Open Letter to the Community

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Open Letter to the Community

Dear core-players and fans,

As some of you have voiced their extreme displeasure with the recent balancing changes, I want to take the opportunity to write you the lengthy explanation I believe you deserve. Let me add that I am personally very saddened by the notion of possibly losing you to our game, as all of you are extremely supportive and engaged members of the CON community, much known and respected in the development team. In the past I have done my best to keep and open and honest approach communicating complicated decisions and you and most other members of the "core" community have proven me right in my strategy. Let me thus explain in all detail why we decided to roll back on the research pricing, and why there cannot be an easy solution:

When we released the third slot and new research prices last week, our hope was to both allow more researches while creating demand for more resources by filling all slots - evening out the price reduction. This strategy failed. As simple as that. Immediately after the release we could monitor a very noticeable drop in premium spending which didn't balance out, and just got worse. Of course, one could point to this being our own fault for trying it out in the first place - and that may be even true from a business perspective. From a game-design and creative point though, I am proud to say that our team has, and will continue to experiment, making the game better and more interesting, for instance by creating a third research slot even without having total security that it works economically. Because not trying out new things would mean extremely conservative and slow gradual changes. Possibly good for business, but neither fun nor providing the opportunity of pushing the game we all love and believe in (and play ourselves) to new horizons. So we had to revert, simply because we need a functioning economy to allow us to also remain developing it in the future. I am absolutely convinced that you and every other member in the core-community will eventually understand my reasoning and hopefully continue supporting us, as you have done so valiantly in the past.

Lastly, I want to touch on the new research pricing structure and explain it a bit more in depth:
    Over the past year we have tried several different approaches for the pricing of researches. The bigger issue is the lack of resources early and abundance of resources later in the game. One could say: Early in the game players have time but no cash - later they have cash but no time... obviously I am abstracting here, but I think you get my drift. Now researches, as you all will agree, are one of the more fun and rewarding parts of the game. And as much as we would like to enable everyone to research at their hearts content, we need to check and balance it for both economical as well as game-mechanical reasons. A few months back we decided to have "tiered" units - essentially not really increasing stats unless reaching a new tier, of which we have three in the game usually: Level 1, Level 4 (often) and level 6 or 7 (depending). These are symbolized by new unit graphics. This was mirrored by the research costs - Tier one costing the same, tier two costing the same and so on.

This game design decision was challenged quickly by many players - and rightfully so. Players (and I include myself here) simply prefer a gradual increase of HP, combat stats and features. It's more rewarding and it’s more fun, thus leading us to slowly soften up the old tiers until we essentially abandoned them more or less completely, all the while retaining the old "stepped" research price system. When last week’s update hit, this was essentially the nail in the coffin for said system. It just didn't work any longer, and I gladly abandoned it for a more logical and intuitive linear increasing system. Most combat units over the progression of all levels of research more or less double their combat value, incorporating offensive and defensive stats, hit points and features. Researches in turn now slowly increase in price to about 150% of their starting values, making it worthwhile to invest while still serving as a “sink” for later game resource abundance. In turn the later researches require much more time, a luxury we can now afford because we are providing three instead of two slots.

Finally I would like to show you how the new system is NOT more expensive or unfair than the old one. Let’s for example compare the Rare Resource prices for Motorized Infantry old/new: A week ago you were paying a total of 11.263 Rares while researching said unit from level 1 to level 7. Today you are paying a total of 11.925 Rares for the same levels of research. The difference is a measly 663 Rare Resources, distributed over 7 levels and 26 days. Reason for this difference simply lies in the fact that we now use an intuitive +10% cost system. So if you still feel that a level increase of 94 Rare Resources comprises an unbearable and inaffordable price hike, then unfortunately I am afraid all my long explanation and justification will not convince you otherwise. For all other players I hope you follow my lead and enjoy the game as it should be – fun to play, trying to balance out pay and free economy while ever improving and evolving.

Yours sincerely,

Germanico
    Creative Director
    Dorado Games
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Ah, there were calls that the reversal would cause some outrage :p.

