Additional Roleplayer Features

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Additional Roleplayer Features

Good Day Everyone at Bytro and Dorado!

I would like to share an idea I developed over the last 24 hours, for the Growing Roleplay Community on CoN. I have found that CoN's mechanics are great for simulating realistic combat on a modern setting, and the Roleplays I have participated as of now have demonstrated it. The one thing I find that seems to be missing, is some options to make Roleplays more customizable, and interesting. In order to do that, there must be options that in the wrong hands, can be abused by players abroad. In addition to the idea's I have, I will propose ways to prevent these features from being abused. I would like to inform you beforehand that this will hop around a little, please bear with me. :D

Roleplayer Mode
      This is the Prerequisite for all the proposals I am making. You cannot use any features I propose without Roleplayer Mode being set active on a map you create. This will keep random players from abusing the features on a non-roleplay match. In order to activate Roleplayer Mode, you must have Roleplayer Status. See the Roleplayer Status section for more information.

Nation Editing
      One feature of this is Nation Editing. What this entails is that players on must be on a match with active Roleplayer Mode in order for this feature to work. This concept is one allowing players to change the name of their Nation, their flag, their Leader Title, and their Leader Name.

As Bytro has experienced, this feature has been abused on Supremacy 1914, and has ultimately ended their will to add it to any of their other games, as some players cannot resist the urge to use a Swastika as their flag. In the Roleplayer Status, I will propose a way to keep people from abusing this feature. The uses for this on Roleplays is endless. Changes of Office, Coup D’etats, Revolutions, and so much more. So long as the amount of players who can use the Nation Editing is limited, abuse should not be an issue at all.

Scenario Creating
      Another feature of Roleplayer Mode is that Roleplayers have access to a unique editor, that allows them to pull up maps (without exposing codes and stuff) and change create custom starting scenarios. Players can set all the lands up in a unique way to create a scenario that doesn’t exist on CoN already, like making an alternate future map where the Soviet Union won the Cold War, or any other scenario that suits the needs of a Roleplayer. Another example, is adding more playable nations to the game, or removing them in a way to change the way the map must be played. By allowing Roleplayers to edit some features as opposed to all of them, crucial code that has to be viewed to create a map’s geography and whatnot could be not shown to players, yet still allows players to use creativity and think a new situation.

Roleplayer Status
      Roleplayer Status would be an attribute that is only applied to certain players on CoN. It is like the Frontline Pioneers on Call of War, in which they gain access to features that are unavailable to the rest of the community, however instead of being randomly selected, you must sign up, and be approved to obtain Roleplayer Status. Whether or not you are approved can be decided by a “Board of Roleplayers” which can be appointed however Bytro and Dorado decide. When they have been admitted Roleplayer Status, they gain access to the above features, and they are able to participate in Roleplays to the maximum capabilities (as any player could join a Roleplay Match, but the in-game Roleplay Features would be like UNSC, you can’t use any in-game Roleplayer Mode features without possessing the Roleplayer Status. All users who abuse Roleplayer Status can be banned from having the attribute, whether it is temporary (and they have to reapply for it) or permanent.

The Benefits
      One of the Benefits of adding Roleplayer Status, and all of its dependencies, is that you can encourage growth of the Roleplaying Community, and gain more players who roleplay in general. A resulting benefit is that there are some features, such as the Scenario creator, and activating Roleplayer Mode on a match, that you can require a user have United Nations Security Council to use. Many Roleplayers see promise in Conflict of Nations as a great venue for Modern Roleplays, and an update adding features like this early on would have a very much positive impact on the Roleplaying Community, and their dedication to CoN.
      PhantomNiqht
      PRIME MINISTER
      FORSAKEN REPUBLIC
    • Thanks for this very good and extensive write up. And yes, I would very much like to encourage more good RP, but...

Unfortunately there are two big problems with the proposal:

a) very work intensive list of features in general
      b) the RP groups involved often actively discourage the use of premium currency for "equality reasons" in their RP rule-sets

These two issues contradict each other and make it extremely complicated internally to argument for the freeing up of resources for said changes.

Nonetheless, let me discuss and assess them and then see if and how we can fit them into our plans.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • @Germanico I am keeping in mind that the features I proposed mean some serious changes to the game, and I also understand that any features that are Added by Bytro and Dorado will almost certainly have to be different from my proposals, because of the nature of coding. I also do know that many members of the Roleplayers Union, a group I am part of, has quite a few people who are subscribed to the United Nations Security Council, and are willing to continue their subscriptions.

I will be writing another thread that I want to run parallel on this in the near future in order to consider potential ways to get around the contradiction :)

Thank you for the speedy response :thumbsup:
      PhantomNiqht
      PRIME MINISTER
      FORSAKEN REPUBLIC
    • I do spent a good portion of my time ( of that playing CoN) on RPs but would not sacrifice nor like to see a sacrifice come from the normal game rounds for the sake of the RP rounds. But I would like to see some more facilitation for those involved in the role playing community. Which I do feel will expand greatly now that CoN is more stable and In my opinion now growing and leaving its early game stages. *stabilisers are off*

A less demanding way to facilitate some of these ideas are to simply make a few *RP reps or RP admins* not quite equal among the support staff but with the responsibility and knowledge of the game. This "RP Admins" would have the ability to add units, resources and many of these other features mentioned above)
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

A less demanding way to facilitate some of these ideas are to simply make a few *RP reps or RP admins* not quite equal among the support staff but with the responsibility and knowledge of the game. This "RP Admins" would have the ability to add units, resources and many of these other features mentioned above)
      Actually I think this is the perfect compromise.

