My suggestions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi !

1°) This is planned to be done :)

2°) I don't think converting units is very important, game wise,especially if you can disband them and just... produce what you want

3°) You can do that, since the last update ;)

4°) I think i know enough of how the map generation mechanics work to say this is undoable
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Here is the thread for number one: Disbandment of Units

For number two, that's an interesting idea. @Opulon I think it would depend on how long it would take to convert a unit vs. creating an entirely new unit from scratch.

For three, what Op said

For four, I don't have Opulon's experience so I'm inclined to just take his word for it XD
    • To explain a little bit more, A map is a huge array of data, with lines and columns.

What i say comes from S1914, i don't think though CoN has a radically different technology.

Basically, you would have something like

Name / Owner / Production / Population / Location

Paris;France;Supplies;6;598:067;...

In supremacy, every province was a city, so maybe CoN has a column called "City" that is a boolean (True/False)

the location of a city is cartesian, in order to generate the pathes. The layout of the map is rigid and used in a blank white/black style.

Now, converting a province to a city means, beyond "changing terrain", "converting province shape" into some kind of an hexagon, to fit with what a city is in the game, as well as putting Gfx on it. This, i think, is hard coded and not doable.

And if you give up on the "hexagon" form of cities, to consider that "it's not important, just do it the whole province", then, it may be technically possible, but the, i would disagree for pure balancing purpoose.

1°) Cities are Mountains, speed wise. Players would use that to create artificial fortresses.
      2°) Imagine what it will look like in the huge provinces of Eurasia.

Not desirable, in my opinion. However, i must admit that a part of myself would like this economical feature, but something like "to expand" the cities in the neighbouring provinces. Something like a suburbs, that would drastically improve money production

"For number two, that's an interesting idea. @Opulon I think it would depend on how long it would take to convert a unit vs. creating an entirely new unit from scratch." ----> yeah, but do we want really to create this kind of paradigm ? I mean, if you can disband unit with a little cashback, then you metaphorically have a reduction over the next unit you produce, "converting" their raw value into another unit.Ultimately, a "convert" option somewhere would maybe make the UI more heavy, without being that much critical for the gameplay (in opposition to a disband feature, btw)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • There will be no upgrading by dependancy - we actually had it and it did not work well. Why? Because players essentially only researched the basic units. Additionally, the base inf is unlocked at game start, serving as a logical prerequisite.

About building of cities: Besides the technical issues already mentioned by Opulon, there really is no place for it in the core loop of the game. We are no civ style game and don't want to be. This being said, we do understand the demand for more civil/economical decisionmaking, but simply merging in features of games with a totally different focus is not the answer. Instead we have some ideas on how to expand this type of gameplay, but they are not yet specced out enough to discuss them openly.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • B-17 wrote:

Bearwrath wrote:

I think, You should create the possibility to rename units and name them as I want.
      This can be exploited to create offensive names. A lot is prohibited to ensure a good playing experience for everyone.
      Nuff' said. On supremacy a good part of reportings are nazi flags and people putting inappropriate names. I always thought to myself it would be a nice premium feature, because a paying customer is a bit less tempted to act like a 8 years old
    • Opulon wrote:

B-17 wrote:

Bearwrath wrote:

I think, You should create the possibility to rename units and name them as I want.
      This can be exploited to create offensive names. A lot is prohibited to ensure a good playing experience for everyone.
      Nuff' said. On supremacy a good part of reportings are nazi flags and people putting inappropriate names. I always thought to myself it would be a nice premium feature, because a paying customer is a bit less tempted to act like a 8 years old
      Actually this is an interesting idea. I never thought about it before. Maybe I'd add the feature that if you take advantage of it and obviously, intentionally, make something offensive, you can get SC membership revoked.
    • Yeah. But to be honest, nowadays, Cyclone26 had me thinking very much on how to make the Premium more incentive, so i see premium features everywhere lol
    • If upgrading is not possible you should add disband unit trigger. For example - eastern doctrine, my initial 3 units of towed art are useful but SP art is much better so I will research SP art. But SP rocket art is most powerful so finally I will research this tech also. During the research I will have some wars, maybe I will lost towed art, maybe not, maybe I will have even more then initial 3 units. Propably I will have SP art. And sooner or later I will have towed, SP and SP rocket art. Too much of them. It should be disband trigger.
    • lol. I wonder how many times this has been brought up now. Has been mentioned in many threads.

Though I just thought of something that would make the game more interesting in addition to a disband button. If units wouldnt automatically become the next level when the research was completed. Like if you had 5 level 1 infantry and just finished researching L2. The L1 units would remain as such and you could either upgrade or disband them. Of course any new units you mobilized would be L2.
    • Most important for me for that moment -- trading provinces to my allies, especially towns.

Creating offensive names... Do not be offended :) but this is a little bit stupid.
      What you will do with player with offensive name? But this is not my point - tell me, what is offensive? Nazi flag? OK, I will agree. But in many countries in Central and Eastern Europe sickle, hammer and star are also offensive and even forbidden. F.e. in my country. We suffered a lot from German Nazis but the same way -- from Russian Communists. Commies for many were worst then Nazis. I know that people in Western Europe and in USA/Canada cant understand that but believe me, we are right because we survived this. For you Commies are something like trolls from fairy tales, sometimes there are even friendly like for example for stupid French (what they know about Commies? nothing, they dont know how many peoples they killed, robbed, imprisioned...)
      So for me star, sickle and hammer are also offensive, like HackenKreuz.
      Let's think another way - for Muslims all Scandinavian banners can be offensive, because of Christian cross. Lets ask peoples which sufferes Muslim terrorist attacks, how they are offensive by muslim crescent.

Renaming units can make more orderly army, thats my point. If you dont want to do this, maybe you should add something like unit list. After a night Im not sure how many of my infantry fall dead. If I have a list I will know -- I had 35 infantry and now I have 33.

Another idea - friend and even more important, enemy list. I will add players which I especially dont like.