Obviously, this won't echoes our youngest fanbase, or people uninterested in business dynamics, or people that find that the online ecosystem is strange. I'll however remind a simple life rule that applies to Startups, and so, at least partially to small sized studios like Dorado Games :

Manpower is expensive, and if you don't grow you die.

I don't know the maltese local prices, but if you take a Dev and a Designer, as the primary riflemens of war effort, you would pay for them between and 82 000 bucks (not speaking of veteran dev) and 100 000 bucks (MALTESE COMPANY CHARGES ARE 10% ?! YOU KNOW WE PAY 4 TIMES THIS IN FRANCE ?! *end of rage*) per year. This means that for the bare minimum (that is totally unsufficient for an ambitious game like CoN, let's be honest ;) ), the company needs to generate enough benefits (aka after taxes. I assume that as the payment funnel goes through Bytro, you pay the 19-23% german VAT) through us to pay for those two.

Now, a quick visit on Dorado games website learns to us that they are 8 to 9, with varied fields of expertise as Game Design, Level Design, Dev, Design, Marketing, Communication. I'm sure you can imagine pretty well, at least theoratically, what is needed for those people to get paid, because as much you love a project, obviously, you won't do it for free. (Even if it's more than true that in many startups, CEO and CTO don't pay themselves for one year, eating on their personal cash, in order to make their company beneficial).

By no way, this means "successful company". It means "Not dying today company". A friend of mine, that works in Algolia (algolia.com/) said to me "You have the Grim Reaper behind your desk. It's motivating". A company needs to grow, and to demonstrate to peoples that invest in it (or that... own it), that the product is worth further investments. The "design" behind is a very difficult one : what younglings tend to call "money grabbing" is usually trying to keep in the green the trend, and giving "the max possible" to the users, without jeopardizing the business, aka long term survival.

A lightweight ship like Dorado games can (and needs) to experiment. It is obviously not that fun for us players (data changes, system changes, etc), but if you remind yourself of the business aspect of CoN, well, it's for the better long term, and it would be a deep hypocrisy to say that the "user point of view" is not heard, analysed, and implemented when possible (everyone used to the forum reminds himself of at least one time he saw a patch note directly coming from one of his ideas, given on the forum). Each design decision can have a huge impact on income, and it's why the ship will take turns, sometimes.

Now, if you were wondering why Call of Duty is pretty much the same since 10 years, you also have your answer. It's not lazyness.

There is no miracle, the age of free online games created by one skilled student that only asked for donations to keep the hosting running is long dead. Market expectations have been multiplied by five, and the student now is an expert, and hopes to live well from his trade.

Now, i'll conclude by saying that Dorado Games is (in my memory) the first and only browser game company that is straightforward when something is bad for its business. I find it refreshing when it doesn't sounds like Ubisoft coming to explain to me that they "care for the user, and the user wants to play a game in security, so, because we love our users, we introduced a DRM that checks online connexion 100 000 times a minute, in order for the user to play safely. It was a very hard choice, but we concluded that 2 more Gb of pre-requisite RAM to play our games was an acceptable sacrifice for the love of our players <3"

And i find (not all will agree, of course) that once you aknowledged that a compnay isn't in there "for the charity", there is no traps and mines on the field : discussions can be more relaxed, and point of views more constructive.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • I think you could be misreading the drop in "premium spending".
    I guarantee you that it had much more to do with the server crash and speed games than anything else. The update didn't even register in the minds of the players I talk to. People just talked about the speed games.

Everyone is grateful that they are back up and things are running smoothly again. But it was a big blow to the enthusiasm and motivation of the community as a whole.
    Mostly, I think your update went completely unnoticed. Sort of like when you did an Alliance update but covered it up with the massive change to air infantry. No one noticed it.

Timing is everything.
  • Hi Cyclone,

that the crash was a major setback and didn't help the economy is a fact.
    On a good note the crash actually brought to light some very nasty issues we were now able to fix - hopefully preventing anything of this magnitude happening again.
    So like out of comparable bad experiences we were able to extract future improvements, helping everyone in the coming speed events.

