Main battle tank balancing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yes, I also. But I think it is not right, that the MBT is in the most times useless. Thats the reson why I suggest some changes for the MBT, not only for the Leopard 2.
      If the MBT gets a small power against aircrafts and helicopters, and the MBT tier 3 a little power against missles, then the MBT is more useful.
      „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
    • Forget tanks, do like this one guy in one of the games I played. Built 20 tanks and 5 infantry for his ground force, then used gold on day 17 to build 6 stealth bombers, 4 stealth fighters (at that time the regular fighter to stealth was 4 regs to equal 1 stealth fighter), and golded his research to nuclear warheads. So his tactic was chem/nuke everything in his path and just roll up the tanks behind it. I guess you could take from it that for tanks to be effective, use nuke cruise missiles to take out targets ahead of them. But maybe that is the income generator for those that don't have skill.
      "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" -
    • Annother thing what make the MBT bad is the slow speed in the beginning.
      Normal the MBT must have 1,3 speed on level 1. the engine update must come after tier 3 to 1,4 speed.
      The Leopard 2 A7 gets an engine upgrade in the next time, also the Abrams M1 A3 and the T14 Armata is also faster than the russian tanks before.

Now the engine upgrade is also too expencive in the first days of the game I use my rare materials not for this. After tier 3 normal I have enough rare materials for this, if I need this.
      „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
    • Sorry - the tanks will not start at 1.3 - no way. If you want heavy metal, you gotta lug it around... and tanks are not that fast in average.
      And yeah - I can read charts on the internet like any other guy... but a) we've got something like game balancing b) the numbers quoted are for battlefield performance.
      Sprinting Leopards can reach impressive speeds but they don't sprint across the Russian steppes all the way to Moscow (if the player makes the same mistake as in 1941).
      Our movement speeds are already greatly averaged and should incorporate things such as supply, field maintenance, and other factors.

I am totally open to provide individual bonuses to units as you've asked for, but not a one size fits all. Once we have this game relatively stable in regards to combat and economy I would very much like to look a bit deeper into specializing the individual units...

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • MBTs became giant rocks that are easy for helos to shoot at. Their major benefit is they're giant rocks that are difficult to move if they don't want to and especially more difficult when they're joined with a few other armor buddies that swat out air threats. With that said, giant rocks don't move very fast and exactly why tanks are second fiddle now.
    • @Germanico
      Ok, I am only thinking about the MBT, because this weapon now is very expencive to research and not very useful.

@Futureman99
      After the WW2 the tanks were strong, then came the Helicopter with anti-tank missles and the tank became weaker.
      But now with T-14 Armata, Leopard 2 A7+ and Abrams M1A3 the modern tanks get anti missle systems = AMAP-ADS

Main article: AMAP-ADS
      An active protection system named AMAP-ADS (Active Defense System) was developed to prevent a vehicle from being hit by ballistic threats. The system is also known under the name AAC in Sweden and under the name Shark in France. AMAP-ADS is by now one of the fastest active protection systems. In contrast to millisecond systems like Raytheon's Quick Kill or IMI's Iron Fist it is a microsecond system, needing only microseconds to react. This reduces the minimum defeat distance and enables protection against more different threats like RPGs or EFPs. [5] Sensors for target detection and countermeasures are installed all around the vehicle. The system weight is 140 kg for light vehicles and up to 500 kg for heavy vehicles.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Seele07 ().

• Germanico wrote:

I am totally open to provide individual bonuses to units as you've asked for, but not a one size fits all. Once we have this game relatively stable in regards to combat and economy I would very much like to look a bit deeper into specializing the individual units...
      Have you anything planned to give the european MBT a special bonus by the next update? :whistling:
    • Ok, it is also a very good thing to reduced the research costs. :thumbsup:
      The price is not so important. Only the manpower can be reduced a little.
      Normal the manpower of the eastern doctrin MBT must lower than the other doctrins, because the eastern doctrins have only 3 men per tank and the T-14 only 2.
    • And remember a infantry unit needs only 1000 manpower. Only 100 more than a tank regiment? And in 1 tank european or western doctrin are 4 men. In a eastern doctrin tank only 3 men or only 2 in a T-14 Armata.
    • And there are many players they only use mot. infantry and air units.
      If the mot. infantry, mech infantry, marines and air mobile infantry needs more manpower, the spamming of theese units ended.
      My suggestion: All infantry that can conquer a province costs 1500 manpower.
      And special forces only 900 manpower
      and the MBT eastern doctrin: 800

The post was edited 1 time, last by Seele07 ().