Guerilla warfare units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thats why i said 50% of the war was guerrilla in 1974-1975 it was straight between north and south also din bien phu or after the TET offensive when china supplied tanks to Vietnam go to YouTube and watch Vietnam the ten thousand day war not all was guerrilla

Superchan wrote:

Mate everybody knows that North Vietnam used guerilla tactics to stop the Americans, even wiki tells you that

We don't surrender,we win or we die-Omar Mukhtar
      من المبالغة أن ندعو إعلان حماس والجهاد الإسلامي عن تحالف عسكري. إنها رسالة بأن شعبنا متحد في وجه العدوان الإسرائيلي - أحمد ياسين

twitter.com/i/status/1107767831981105153
    • Good points on Vietnam. Thing is: CON is not about asymmetric warfare. And that isn’t going to change anytime soon.

That’s also precisely why we most probably won’t see any Vietnam scenario, although I personally would love to create a game about it one day.

Simulating asymmetric warfare is extremely complicated in game design terms. A little bit we dabble in it with our insurgents, but that’s pretty much it.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Well my point is: guerillas don't just stay in a fortress with their pistols and wait until enemy force crushes them. They rather stop the enemy from advancing forward with their abushes and raids or work in already enemy occupied territory.
      Everyone who knows more than a little about guerilla will tell you that any kind of this warfare is not succesful without population support. Things like accomodation, food, information about the enemy is probably the same thing as logistics in modern military. Doesn't participate in combat but army wouldn't exist without them. So things like morale should also play an important role in the asymetric warfare.
      It depends on the operation, but ussualy guerilla units don't work in bigger than company size unit while as I mentioned before the smallest unit here is batallion.
      Also the way you can beat these units. You can't just send a rocket to defeat all these irregulars. Well... if you send 10 nuclear rockets to make Afghanistan inhabited radioactive place just because you need to destroy Taliban maybe that would work, but I can hardly imagine that. You can't just bring some tanks into the province and defeat the irregular fighters, war then would be pretty simple, wouldn't it? You have to search through people's houses to look for explosives, weapons, catch these guerillas, seek for their their main commanders, etc., etc. But this isn't CSI New York.
      Also the fact from my personal knowledge, most of the lithuanian guerilla fighters in the war against Soviet Union weren't killed in action. Soviet Union infiltrated NKVD agents into the guerilla units so most of the fighters ended the war being tortured, dead or prisoned.
      I write this as an example how to succesfully defeat guerilla resistance, now tell me how can you simulate all these things in this game? I think that's the reason it would be pretty difficult to make guerilla warfare.

BTW, in my opinion most of you (especially Superchan, sorry :) ) understand guerrilla warfare wrong. Guerilla warfare is tactics that can be used by various insurgents, proffesional conventional soldiers or special forces. It's not just poorly equiped rebels that can be built in 3 hours in this game. According to this logic, if I work in corvette and have computers or night vision, I'm a conventional unit, if I hold an RPG in my own fishing boat, I become a guerilla fighter? Whoa, that's not how it works...

''The person, who doesn't defend freedom is not worth for it!'' (lithuanian partisans in the guerrilla war against Soviet Union)