Also we will be hosting a repeat of said 3x Speed Event on the coming Weekend.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 1 time, last by Germanico ().

• I kind of agree with cyclone. Now I am not one of the rare, but wonderful, $200 a night gold junkies that let's face it, are a good chunk of how you keep the lights on, but I do buy gold on probably a monthly basis. I totally get that as much as you enjoy doing it, it's business, and the bills gotta be paid. I have no issue with enticing people to spend to buy resources, but I can see how some people might find it "forceful" when a balance causes large shortfalls. I don't think that is entirely your intention, sure you want people to open the pay pal, but you do seem to have a real respect and enjoyment of your community.

Just my two cents, and like I said, I am not the whale player that frankly has more weight to there opinion, not necessarily because he spends more, but because he will have more insight into what GETS someone to pay more, or not pay as the case may be. That said, imho, I think that some may be frustrated when gold gets a, let's call it an "unfair" advantage. It's not unfair,anyone can buy gold (and to be honest 60K for like $20 or whatever it is is kind of stupid cheap. People drop $800 to buy the latest iphone because it matches their latte cup..

Yes you SHOULD be able to buy game advantages. That is the biggest carrot you have. But i don't think it is the only carrot. What I think might be (ok I don't have graphic artists on staff, I have no clue how hard it is) really intriguing is features that DON'T affect gameplay, but affect immersion or customization. Say for example you can buy a French (opulon!) skin set. So the units are the exact same units. The difference is the unit name and the picture. Game wise they are no advantage at all. No unfairness. But for the casual buyer like myself, if I could buy a Canada skin, and have my early crv's be cougars, and my tier 3's be LAV III's ? Hell ya I am buying it. It can also include 'buying' naming. For example you might get to rename your cities (names are subject to approval) but I think it would be awesome sauce if I could capture Istanbul and rename it Constantinople. Germany captures London, and renames it Little Berlin.. No game advantage, but wicked fun for the immersion factor.

Naming unit stacks (The british 8th army, the 82nd airborne, Gurkhas for Indian spec force, etc) is another purchase. I also think premium account players maybe could have special rules in games they start. Say for example they can impose a 1-5 day peace period, they can set the max coalition size, or make agent costs a game starter set value. So If i start a game that i want to be spy heavy, i could set the price to 2000 for agents instead of 10. It isn't 'unfair' (ok it might unbalance a little..) but it isn't for every match, it is for THAT match, and it affects all players, just as the guy that opened his wallet, I got to pick.

Those are just a few ways I think that some non game advantage purchases can really bring in income or increase the subscription rates.

I know having an IT company, I love getting nice big projects that pay a bag of cash, but the bills get paid by the stuff i can count on. The regular monthly fees that get paid, that allow me to have some form of a budget. The more people you entice into premium accounts, the more stable your revenue. But if premium gives TOO much of an advantage in terms of game balance, as gold spamming can, it runs the risk to taking the larger casual player pool to resentment land, and that is not a good road trip.

Ok, done. I know, I know, I know. I broke the forum rules. Again. I talked about gold club. first rule of gold club. BUT, in my defense (not the BAN hammer! noooooo!) YOU guys brought up the spending of money. And I don't think I have said anything negative about giving you all some of our hard earned. If you feel this post bends (breaks? shattered? NUKED?!?!?) the posting rules, feel free to delete. I will understand. It's your world, i'm just renting space in it.
    ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
  • I think a lot of players CoN are patriots and they love it to have units from their countries
    My suggestion for more gold features:
    National edition: If I choose germany as nation, I can choose national edition for gold. The doctrin are also the same (european), but then I have more units from the german army (Bundeswehr)
    Airsuperior fighter tier 1 then is the Phantom II, tier 2 the Mig 29 and tier 3 the same like now. TDS tier 1 Nike, tier 2 Patriot.
    You dont must designe new models. We have the most always in the game. Only annother colour would be nice. 8)
    Also you can see from which countries comes the most players. And then make a special edition for this country.