-Bacon230, RPU Site Leader for CoN
      "I know not what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks & stones."
      -Einstein
      "Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind."
      -Kennedy
      "There's a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office I intend to expose this plot."
      -Kennedy,week before his asassanation
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

*RP reps or RP admins* not quite equal among the support staff but with the responsibility and knowledge of the game. This "RP Admins" would have the ability to add units, resources and many of these other features mentioned above
      Hello

I do like your idea, unfortunately,, this part is an issue.

"not quite equal" but "ability to add units"

I'll tell you a little secret. You would have to be above SGO to do this, so it's not a position we can give out easily.

I love your idea, but i don't see how it is possible.

I'll try to se if there is any way to make this work.
      Aeblemost
      Community Coordinator
      Conflict Of Nations | Dorado Games
    • Aeblemost wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

*RP reps or RP admins* not quite equal among the support staff but with the responsibility and knowledge of the game. This "RP Admins" would have the ability to add units, resources and many of these other features mentioned above
      Hello
      I do like your idea, unfortunately,, this part is an issue.

I'll tell you a little secret. You would have to be above SGO to do this, so it's not a position we can give out easily.

Hmm I see, well obviously they would have the admin support staff attitudes and act responsible. But would also have to have a keen interest in the RP community and be actively involved in it here in CoN.
      And obviously all the games will be unranked.
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

Aeblemost wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

HelloI do like your idea, unfortunately,, this part is an issue.

Hmm I see, well obviously they would have the admin support staff attitudes and act responsible. But would also have to have a keen interest in the RP community and be actively involved in it here in CoN.And obviously all the games will be unranked.
      I think what she's trying to get at is it could be used by said player in normal games.
      "I know not what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks & stones."
      -Einstein
      -Kennedy
      "There's a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office I intend to expose this plot."
    • Bacon230 wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

Aeblemost wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

HelloI do like your idea, unfortunately,, this part is an issue.

Hmm I see, well obviously they would have the admin support staff attitudes and act responsible. But would also have to have a keen interest in the RP community and be actively involved in it here in CoN.And obviously all the games will be unranked.
      I think what she's trying to get at is it could be used by said player in normal games.

I dont think so, sur making the games unranked solves it. And Id say some of the Senior Support Staff will pick up on certain abuses when they arise
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

I dont think so, sur making the games unranked solves it. And Id say some of the Senior Support Staff will pick up on certain abuses when they arise
      we can't give powers for certain games. the powers to add or remove units, is a very high ranked power. Anyone with this power can do a lot more than add units, and they would be able to do it in a games... I am trying to see if we can find a solution.
      Aeblemost
      Community Coordinator
      Conflict Of Nations | Dorado Games
    • Aeblemost wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

we can't give powers for certain games. the powers to add or remove units, is a very high ranked power. Anyone with this power can do a lot more than add units, and they would be able to do it in a games... I am trying to see if we can find a solution.
      Ahh I see.. its not simply a case of assigning certain powers to a new role.

Guess we back to square 1
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Summer95 wrote:

How about this;
      The ability to choose military doctrine?
      Nah, would just be kinda bad with North Korea playing with American tech and russia playing with european tech and USA playing with Russian tech. Really we need more doctrines. We can only get 2 more from all my works.. either a British or A french tree and a chinese tree.
      I say a French tree and leave the UK in the current european tree
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • I completely understand the viewpoint of the Developers on this one.

I am a Roleplayer and I also would love to see some new features added to the game which would improve the roleplay aspect, but it needs to be cost/time beneficial for the developers.

Why not tie some of the features into the subscriptions?

That way it would raise revenue while also providing Roleplayers a way to experience certain things which would enhance the experience. Nothing in life is free. Communism doesn't work. Players would still have to pay something in order to get what they want, but at least there would be an option available to them.
      “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived.”

George S. Patton Jr.
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

Summer95 wrote:

How about this;
      Nah, would just be kinda bad with North Korea playing with American tech and russia playing with european tech and USA playing with Russian tech. Really we need more doctrines. We can only get 2 more from all my works.. either a British or A french tree and a chinese tree.I say a French tree and leave the UK in the current european tree
      It's useful though. The RP rules can simply tell you not to,failure to follow results in getting kicked,etc.
      -Einstein
      -Kennedy
    • Oceanhawk wrote:

Summer95 wrote:

How about this;
      Nah, would just be kinda bad with North Korea playing with American tech and russia playing with european tech and USA playing with Russian tech.
      Yes Ocean, that could happen but just like what Bacon pointed out; the people who host RP usually will have set of rules that will dictate what to do and what not to do.

Although the case won't be the same with normal games XD
    • Summer95 wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

Summer95 wrote:

How about this;
      Nah, would just be kinda bad with North Korea playing with American tech and russia playing with european tech and USA playing with Russian tech.
      Yes Ocean, that could happen but just like what Bacon pointed out; the people who host RP usually will have set of rules that will dictate what to do and what not to do.
      Although the case won't be the same with normal games XD
      I was thinking you meant in general, but even so. If units are bought and sold if they kept their original skin maybe that would be cool :P
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu