General game question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• General game question

This game is based on the idea if you win in a battle you are not penalized and you can continue fighting without having to reload or go back to your base? Is that true. It seems it would be easier if everything in the game was based off that general idea. E.G. When you patrol with an Strike Fighter and you kill your opponent you do not have to go back to base but if you do not defeat the opponent you have to go back and try again even if he only took 1 or 2 points. So the same thing also happens during any other battle. E.G. When a Frigate kills a missile it does not have to wait an hour for another Anti Air attack but if a Frigate even attacks a ground unit it will have to wait another hour if it doesnt kill that unit for another Anti Air attack.
    • Germanico wrote:

Actually we will eventually have flight times for air units, forcing them to RTB even on patrol.

This perma-patrol is a legacy and not fair or realistic.
      My dad was a crew chief , he flew on an RC-121 during the cold war , some of these missions were more than 36 hours flight time , prior to air to air refueling.
      With air to air refueling that all us fighters and ground strike plane have , flight time should be very long without the need to RTB unless they enter combat.
    • Liqter wrote:

Germanico wrote:

Actually we will eventually have flight times for air units, forcing them to RTB even on patrol.

This perma-patrol is a legacy and not fair or realistic.
      My dad was a crew chief , he flew on an RC-121 during the cold war , some of these missions were more than 36 hours flight time , prior to air to air refueling.With air to air refueling that all us fighters and ground strike plane have , flight time should be very long without the need to RTB unless they enter combat.
      Ok, but in the game it takes 6 days to get icbms researched from not even having rockets. and 14 days of game time represents about 10 years worth of tech advancements or more. So not everything scales on the same line. If you are thinking the long time frame for patrols is realistic then i assume you want to have 10 days to cross the atlantic, and 15 years to get f-16s from f-5 tigers (59-74 = 15 years)

So i am ok with air units returning on say an hour patrol window.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.
    • War-spite wrote:

So i am ok with air units returning on say an hour patrol window.
      Patrol in your own homeland , 20 minutes RTB , 15 minutes refueling , 20 minutes return to patrol , sound like just enough time to unload air infantry and fly to a new location.
      You need to have some measure of protection during offline time , as it is the AI can buy you a little time but it will not save you if you are attacked shortly after you log off. Patrol time needs to be 8 hours minimum so the defender can plan ahead a little for off line defense .
    • In CoN, if we take as a reference the technological tree for time evolution, we can say that one IG day roughly means one year IRL.

With that in mind, a 36 hour "real time" mission would mean in game an estimated fuel capacity of five minutes. i think that... for the sake of gameplay and mental sanity of players, "realism" will be put behind "gameplay". If planes have a "Fuel time" of, let's say, 6-7 hours in real time, it will already be good enough to forbid "constant repositioning".

To Implement Flight Time will be a good nerf of aircraft over agility, and i hope it will be followed by small re-buffs of cruise
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

In CoN, if we take as a reference the technological tree for time evolution, we can say that one IG day roughly means one year IRL.

With that in mind, a 36 hour "real time" mission would mean in game an estimated fuel capacity of five minutes. i think that... for the sake of gameplay and mental sanity of players, "realism" will be put behind "gameplay". If planes have a "Fuel time" of, let's say, 6-7 hours in real time, it will already be good enough to forbid "constant repositioning".

To Implement Flight Time will be a good nerf of aircraft over agility, and i hope it will be followed by small re-buffs of cruise
      What is going to happen is , people will simply time there attack to your refuel window , meaning , they will follow your air superiority fighter home and wreck the airfield while they refuel , freeing up their Helicopters and strike fighters to do as they please while your interceptors are in a truck. At least that is what i am going to do.
    • Liqter wrote:

Opulon wrote:

In CoN, if we take as a reference the technological tree for time evolution, we can say that one IG day roughly means one year IRL.

What is going to happen is , people will simply time there attack to your refuel window , meaning , they will follow your air superiority fighter home and wreck the airfield while they refuel , freeing up their Helicopters and strike fighters to do as they please while your interceptors are in a truck. At least that is what i am going to do.
      You are? Do you promise? Can we get a match then? I would LOVE to have you use this tactic on me. Your expensive fighters get brought into my sams and AA that i have sitting at the airfield. heck, i will sacrifice an ASF every day to get a nice stack of victims lining up at my door. And BEST of all.. since you are attacking me, i will see the route you flew and what airbase you are at. specfor to the attack. woohoo. or maybe i will ballistic missile you. I know .. infantry rush. take your city (which clearly you leave undefended) sell ALL your buildings and then leave and let it go rogue to spread like cancer. Oh man, I would LOVE you to do that.
      ----------------------

Jacopo: Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris - bam, bam, bam, bam. I'm back before week's end. We spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan?

Remember that no one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb idiot die for his country.