Enemy unit teleport

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Enemy unit teleport

I was protecting a city and it said the tank unit had 18 minutes to reach my city and I left my jets in the city to refuel as they only needed 9 minutes and then to take off would have been within that time...well at 17 minutes my choppers hit the tanks, and with 11 HPs left the tank teleported into my city and took it over and forced my jets and bombers into transport modes... are the timers really 15+ minutes inaccurate?? I spent about 6K gold speeding up an airbase and army base on that city before he hit it to make some units and I lost that gold now..
    • Jump.

Basically, the server, under a certain absolute distance, considers that the distances are "close enough" to launch the fight. Happens with a server refresh (auto, or manual). As there was no ground force beside aircraft, the game calculated that indeed, the tank did killed the last unit, and so, claimed the city.

However, as you were connected, i really don't understand why you didn't flied your unit out of trouble.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Jump.

Basically, the server, under a certain absolute distance, considers that the distances are "close enough" to launch the fight. Happens with a server refresh (auto, or manual). As there was no ground force beside aircraft, the game calculated that indeed, the tank did killed the last unit, and so, claimed the city.

However, as you were connected, i really don't understand why you didn't flied your unit out of trouble.
      because I didnt think it was in trouble...this is terribly unrealistic. I understand maybe 5 minutes but 16 minutes or so is really bad...if they are "close enough" then set the timer to hit zero when they are "clsoe enough", that is my point. Very misleading and a waste of my gold.
    • it is an absolute distance.

16 minutes, in your city, implies that the unit was awfully slow. You mentionned tanks. They were, so, at 0.25 speed in your city.

0.25 is so slow that it means 16 minutes was really meaning "very close".

0.25 is close to the speed of an airborn infantry you would order to travel by ground. To give you a unit, it was the same distance than an infantry in plains would have bee, with a "time" of 6 minutes
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • As Opulon pointed out this is less a problem of time, rather of combat distance. If we had no combat distance it would be quite easy to game the system and skirt around units in certain cases.

I am sorry to hear that you suffered losses to your airforce, but it is extremely risky to leave them so close to enemy forces moving in.

Essentially our numbers always need to be treated with some caution due to the complexity of calculations and systems involved.

In this regards our game may be closer to reality than most people realise...
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • The "suspension of disbelief" explanation i tend to give for that is : On the scale of the game, a unit isn't a mathematic point. a Tank platoon, for example, would put its tanks at a regular distance between each tank, and the accompanying infantry would be sparse over an larger area, for security and flexibility reasons.

So... i imagine more each unit as some kind of a "circle" where the soldiers and vehicles spread, and that represent their coverage, while the timer represents the "gravity center" of the group.

If you played arma, you know the struggle of a bad positioning, where you are calling the "qfjkqdkqjflqhiqorimotherfreaking armored" behind the hill, that are basically 200 meters away, but you are pinned down like children behind rocks.

When two circles begin to cross each other, the fight may begin as the two units, spreaded out, will effectively engage, or conquer the city. I think this represents well the principle of what we called the "grappling zone" in Supremacy.

Now, the only thing that could be related to a bug is that maybe, there could be no "jump" upon conquering a city/province (make us spare 10 minutes each time), true.
    • well if that is so accurate my boats can travel at 6.00 speed and my cruise missiles at 10 speed. Since cruise missiles go 500 mph then my boats are going 300 MPH??!!? PLEASE...

anyway, you pulling out all those numbers is kind of ridiculous. When you have something in a game where people pay for premium content and you cant get a timer within 15 minutes of the actual arrival time that would result in the loss of that paid content, something is wrong. Good thing it is Beta ;)

Simply pointing out a flaw...and it is a flaw.
    • This may be a flaw. However, it's how the engine works, and this was the explanation of what happened to you.

About speeds, many things are not remotely cloe to the reality, for gameplay. As they say to every trainee pilot in all airforces : "Trust your instruments, not your guts", when analysing Conflict of Nations.

Of course, whenever the system can be made more realistic without sacrificing gameplay balance, they are good proposal to hear