non upgrading tech

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• non upgrading tech

Ok, I think this might get some complaints, but how about when you research a new tech, it doesn't upgrade your existing units?

As it is right now you can build up a core of units during early peace times, and then they get to take advantage of the latest tech changes, without having to wait. A more realistic scenario is all the f-5's sitting on runways aren't instantly replaced by f-16s, when a new tech is released, you have to build up the units.

Building up units early saves a huge amount of resources. For example lvl 1 ASF costs 1000 components, 550 men 950 electronics and 4000 cash. a lvl 7 ASF costs 1400 components, 750 men, 1250 electronics, and 4750 cash. So roughly every 4 aircraft you build early is a free aircraft later on. These scalings hold true for most units I have checked. This doesn't make sense to me. New units should be rarer.

The advantage game wise to not auto upgrading units is it encourages players to not take the initial nest egg of resources and splurge on infantry and crv's as those units become quite ineffective later in the game at their beginning levels. it also means that if you research a new tech you don't suddenly dominate your opponent who might be slightly behind you in that tree. If I have 8 f-111's and my opponent has 5 f-111's, and suddenly he has 5 strike eagles, he will blow me out of the sky!

I feel that not upgrading all existing units will give more balance to the build v research strategy, where you have to be smarter about whether you build up units early on and have better defenses, but then later suffer for it, or you risk lacking defense while getting better tech for mid game...

It will also make the later game units seem more "elite" as you may only have a few b1 lancer bombers, and be less willing to risk them, but also make them a much more intimidating weapon.
    ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
  • If memory serves me well, there was a thread about this months ago and the devs decided they would not implement this idea. Nevertheless, I think this would be a pretty interesting idea. It's a little weird when I notice that a possible enemy has better ASF and all I have to do is research the next level of ASF in order to be on par with him in terms of ASF power. Of course that doesn't mean I will have the same amount of ASF jets available as he does, but I would definitely be in a better position to fight him in the air. This feels very unrealistic. Real militaries have a bunch of different vehicles, weapons, aircraft, etc. some are old some are new, some get more upgrades in order to fit modern times, others get put out of service.

I think it would be really interesting to have to build up newer units, while slowly phasing out older ones as the game goes on. This idea would add a better sense of realism, and you would have to think twice about how you build your stacks. It would force us to decide how to use a mix of both old and new units together, much like a real military would.