive (between 12.7 and 27.2 there is a world). Maybe the first round wasn't able to kill bombers, but the second, obviously, one damaged bomber per group got killed, and the rest of damages went on the survivor. Under all probabilites, as you take the offensive air round even before the point defense round, i think your bombers have been shot down on the second run, implying they didn't even had the chance to get their second strike properly.

All this would explain the really clear defeat you suffered.

It's interesting, though, because it's a live example of how it's impossible to saturate anti-air through "small groups".
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.