Improvement in Airborne troops

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Improvement in Airborne troops

HelloThe Airborne troops that are presented to us in the game when they attack are transferred in helicopters _ I suggest that they were troops that could not only deploy from helicopters but also from transport planes jumping in parachutes

The advantages of this possible change could be a shorter transfer time and a longer range

The disadvantages would be that they were much easier to detect by radar and that by jumping on your target it will take much longer to regroup

However, the inconvenience may be that you might have to add another button and that in the modeling of the unit did not have the Helicopter _ Although another alternative would be to create a completely new unit with the features that I mentioned

Thank you very much

• There are no parachute units currently, and this is per design. Parachutes have pretty much been phased out on an operational and strategic level, tactically they are of course still used.
    The only armed forces currently still maintaining a larger parachutist contingency is Russia and they too are more and more transitioning these troops into air-assault helicopter forces.
    Reasons for this shift are numerous, but essentially date back to WW2 and the rather "flaky" results of large scale paradrops (Market-Garden/Arnheim, Crete to name two of the worst).
    Additionally modern battlefields require copious amounts of munitions and supplies for frontline units to work effectively, with "self-sufficient" paratroopers being nearly impossible to maintain.
    On top of this comes the high risk ratio of modern anti-air and air dominance scenarios - making air transporting large amounts of soldiers into contested air space more than hap-hazardous.

Hope I could explain some of our reasons why we decided to not include paratroopers in our game.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • French army pretty much reservs paradrop (from high altitude) for its special forces, nowadays. Parachutes have a design problem : they have a high accident occurence, even with trained troops, and are counter intuitive with the modern doctrin of "control your space and your movement".

Parachutists die, and trained manpower is the most precious asset of an modern army.

I concur with Germanico on this one : as much swag a paratrooper will always be, they are not a "strategic tool" anymore.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • One thing I would ask with what about paradrop able light armor. Some tanks like the Sheridan were designed to be dropped from cargo planes, onto the battlefield. The cargo plane would fly at low altitude, and have the tank deploy a cargo shoot, pulling it out of the plane. The crew would parachute from a different plane land near the tank, get in it, and drive to the battlefield. This for sure isn't paratroopers, but would be a cool feature, Im not sure if it other countries had vehicles like that or not. If not it could maybe be used as something specific to the Sheridan. Since the maneuver of dropping the tank could be risky, maybe it would have a chance of damaging your unit, making people think about using only when necessary such as quickly getting some armor to infantry under enemy attack or troops behind enemy lines. It would be a cool feature, but it would take some effort to get to work fully.
    If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • oops, i forgot to add a part about things like the CRV being airmobile to my post. I knew those were air assualt able, but that it was still by helicopters (or at least thats the model for it) I was just going off the plane drop thing for the sheridan, but after further research that not many other AFVs could do this, so that due to balancing it wouldn't work well in the game.
    If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.