Also nations like poland with a mixed from all 3 doctrines are interessting

If this would be implement, I will buy it if I play Germany, or annother interessting nation with a special edition. :)
    „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
  • Seele07 wrote:

If this would be implement, I will buy it if I play Germany, or annother interessting nation with a special edition. :)
    Oh yeah, I would TOTALLY buy this too. If I could play Canada and have a mix of euro /western units? CF-18's, LAV III tank destroyers, euro mech inf, ... I would be on that like white on rice. I have even gone so far when playing as Canada, to build my units in the same groups (3 mech infantry groups with support units, 2 armor battalions, 2 wings of fighters..) and put them in accurate locations. I even limited myself to units that Canada had. So no CV's no CA's, no SAM or TDS, no attack helo's. It was hard as hell, but fun. If i could get the skins to match accurately, regardless of if the stats all stayed the same, I would be putting down some hard earned for that.
    ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
  • Hi Dante,
    thank you for sharing your thoughts, I'll try to address them here. For the increased realism of the map - it is a challenge of equilibrium between gameplay balancing and realism - as you pointed out yourself, in comparison to CoW/Sup, CoN is more complex, increasing the difficulty level by sticking to realistic country balancing would limit the player base to more and more hardcore players. Speaking of that, we do have something planned for future. About Ukrainie and Poland doctrines - stay tuned for next update. You have also mentioned optimization and interface issues, but as you know, we are constantly improving the game, one step at a time.
  • 1. Modern warfere is complicated. If you have only few units it is not modern warfare.
    2. My suggestion is to spend money for a better look. I only use few gold, but without gold this game is game over. To use too much gold for me is not a satisfaction, because I have only payed for win.
    So I will support this game and my suggestion is a national edition. May be also the Ukraine can be have a mix of european, western and eastern units.
    „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
  • I am totally on Seele's side here: If I could have total freedom of creation I would offer you guys national unit packs tomorrow.
    Unfortunately there are some very technical, very legacy driven issues (the shop being one) currently preventing us from doing so.
    This being said, we are planning to offer these visual improvements, and yes, I would buy them myself as well.

@Dante: threatening us not to buy gold anymore because we are using it to give players a benefit is really not helping at all - and I am rather fed up with discussing our business with people who are complaining about the main source of income of our company. Let me make it clear: Being nice and giving everyone what he asks for and more, while selling vanity items that have no game benefit is the safest and easiest way of failing business wise. If you don't believe me, and my experience of nearly 20 years in the industry counts for nothing, then for heavens sake please get yourself a job in the industry and do it better or learn it the hard way.

If you are really interested in the ongoing discussion about this topic just follow gamasutra or other game dev sources discussing it in depth and you will see that the industry is a very difficult time at the moment, with the saturation of mobile games, the questionable future of "simple to learn and play" browser titles and the swamping of indie games to platforms such as Steam. I value critical input, but constantly questioning our business decisions does not in any way contribute to a healthy and fruitful (and hopefully fun) gaming or working experience.

//G
  • @Germanico

If some one try open player ligue in CoN, would we get help from devs? In CoW PL-masters are working with devs. they have some right wich common player doesn't. For PL only was switched playable swiss, but only for PL-gamemaster. They even could add some units at any day of game round. I saw for example atom aircarrier on day 20 from PL gamemaster. After i wrote him cheating joke he delated this.

Sure PL should be first thing of players. But at some point we could need a help to prove some violation of PL-rules.
    I have already a thought, how to try ground PL without help of devs. but i would glad to know, that we would not punished for PL creation. Because top players would change to PL. And rest of player base who did not qualified (in casue of PL rule violation) would get less ingame experiance. And can may be boring after a while without challenging best players.

And please give us statistiks back. Or introduce new spy category for hunting statistik information (but not too expensicive).
  • @Germanico, I can't see Dante's post so I can't comment on it's content, but I hope you didn't take my comment as critical, especially of your primary income for Dorado. I have no experience as a game developer, so I would totally defer to your experience and knowledge on what works and what doesn't for gaming. I only can speak to what I as one player would be more than happy to pay for. I could very easily be in the minority, and I trust your opinion on what works and what doesn't. I have seen in many mmo's the "visual only" elements getting purchased, but without in depth knowledge of how everything is done, I am pleading ignorance.

