Help

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So, let's get this straight, I m on day 1 as Sweden and this is the first time i m playing as Sweden. And i literally have no idea what to do. Can you give some helpful tips? would appreciate it a lot. I m more used to playing as European Nations (Italy,Germany,France,Poland) and Asian Countries (Pakistan). So, what's the deal with Sweden and how to play with it? which strategy should i use? what should be my playstyle etc. etc.
    • Ok quick geography lesson, sweden is technically a european nation. But anyway. I find playing sweden depends on your allies you make. If you are going to war with norway, get gunships and attack helo's. otherwise getting through the mountains will take forever. They would be my first researches after the 30 minute ones. If you are attacking finland, go deep into motor and tanks. he only really has forests to protect him across land, but you may want to build a few corvettes. they are great in the mostly coastal waters between finland and sweden. Don't spend much on research on them as they will only be used the first few days. Attack helsinki from the sea with corvettes clearing the way of boats, and air sup fighters keeping the air clear.

on ASF's. Build at least 5. set oslo to building them asap and use them to cover whatever your main target area is. if you are motor/tank you have very little air cover. ASF's wipe out helo's and 5 is the stack optimum. Don't worry about strikes yet as your tanks will be more effective against anything he has.

Leave cm's for a while. Range is short for the first while anyway, and cost to research will bleed you of units and economic upgrades.

When you do research strikes, get naval strikes right after (cheap and fast to do) and build them instead. Their increased attack on ships WILL save you when you get invaded from poland or germany or the UK.

MAKE FRIENDS. This is true for any game, but sweden especially, as you want to be able to fly your units into a friendly mainland city not have to land an attack and have ships or navy strikes destroy your armada.

Research at least basic marines. take denmark and their islands. it is an easy win, and you need marines to take him out entirely due to islands. you can't reach the faroe islands with air mobile AFAIK, so marines are needed.

Once you have the nordic countries secured either by coalition or conquered. I would recommend building up air units. bombers, naval patrol planes, at least lvl 4 ASF's. You want your forces to go into softened targets, and you are going to be long range from everyone unless you have friendly airfields. Attack/gunship helo's are an after thought at this point. maybe build some gunships for quick suppression of rogue states.

I personally prefer going to war with Russia. he usually has so many fronts he can't effectively combat you. taking murmansk is an easy take and it gives you more oil which you need. it also lets you move through st. petes to move into eastern europe. it is easier than trying to take the uk or germany. germany is your worst enemy as he is close enough to attack you with helo's so you need AA units quickly and they are costly for limited use. Also you can only really attack him hear bremen without using marines or air mobile.

For infantry i would recommend focusing on motor and marines. marines are best to take cities. motor are best to defend. if you go the land route through russia to eastern europe, you will be facing lots of armor and cheap infantry. this means tanks are your go to unit. 3 tanks and 2 motor inf can conquer a lot of territory. researching and upgrading tanks will do you far more good than spending on cm's. CM's suck vs infantry, and tanks have lots of hp, so he will need to spam his cm's to take your stacks. and that gets really costly. he won't have enough rare to build up cm's and his economy in the early game, so if he attacks with cm's - CHEER. he has no depth to his units or economy.

Once established in europe mainland. when you can annex a city. pick one with decent buildings already so you can produce right away. After that, fight like any european country you feel like from mid game on.

Just my opinion, there are endless ways to do it.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

Ok quick geography lesson, sweden is technically a european nation. But anyway. I find playing sweden depends on your allies you make. If you are going to war with norway, get gunships and attack helo's. otherwise getting through the mountains will take forever. They would be my first researches after the 30 minute ones. If you are attacking finland, go deep into motor and tanks. he only really has forests to protect him across land, but you may want to build a few corvettes. they are great in the mostly coastal waters between finland and sweden. Don't spend much on research on them as they will only be used the first few days. Attack helsinki from the sea with corvettes clearing the way of boats, and air sup fighters keeping the air clear.

on ASF's. Build at least 5. set oslo to building them asap and use them to cover whatever your main target area is. if you are motor/tank you have very little air cover. ASF's wipe out helo's and 5 is the stack optimum. Don't worry about strikes yet as your tanks will be more effective against anything he has.

Leave cm's for a while. Range is short for the first while anyway, and cost to research will bleed you of units and economic upgrades.

When you do research strikes, get naval strikes right after (cheap and fast to do) and build them instead. Their increased attack on ships WILL save you when you get invaded from poland or germany or the UK.

MAKE FRIENDS. This is true for any game, but sweden especially, as you want to be able to fly your units into a friendly mainland city not have to land an attack and have ships or navy strikes destroy your armada.

Research at least basic marines. take denmark and their islands. it is an easy win, and you need marines to take him out entirely due to islands. you can't reach the faroe islands with air mobile AFAIK, so marines are needed.

Once you have the nordic countries secured either by coalition or conquered. I would recommend building up air units. bombers, naval patrol planes, at least lvl 4 ASF's. You want your forces to go into softened targets, and you are going to be long range from everyone unless you have friendly airfields. Attack/gunship helo's are an after thought at this point. maybe build some gunships for quick suppression of rogue states.

I personally prefer going to war with Russia. he usually has so many fronts he can't effectively combat you. taking murmansk is an easy take and it gives you more oil which you need. it also lets you move through st. petes to move into eastern europe. it is easier than trying to take the uk or germany. germany is your worst enemy as he is close enough to attack you with helo's so you need AA units quickly and they are costly for limited use. Also you can only really attack him hear bremen without using marines or air mobile.

For infantry i would recommend focusing on motor and marines. marines are best to take cities. motor are best to defend. if you go the land route through russia to eastern europe, you will be facing lots of armor and cheap infantry. this means tanks are your go to unit. 3 tanks and 2 motor inf can conquer a lot of territory. researching and upgrading tanks will do you far more good than spending on cm's. CM's suck vs infantry, and tanks have lots of hp, so he will need to spam his cm's to take your stacks. and that gets really costly. he won't have enough rare to build up cm's and his economy in the early game, so if he attacks with cm's - CHEER. he has no depth to his units or economy.

Once established in europe mainland. when you can annex a city. pick one with decent buildings already so you can produce right away. After that, fight like any european country you feel like from mid game on.

Just my opinion, there are endless ways to do it.
      Holy cow that was an awesome strategy that you presented right here. Unfortunately, I was defeated in a long coalition war. There were like 4 nations attacking me on 3 fronts. And my allies were already half-dead. But when i play as sweden again, i m going to be using this strategy from now on. Also, can you give some general tips about the game. Like, the basic things that i should research etc.? Thank you a lot for your help !
    • Germanico wrote:

Warspite‘s finest. Great write up.

I propose to collect these detailed player strategies and add them to our wiki if you concur.

//G
      ok. WOW. I seriously would never have thought I would get complimented in such a way. I am truly humbled. Thanks for the positive feedback. I think that for any player wanting to learn tactics should read the forums, and take part. I learned so much from the top players on here.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • senancox wrote:

Holy cow that was an awesome strategy that you presented right here. Unfortunately, I was defeated in a long coalition war. There were like 4 nations attacking me on 3 fronts. And my allies were already half-dead. But when i play as sweden again, i m going to be using this strategy from now on. Also, can you give some general tips about the game. Like, the basic things that i should research etc.? Thank you a lot for your help !
      Ok, and this is just my opinion, you REALLY want to read other players strategies because we all have our own blindspots, and we won't see tactics that others will.

