MASSIVE UPDATE 20170914

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Since playing a few games, and with the changes to how troops are built (needing arms industries and their huge cost early game) I can't see me annexing anything. 2000 RM can get me Mech infantry, Marines, Tank Destroyers, strike fighters or close to MBTs. Due to research, I need to make sure my army can actually conquer lands.

Games seem very slow as well, not sure how much I like that. It seems that RM has caused some serious inflation, with us having to use it for nearly every major aspect of the game: troop building, annexing and resources.

National guard as well...I did like this idea, but now I'm not going to waste 900 RM on them. Sorry. I retract my first post.
  • About annexation, how about "annex is proportional to the population" ? It's in idea heard here and there. The general price over annexation is to put it as a long term investment. So... this kind of price can be "fair" if you have taken a 9 pop city (mid-late), but far less if you devastated an opponent :D
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Opulon wrote:

About annexation, how about "annex is proportional to the population" ? It's in idea heard here and there. The general price over annexation is to put it as a long term investment. So... this kind of price can be "fair" if you have taken a 9 pop city (mid-late), but far less if you devastated an opponent :D
    then the strategy would be bomb the hell out of Citys then to reduce population before occupying. Annexing isn't so much a "choice" and more of If we get the resources to get it. I do believe its a bit too high. But to be fair, I'd rather annex first then build. Just makes more sense in my mind.
  • Robert2424 wrote:

Opulon wrote:

About annexation, how about "annex is proportional to the population" ? It's in idea heard here and there. The general price over annexation is to put it as a long term investment. So... this kind of price can be "fair" if you have taken a 9 pop city (mid-late), but far less if you devastated an opponent :D
    then the strategy would be bomb the hell out of Citys then to reduce population before occupying. Annexing isn't so much a "choice" and more of If we get the resources to get it. I do believe its a bit too high. But to be fair, I'd rather annex first then build. Just makes more sense in my mind.
    I disagree on the bombing of cities to reduce population before occupying them. The penalty for crimes against civilians has been raised in this update, I'm sure that will be a good deterrent. Adding the fact that the resource and money output, and gaining of victory points, would all be lowered by the amount of civilian casualties caused, I think its safe to say people wont intentionally kill civilians for the sake of a lower annexation cost. It would be counter productive.
  • The use I see for the new "National Guard" is a city defenders.
    They move too slowly and have too little offensive power to put into battle, but when a city isn't building anything else and you have extra manpower - build some national guards.
    Two guard units are roughly as strong one motorized infantry, they are quick to build, A stack of 10 guards in a bunker could do a bang up job holding ownership of a critical city until reinforcements arrive.

National guard units are not going to accompany MBTs into battle, nor jump out of planes beside special forces, They are going to do what guardsmen have always done: Drink and play cards in the mess hall until something nasty happens, then they will walk to work. :P
    "Gentlemen, When the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon"
    -- Admiral Horatio Nelson --
  • Not suited to offensive/agressive player, though. In terms of cost, it's basically a 1/2 inf, meaning that in terms of costs/upkeep, you trade speed against HP (~90% reduction of speed against 100% bonus HP), which is actually pretty nice
    it's not that bad, it's just not flexible. But it can be appreciated by "not very active" players that want to not let empty the cities, and late game players tight on the upkeep

For Kristovi, it isn't fit, either because he is not a defensive player, either because his games finish themselves in a short time.

I would maybe recommand to give the first lvl for free, though, or with the research time of the infantry.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • I agree with that. The first level should be free. In fact, it should be the only tech available at day 1, to build some static troops fast. For exemple if there is a strong coalition against you at the very begining.
    But, then, why would we develop the other levels ? They just cost too much.
    I don't say it's a bad idea. It's just that it needs some little rework.
    Frexit
  • Yeah. As the unit is basically impossible to move without logistics and airfields, maybe it could just be given away to speed mobilise troops in the early. As for the cost, well... it's the good old rare material problem, so i agree, but the problem isn't directly related to the unit :D
  • Kristovi wrote:

I agree with that. The first level should be free. In fact, it should be the only tech available at day 1, to build some static troops fast. For exemple if there is a strong coalition against you at the very begining.
    But, then, why would we develop the other levels ? They just cost too much.
    I don't say it's a bad idea. It's just that it needs some little rework.
    IMO National Guard shouldn't be completely free to research. It should cost some resources but research time should be like 30 min. It needs also slighty biger bonus in defence in urban area, maybe even 100%.

POWER:

Defence of the CityHow it is?Attack
    2 units of National Guard
    >
    1 Motorized infantry
    1 Motorized infantry
    >
    1 Motorized infantry

COST:

ResourcesNational Guard/2 units of National Guard1 Motorized infantry
    Supplies350/700650
    Components275/550550
    Man power450/9001000
    Cash500/10001000

TIME:

UnitResearch timeMobilization timeTotal
    National Guard12h 0m 0s8h 0m 0s20h 0m 0s
    Motorized infantry0h 1m 30s18h 0m 0s18h 1m 30s

Of course you have to build 2 units to stand against your enemy so it's not 20h but 28h of course (or even more*).

At this moment totally not worth it. It's still better to build basic infantry cuz:
    - it's cheaper (cost to quality ratio)
    - you will get it faster
    - it moves faster
    - has better anty air defence
    - you don't have to care about morale*
    - you can use it also in attack in the future

*You start with 70% morale so NG doesn't have full HP in first few days.