Pinned Iterative Game Design Video

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Iterative Game Design Video

Hi guys, stumbled upon this interesting video about one of my most favorite games of all times - XCOM.
      I thought you may be interested on how Firaxis solved the same issues we are essentially facing in our game: a well known and respected brand, successful core mechanics, yet the need to improve gameplay and increase the fun.
      It also nicely shows how modern game design often works: it isn't locked down in a moment of genius and then implemented, but rather iterated according to a vision with many parents under one vision-keeper.

XCOM Iterative Game Design Video: youtube.com/watch?v=U168v1-3YbA&feature=share

Hopefully you see the parallels to our game and our work on Conflict of Nations: exactly 12 months ago we kicked off the development of the game and I can proudly say that we have come a long way since we started - in no small part due to the feedback provided by all the enthusiastic beta players.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Very interesting ideas, especially the mutators one : What happens if the airborn has 16 air speed and no unloading time and add target ? :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Yeah, but even with the game update that try things in large specters, it seems that for XCOM, they tried to actively break their own game through mutators in order to understand it better. They started from a lower point too. It's a bit alarming, when you play your own game and conclude "damn, it's not fun"
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • ewac123 wrote:

Reopening this thread for fun...
      :D :D :D :D
      Let's have some opinions from our current players!
      You just want to see someone post a design video for a Mutant Camel game
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD