Annexation of a city

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yes it did. Advantage of annexing a city. You get +50% on resource production, and you can produce units in the city.

For example outside of maybe a bunker, factory, airfield, and hospital, what would you usually want to build in a city? And if you are building a factory to increase resources, the increase in morale when annexed as well as the +50 % resource production means it is better to annex than it would be to say build a level 5 factory.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • Bohemianation wrote:

WHY is it so expensive to annex now?

So your saying that a factory built in an annexed city will produce more than one that is not
      Well, and this is my take on it, G+G may have a better explanation:

Not every city needs to be annexed, and the act of annexation is a pretty big deal. You are effectively saying THIS is part of my homeland now. Germany didn't annex paris, they occupied it. They DID annex Austria. I think in game terms it is so expensive so in the early game you don't just annex everything and have a massive economy with massive build capacity. That ability makes rush attacks in the early game being almost guarantees of winning a match. If you joined a game on day 2 or even 3, chances are a few players would have already taken over whole other countries, and consequently could build 16 or even 24 units per day, and had the resources of 2 or 3 countries. You couldn't really ever catch them and if they attacked you, attrition alone would defeat you, regardless of your skill.

To prevent a first out of the gate win card, costly annexation (which for all intents and purposes makes early game annexations unheard of) prevents domination by production. I may have 1200 vp's but I still probably only have 8 production centers, and maybe +225% resources by mid game. As I select key cities to annex, i will maybe, MAYBE add one production center per week. This balances the game and prevents joining after day 4 being pointless.

As a side benefit, it also speeds up the game in many ways as you don't need to leave forces sitting in a city for two days for annexation to complete and morale to crest 35%. So you main army can move on, and you sit a pair of nat guard in the occupied city for a day until it reaches about 31-32% morale and then move on to the next occupation.

I have found it to be a good balance, but if you are used to the attack/annex/produce model of play, yes, you will need to change your tactics. You can't take a city in europe from Brazil and then produce units there to stronghold it and branch out. Your units will still be produced in homelands.

Going back to WWII example, I don't think german panzers built and manned by parisians would be all that loyal or even work. It is known that munitions factories in Poland intentionally would build defective ammunition as a form of resistance. Now they couldn't have every shell be defective or they would just get killed, but the level of duds in polish to german factories was comically different.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • MrWizardLizard wrote:

Really unfortunate for a situation in my game where I was attacked and lost all my cities..but removed some troops, and took cities in another location to rebuild myself but can't because of the price of annexation. The high annexation price should only be in effect if you have >5 annexed or homeland cities already.
      I used to play an old board/war game called civilization (NOT the sid meier vid game) and when someone lost all their cities but still had troops, they would roam around the map just attacking other civ's. As the game took place in the ancient world, where you had the illyrians, babylonians, assyrians, etc, when a civ was reduced to roaming barbarians, we called them the Hasselites. So in your game if you still have forces but no resources, just roam around attacking empty provinces and being a nuisance or a hassle. And then you may forever earn the title of being an honorary Hasselite.
      ----------------------

• Bohemianation wrote:

War-spite

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So let me ask this, as your army grows you need need your economy also to grow. So how does that happen now? Is there a larger benifit to annex a city than before?
      well not necessarily. But generally FOR your army to grow, you will need to grow your economy. I will usually identify resources i have the lowest production of and build a factory in those on day 1. then i will focus on what i am consuming the most. You can have 400 goods per hour and never have goods on hand if they are always being used in unit creation. Some units eat through your electronics, some your components.. depends on your build strategy.

You grow your economy by building factories and growing their levels. But you ALSO grow it by increasing your populations. a pop 6 city with a lvl 5 factory really doesn't produce more than a pop 9 city with a lvl 3. So you don't want to just build factories. Hospitals and recrutiing centers are good for buiding morale and hospitals increase city pop growth. local industries are generally VERY worth building due to the ROI is often only about 2 days. Again though focus on what you need most. If you are starving for components, it doesn't make sense to 950 components in a local industry to improve your electronics if you are sitting on 10 000 electronics.

In the early game you won't have enough resources. You definitely won't have enough rare to keep 3 research slots going. Don't forget the market. if you have a ton of goods, sell some to get cash, use that cash to buy resources you need. Look at the upkeep costs on units. Do you need to have 5 destroyers? If you don't then why build them now, if they are going to drain you of all your oil in maintenance.

Annexation in mid-game becomes more useful. You will likely need more rare materials as you are wanting the special units, or the really powerful ones. Nukes are NOT cheap. So annexing a city that has rare might be just what you need. BUT remember that with a cost of 5000 rare, you need to calculate your ROI and see when it will actually pay off.

Myself, I find annexation usually starts about mid game when I need a city closer to my theatre of operations. I don't want it to take 18 hours to get units to the battezone after taking a day or more to build them. a 48 hour response time on units from recognizing the need to seeing them in combat requires either incredible foresight or a really casual opponent. So if I need armor to take or defend my current hot zones, I will annex a city, pref a one WITH a lvl 2 army base and a factory as well, that is close enough to have them roll off the line into combat, but far enough away that i am not going to lose the city as it is on the front lines.

So yes, there is larger benefit to annex mid-late game as you likely are no longer fighting near your homelands, and you need a bit more production per day instead of just 8 build orders (your homeland cities). If you are facing off against another opponent that has taken 3 or 4 or 8 other nations down, he very likely has 9, 10 or even 11 production cities. Attrition will destroy you if you don't have new units coming off the line fast enough, and you need to be replacing your mainline units, as well as producing the specialty ones.

Does that make sense? I am not sure if I was clear enough. Sometimes my posts become word marathons.
      ----------------------

• Germanico wrote:

Again one of Warspite‘s finest... thanks for this great write up.

//G
      Thank you again for the compliment, but considering some of my more boneheaded posts, saying my finest, is kind of like saying "it is on par with Opulon drunk posting from his phone". But I do appreciate it.
      ----------------------