The best strategy - read the forums. There is so much information on here from tactics to game mechanics, to unit knowledge. No strategy is going to work against all players or all countries. That said, here are a few general tips I have learned:

Pay attention to terrain - if you have a stack that really rocks on plains or desert, and you decide to attack that weak motor inf stack with one AT unit in a city - you are so wrong. If you get a -25% defense and they have +25% offense, you will need massive numerical advantage. Add to that watch for buildings in cities - bunkers especially higher level bunkers make invasion hell. Same goes for if it is jungle, forest, etc. Pay attention to the terrain YOU are in as well as your target. Watch how different units handle it.

Attacking or Defending - don't pick fights you can't win - I find if for example in the early game I have some crv (ok now afv), and a few infantry and I am facing a city with 4 or 5 motor inf, I am NOT going to attack him. I will slam into a brick wall if I do. motor inf have a great defense esp in a city vs other infantry, and even their armor def will hurt your units. Rather than being the attacker in that case I would prefer to get him to attack me. Sitting outside of the city will sometimes goad a player into attacking you if he doesn't realize the value of terrain, or the differences between attacking and defending. If you attack someone and they don't attack you back, then they only use their def stats. Now if they decide to attack you back, the battle goes WAY faster as there are basically two attacks per hour - You attacking him and him defending, then him attacking you and you defending. Bloodbath ensues. Don't be afraid to NOT attack and when he moves on your units be content with your defense stat being used only. But that only works on high def units. Air mobile and marines? bad idea. So watch your stats and play to unit strengths.

Support units - If all you ever needed was 1 infantry and a pile of tanks, the game would be boring, and if you like that, there are other games in the bytro family that might appeal more. CoN is for players that like the complexity. In my scenario above, if I am playing against someone that is not uniformed - he isn't going to leave his secure location. he will be satisfied tying up my stack doing nothing while he sits with cheap inf building up. So how do you force him to attack you? support units. In this case Artillery. Artillery, when used properly is Thor's Hammer. even the humble towed arty can be dominating in stacks. 5 towed arty sitting outside a city pounding it? they will come out to fight since at least then they can hit back and bloody your nose. Sitting there they will die. Again though diversity is your friend. towed arty is fine for infantry, but armor? you want the big kids. Mobile arty, or if you are serious - rocket arty. Rocket arty is the shock and awe of land forces. put three of them with some air defense on a mountain? watch them eat tank stacks. The range is severe, the damage medieval, and with the slow movement rate in mountains, by the time anything gets to combat range with them, they are being strained to find dog tags.

I put this paragraph in to see if anyone read this far. Hi to both of you.

But they, like every other unit, has weaknesses. Air strikes. If you don't protect your expensive land leviathans from air power, you don't have land power. So AA vs helo's, SAM vs planes, and TDS vs missiles. You won't have all of them in numbers big enough to stop everything. so learn your enemies and respond accordingly. he uses helos? build AA, strikes? Sams on deck. CM's? laugh at him because he spent all his resources on tech way to early with too little return. CM's are a fantastic weapon - mid to late game. Early game, it is a sign of a player that is either inexperienced (in my experience) or a gold junkie. (More on gold later) So defend your units.

Reading this over I think I might be committing the capital sin of condescension. I really don't mean it that way. I don't know much about you as a player, so I don't know what you know and what you don't. I was just going by important lessons I learned. If this is at all useful to you, I can continue with CM tactics, air unit tactics, stacking, or whatever. But as this is already a giant wall of text that only the insomniacs are still reading, I don't want to bore everyone.

Besides I could be WAY off base. Like I said, there are lots of ways to play. No one way is best. I am sure the guys that play the alliance games (Opulon, Cyclone, etc) can be a LOT more insightful. If I play against them, I would be cleared from the map by day 4. I would say day 2, but they are usually smarter than to just rush.

In case ANYONE is still reading....

Make allies, read the forums, but most importantly TRY STUFF OUT. You won't know what works best for you until you try it. And besides, have fun. It's a game - if you get wiped out, oh well join another game.

and as a reward for those bored enough to STILL be reading:

NC9Vp1497936748.jpg
      ----------------------