Conflict Scenario "Able Archer" Development Sneak Peek

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Conflict Scenario "Able Archer" Development Sneak Peek

Shortly before the weekend I would like to give you a little preview on a map / event which we are currently working on.
      It will be loosely based on a "what if" the cold war would have gone hot on a revamped/updated version of the 1980s EU map (yes, including Cuba).

In this Conflict Scenario we are planning to have 24 player nations duke it out across 3 locked factions:

NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
      PACT - Warsaw Pact
      NAM - Non-Aligned Movement

Each of which will have some pre-set units (such as nukes and others, more or less according to real life), yet avoiding an overly complex early game.
      Being a PvP operational war game our aim is first and foremost to provide fun, balance and replayability.

So before you start digging for historically important facts for us to implement, such as "...that the USA considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled “Medium” into USSR, to demoralize them against an anatomically superior American Army." please bear in mind that we would simply like to offer you a new fun game mode over the holidays. With some added fireworks and stuff ;)

Anyone remember this?

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • "...that the USA considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled “Medium” into USSR, to demoralize them against an anatomically superior American Army" ---> HAHAHA. Typically the strategy coming from the deviant mind of all the "wild strategic think-thanks" the US funded in the cold war :D

Theatre Europe. 1985. In this year, I wasn't even a "project" for my parents that, anyways, hadn't met by that time (feel old ? :p)

Eager to see this event/scenario !
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • All fog of war games were closed. We found a bad bug causing server issues - will be repeating the event hopefully next week, when we are sure to have fixed the issue.

Sorry for the disappointment, we were sure to have caught all issues during our weeks of testing :(

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • This seems like it will be pretty cool. I tried to make scenarios like this with my friends, but we always had that one person as france side with soviet russia, and it just never worked out. With the set teams I think this could make a pretty cool idea. you could fight proxy wars among the non aligned nations, I think this could bring in a bit more diplomacy than normal. two things though, will it still be the same modern units or special 1980s ones? (Im just curious on that, I would be fine with either.) The other is also partially a suggestion for this, but I thought of it with the proxy wars. Is there somehow a way to liberate provinces even if they are not an ally? Say russia invaded Sweden (which I believe is not actually in NATO) and NATO wanted to launch a counter attack, but not conquer sweden, would there be some way of Liberating their provinces. That is also something that could help other modes as well. I recently had to pull a gulf war as the US and invade Iraq for invading Kuwait, but I had to just conquer Kuwait when I didn't really need its land. This is for sure not a necessary feature but one that would be nice. It could maybe increase either your morale, or popularity with the world. It would also enable a form of a proxy war.
      If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    • static yoshi wrote:

This seems like it will be pretty cool. I tried to make scenarios like this with my friends, but we always had that one person as france side with soviet russia, and it just never worked out. With the set teams I think this could make a pretty cool idea. you could fight proxy wars among the non aligned nations, I think this could bring in a bit more diplomacy than normal. two things though, will it still be the same modern units or special 1980s ones? (Im just curious on that, I would be fine with either.) The other is also partially a suggestion for this, but I thought of it with the proxy wars. Is there somehow a way to liberate provinces even if they are not an ally? Say russia invaded Sweden (which I believe is not actually in NATO) and NATO wanted to launch a counter attack, but not conquer sweden, would there be some way of Liberating their provinces. That is also something that could help other modes as well. I recently had to pull a gulf war as the US and invade Iraq for invading Kuwait, but I had to just conquer Kuwait when I didn't really need its land. This is for sure not a necessary feature but one that would be nice. It could maybe increase either your morale, or popularity with the world. It would also enable a form of a proxy war.
      Just a note on your signature block. You actually CAN fight fire with fire, non metaphorically. It is a common tactic to stop wildfires.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

static yoshi wrote:

This seems like it will be pretty cool. I tried to make scenarios like this with my friends, but we always had that one person as france side with soviet russia, and it just never worked out. With the set teams I think this could make a pretty cool idea. you could fight proxy wars among the non aligned nations, I think this could bring in a bit more diplomacy than normal. two things though, will it still be the same modern units or special 1980s ones? (Im just curious on that, I would be fine with either.) The other is also partially a suggestion for this, but I thought of it with the proxy wars. Is there somehow a way to liberate provinces even if they are not an ally? Say russia invaded Sweden (which I believe is not actually in NATO) and NATO wanted to launch a counter attack, but not conquer sweden, would there be some way of Liberating their provinces. That is also something that could help other modes as well. I recently had to pull a gulf war as the US and invade Iraq for invading Kuwait, but I had to just conquer Kuwait when I didn't really need its land. This is for sure not a necessary feature but one that would be nice. It could maybe increase either your morale, or popularity with the world. It would also enable a form of a proxy war.
      Just a note on your signature block. You actually CAN fight fire with fire, non metaphorically. It is a common tactic to stop wildfires.
      Lol I was looking at list when I put that down, I think I may change to to If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for only a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
      If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    • Germanico wrote:

Shortly before the weekend I would like to give you a little preview on a map / event which we are currently working on.
      It will be loosely based on a "what if" the cold war would have gone hot on a revamped/updated version of the 1980s EU map (yes, including Cuba).

In this Conflict Scenario we are planning to have 24 player nations duke it out across 3 locked factions:

PACT - Warsaw Pact

Each of which will have some pre-set units (such as nukes and others, more or less according to real life), yet avoiding an overly complex early game.
      Being a PvP operational war game our aim is first and foremost to provide fun, balance and replayability.

So before you start digging for historically important facts for us to implement, such as "...that the USA considered airdropping enormous condoms labeled “Medium” into USSR, to demoralize them against an anatomically superior American Army." please bear in mind that we would simply like to offer you a new fun game mode over the holidays. With some added fireworks and stuff ;)

Anyone remember this?

What is the game you posted a screenshot of? Looks cool.
    • abradyson1 wrote:

Germanico wrote:

PACT - Warsaw Pact

Anyone remember this?

Theatre europe 1985 I believe
    • static yoshi wrote:

abradyson1 wrote:

Germanico wrote:

PACT - Warsaw Pact

Anyone remember this?

Theatre europe 1985 I believe
      Thanks!
    • ABLE ARCHER UPDATE 30 January 2018

We reverted the setting to NATO vs Warsaw Pact with a handful of neutral nations, forced to take sides or stay independent.
      This required some coding, as selecting a locked team from a neutral starting position is something not yet before implemented.

On top of this we sifted through loads of primary sources to get the setting right: Declassified Nato documents, CIA factbooks from 82/84, GDP statistics for the early eighties, and many more.
      Force composition of units on the map is directly derived from several declassified documents concerning the Fall of 1983 in Central and Southern Europe as well as the Atlantic, Med, and Scandinavia.

Our aim is to create as realistic a setup of forces and economies as possible, allowing players to directly step into history and take command.

Each player nation will have a specific pre-unlocked research tree according to the technologies fielded by said nation, with the top tier obviously occupied by the United States and Soviet Union.
      Same goes for buildings, bases, economy stats and the like - all based on the real life historical equivalents, pushing it as far as the game system allows us to go.

Eg. Soviet Union Research Unlocks:

Hope you are as excited as we are about this first scenario.
      More will surely follow in the future if the pickup of this game mode is good...

//G

The post was edited 2 times, last by Germanico ().