Missile Defense

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Missile Defense

This is the first time I've had missiles coming towards me, so I'm a little confused on things.

1. How does attacking a missile work? I can't seem to target them with my strike jets or ships, even though they have the capabilities to attack missiles. Is it because they would take too long to get to the missile and destroy it before it hits it's target? If that is case, why didn't my corvette and frigate attack the missile that was aiming for my other corvette that was right next to them? Have I just encountered some sort of bug?

2. If I place jets in a patrol over an area where a missile has been fired, will they automatically attack the next missile that is fired as soon as it is airborne?
    • 1. I'm not sure why your strikers wouldn't lock on, if I have any in the area that's usually what I try first. As for your ships, the best way I can explain them is that you can't tell them to attack something airborne. For things with 'active attack' like frigates, SAMs, etc., they will attack something when it comes within range. For anything with 'passive attack' (ie, defense points against missiles but no attack values) like corvettes, they can only shoot it when it reaches them.

2. I would not recommend this because there might be enemy AA protecting it but even if there isn't it still wouldn't be a good idea because a) a single launcher would have to reload for a while in which they have time to get their planes in the air and take yours out (unless you sent strikers. Then you don't have to wait for another launch and can directly attack the launcher). If there are multiple launchers don't forget that planes only attack on a patrol when the counter reaches zero. Meaning that if you park them overhead then the enemy has fifteen minute intervals where he can launch his missiles unhindered ( if you are not online to tell your planes to lock onto them).

I feel like my explanation was too complicated, was this helpful?
    • Thanks for the answers. There are still some things I don't understand though, my frigate did not attack the missile even though it was in range. When i checked the missile's health, it was 5/5. I had 2 corvettes and one frigate, all of which have the 'active attack' ability, it would have been more than enough to kill that missile. I guess the guy who fired the missile got extremely lucky?

Yeah I think you are right about the patrolling idea, however there was very little AA in the area (lucky me). I actually was not aware of the planes only attacking after the patrol timer reached 0, that is really good to know, so thanks. Anyway, I later confirmed that the missile launchers were subs, and since I don't have any subs of my own (I really should get some), it was hard to counter them. I did manage to kill a couple using my frigate and corvettes, and some SPGs.

Overall, your explanation was very helpful. I still wish I knew why my jets wouldn't lock on but, I guess I'll try again when the chance arises and see if they still can't lock on. For now I'll rely on finding what is launching the missile and destroying it as soon as possible. Thanks again for the help!