To nuke or not to nuke ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Liqter wrote:

Convo before war
      Hmmm, If the surprise attack hasn't done you too much damage, then I would be inclined to say " Ceasefire Now. Get Out in 4 hours or I will Atomize your biggest cities" The guy knows you have nukes so unless the player is a clueless kid ... they will get out. Keep your nukes for when they are the weapon of last resort.
      "Gentlemen, When the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon"
      -- Admiral Horatio Nelson --
    • Blastradius wrote:

Hmmm, If the surprise attack hasn't done you too much damage
      He brought 8 destroyers,3 frigates with several landing parties , took a homeland port , destroyed a couple SAM's a couple TDS units . I lost 5 strike fighters , 5 naval strike fighters , 2 corvette , a destroyer and frigate , a few other units in the fight to get my city back. I killed his destroyer/Frigate fleet , sank some landing craft with tanks/arty/ and mech or marines and i nuked his Capitol and another city.
    • Liqter wrote:

Blastradius wrote:

Hmmm, If the surprise attack hasn't done you too much damage
      He brought 8 destroyers,3 frigates with several landing parties , took a homeland port , destroyed a couple SAM's a couple TDS units . I lost 5 strike fighters , 5 naval strike fighters , 2 corvette , a destroyer and frigate , a few other units in the fight to get my city back. I killed his destroyer/Frigate fleet , sank some landing craft with tanks/arty/ and mech or marines and i nuked his Capitol and another city.
      dayum thats some heavy damage done to you dawg.You know what, atomize his every city to teach that guy a lesson.
    • Do Nukes work against enemy naval units now ?

I remember using a nuke against a giant invasion fleet during a game, and utterly nothing happened to any of the inbound enemy ships.
      It was one of those "Oh Nuts, now what" moments. I'm not a fan of WMD but I think inbound enemy ships are fair game.
      "Gentlemen, When the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon"
      -- Admiral Horatio Nelson --
    • BM's and ICBMs are targeted against stationary targets - ie. province or city map points - not units.
      If these units were gone or not close to the impact area this explains the result.

If you'd used a nuclear CM you would have pulverized the targeted vessel on impact... IF you'd gotten through the air defences.

As you can see, it's an intricate system and not a "nuke it all" strategy.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I tend to think of nukes as defensive units. I don't want to nuke a city that I plan to take over. I really just nuke a city that has a whole bunch of troops that i need dead in it. depending on what country you are playing, if he has a huge invasion force coming in. I like using the russian approach. destroy all the buildings in the cities he is attacking before combat begins, pull units back, use terrain for defense.

If you have mountains. put missile and mobile arty stacks with some sam or aa protection and pummel him as he moves slowly toward you. use air mobile or bm's to take out airfields he has so he can't airstrike you. build up motor inf and sit in areas like forests where you get def+ and he has attack -. then go for ASF units. research them deep and bulid them everywhere you can. they will take out his strikes, and helo's.

Remember if he has nukes, unless they are "golden" he sacrificed in other areas to get them. he either has mostly lvl 1 units, or he has a lousy economy.

you want to really hurt him? sneak some infantry into an attack on his capital. they won't hold it, but all you need to do is take it. he will pull back fast, because he won't know what else you have coming in there and losing his homeland is death. With nukes he won't have much to defend himself.

The best defense is still a good offense. And imho, nukes are kind of a lousy offense.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • Ok thanks @Last warrior, I didn't know him, and i guess I assumed he was a little new, so I would pass on my opinion. No offense meant @Liqter. I really hope i didn't sound condescending, it was not my intention
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.