I hope my post was not taken as offensive. I play one mmo, and this. That is it for my current game play, as I am generally too busy to get anything else in. I very much enjoy the product you are producing, and when I provide feedback in the forums, it is just that. You decide if it is useful or not, but I will just keep putting my two cents in. Maybe sometimes I might provide something helpful.

Regardless to the business side of CoN, it is a very addicting game, and I think you and your team have done an outstanding job.

Thank you.
    ----------------------

• Germanico wrote:

Immediately after the release we could monitor a very noticeable drop in premium spending which didn't balance out
    I don't know if people touched on this point, I don't know if Dorado Games just keep track of how much gold people are spending or if they keep track of what are these people spending on, so, maybe the drops occurred because of less needing to speed the researchs up because you can get a lot of rare metals during the mid game, when everybody killing eachother and conquering a lot of nations.
  • Well, recently the spy costs were raised for gold user. This was definitely not helping them. Especially for players coming from CoW and Supremacy, where gold users tend to spam it for the "intel".

Now, of course, it's a F2P. F2P implies P2W to some extent. It's something we agree on when we play for free to a game that is so heavily updated, while keeping the "Free if you want" model (Game as a service, after all)

The most "P2W" aspect of CoN maybe is that "ultimately", someone who has unlimited funds can't be "beaten". But whenever you make some "processes" to see what cost what... CoN isn't that designed for P2W. If you take "paying for victory" as a product, CoN may ask you up to 500 bucks to win a single game. Ludicrous. Many games, especially F2P MMO, allow you to dominate a server for the quarter of this amount.

The way i see (or feel it, after all, i'm a customer to), is that CoN does have several sweetspots where it seduces you with the promise of making too hard situations into more easy ones. Some bucks here and there. And the majority of gold users i see, besides the huuuuuge whales, are people that don't focus specifically on "winning with gold", but more "helping myself a little with gold". And this has a very large spectre. From the guy who get some intel, and the guy who doesn't want to wait for his stealth air fighter.... to the guy so pissed off by a discussion that he wants to pay for feeling over-dominant.

Yeah... we are talking F2P, after all, but ironically, i wouldn't say that "changes made P2W games easiers". I think changes try to develop the incentives of the players to help themselves. It's an important difference to me, because i suffered, on other game, of true P2W models... and it's very dirty.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Opulon wrote:

The most "P2W" aspect of CoN maybe is that "ultimately", someone who has unlimited funds can't be "beaten". But whenever you make some "processes" to see what cost what... CoN isn't that designed for P2W. If you take "paying for victory" as a product, CoN may ask you up to 500 bucks to win a single game. Ludicrous. Many games, especially F2P MMO, allow you to dominate a server for the quarter of this amount.

Yeah... we are talking F2P, after all, but ironically, i wouldn't say that "changes made P2W games easiers". I think changes try to develop the incentives of the players to help themselves. It's an important difference to me, because i suffered, on other game, of true P2W models... and it's very dirty.
    I totally agree Opulon. I had a game going that was at like day 30 or something, about 8 players left in two large factions. This was before I understood how to use CM's (and before the big CM nerf), i sent about 15 missiles into a stack of ships and non of them got through.. trash talking by my target ensued, and I wallet raged. I blew 100K gold in about 45 minutes, and even with that, I was not even close to winning.

In my opinion the only way a p2w works in CoN is if they decide day 1 to go full wallet war, and spend a ton on day 1-4 to research like crazy and build everything. At that point you become "kind of" invincible just because you have such a head start. Even then though you still have a slog to beat everyone. By the time your forces get to the other side of the map, your enemies will have built up quite a bit.

I also see a lot where you have a p2w scenario developing, that the other players are more likely to team up against that person, so you end up fighting 12-15 countries at the same time. Unless you have a trust fund, you will end up losing. But you can always take solace in the fact that you bought @Germanico and his crew each new Aston Martin's. They appreciate them, so you did a good thing. But you still lost.

8|
    ----------------------