General Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• General Feedback

Having played Supremacy 1914 for several years and Thirty kingdoms for quite a while some time a long while ago, I must say CoN finally gives me, what I always had hope to get from Supremacy. Fights feel more like the effective use of your troops matter instead of just getting a 'lucky shot' or simply having a more massive army. This game also does not suffer from the issue, of having to wait nearly 2 weeks until you can use the really important units.

Leveling system
    Leveling units is nice methode to give people progress and developement and letting the battle field be less static. Though many of the upgrades are kind of misleading in their discription. They say for example, that the upgrade will improve the speed of your unit, which it does, but often the upgrade also influences additional stats like damage, sometimes even massively. The first upgrade for Motorised Infantry increases movement speed by 0.3 and also increase offense and defence vs other infantry by 1, resp. 1.5. They also lose 0.1 vs helicopter, not sure if that is intentional or an oversight. Not every player is so numbers affine as I am, so I think many people it would help, if all those changes would be highlighted with having a different color like yellow. It would also help new players for sure to get a better understanding of the upgrade system.

Also it seems, that the statistic overview has issue with these different levels of units. When I check my profile, I have destroyed 164 units from other players so far. But the statistic itself only summarizes 27, which is not even a quarter of the real. So my guess is, as soon as a unit has reached level 2 or higher, it does not get displayed correctly anymore.

Rogue states
    I must say, uprisings are really harsh in this game, but they kind of add some nice additional tactical options. Though at current state they make far to much of a mess in the daily papers. When there are up to 40 messages of invasion in a news paper, that does feel like a heavy flooding. They take far to much space and should get compressed, for example summarized for every nation. One article and therefore three sentences for every invasion just feels to much.

Also if there is a uprising in a rogue state, the rogue state should grow stronger and not fight itself.

Daily news
    I like how accurate the daily news are and how they show, which units got destroyed. But there seems to be an issue, if units from different types get destroyed at the same time. My troop once killed 2-3 Motorized Infantry and 1 armored scout in one turn, but the daily news only listed the loss of the armored scout. Not sure if that is a bug or intentional.

The Map
    My biggest issue with this game so far is, how messy the battlefield can turn. The harshly limited stack sizes are a nice way to avoid doom stacking, though the visuals don't support this fact well enough. This game needs the ability to zoom in even more, because very often the battlefield turns in such a mess, that you can hardly see where exactly now every unit is positioned. Also movement order are pretty often quite a issue, because you are not able to move them where you want them to move, because the pathfinding automatically clips the movement to a different crossing or even a different lane.

Also this game needs the option to disable animations like the smoke from freshly conquered cities.

A few examples of the mess:
    gyazo.com/a702a8ffeb82aa8e0ca4f709bdb78b62
    prnt.sc/in91tl

Or how smoke sometimes make it hard to see, the estimated shooting range:

gyazo.com/5d60cdabce66dfb41154267f8496486a

Non-city provinces

I also think, we need an overview for all the province, who are not cities. The overview should summarize all provinces, which offer resources or which have buildings in them like Outposts or logistics.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kalrakh ().

• Ah, Another Bitter Vet from Supremacy ? :p Welcome !

I concur with your feedback : they are mostly quality of life suggestions, but i'm glad to see someone else putting in such a constructive way UX updates that would make the game better than it is already.

As the resources provinces are randomly scattered on the map, i don't know if it is possible to get them on the economic view, though.

About the stats, they are less "well done" than Supremacy, I think, but as the team is working on Steam atm, they definitely intend to improve this side
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • I guess, you could call me that for sure and thank you. ;)

It is mainly a summary of my first observation, so yeah quite some quality of life stuff for sure. Though it is hard to tell, which is 'only' quality of life and which is more a possible deal breaker for many new players.

Regarding provinces, I don't know, how they programmed and defined different provinces. Most basic programming would be probably to work with checks:
    'is city: no' and 'has resources: yes' and/or 'has building: yes'

Though I don't know, if it could work that way. Alternatively you probably could just put every non-city province into the other overview, though that will turn pretty messy soon, I guess. But would be still better, than having to check hundreds of provinces for resource or damaged buildings.
  • yes, this is true. Especially if they want to make the infrastructure system more and more expanded... they'll need to got to that point, at once. As you pointed, it can be already really messy in late
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Dear Kalrakh,

thanks for the honest review and welcome to CON (and the forum).

Let me answer or explain some of your findings, hopefully shedding some light on mysteries of the game and its engine...

The Leveling is actually pretty much the same as in COW (or the way it used to be at least) with kills being counted only if the player is active. Meaning that if said opponent is flagged inactive - you will not receive the points.
    Adding to this the fact that the game deliberately doesn't always inform you about said opponent's inactivity this creates room for some serious confusion. Adding to it the delay in the point updates, and you have the recipe for frustration. We know about the issues with our ranking system and it's on our to-do list. Eventually we will try to redo this, making it more responsive and more transparent.

Rogue States are evolving like terrorists tend to do... we just tested a splitting them into groups on our latest Able Archer Beta Event, which was picked up very well and we got some nice lowhanging fixes in store for them, which should help declutter the news and make them more varied and fun. Factually, they aren't even fighting themselves, the messaging system just doesn't know how to deal with them spawning presently. In the future differing organisations will fight each other (look at Syria for a RL example) but as mentioned - this will be a few weeks down the road.

Concerning the map, I can totally see what you mean, especially taking into consideration that you are coming from SUP - which in its visual austerity offered very clean map graphics. This being said I fully concur that we can and should do more to remove clipping, wrong layering and transparency issues, etc. Again, being a small team, we need to prioritize strongly, meaning that these issues will be implemented piecemeal rather than in one big overhaul.

Concerning the overview of NON-City provinces: I tend to disagree on this one - at least I would much rather first have the sorely missed unit-list (aka. order of battle) before creating more tabs or such in the city-roster. Technically it should not be a big issue actually, so I will gladly add it to our task list for estimation and prioritization.

Hope to see you here more often in the future and speak later!

//G
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Germanico wrote:

Dear Kalrakh,

thanks for the honest review and welcome to CON (and the forum).

Let me answer or explain some of your findings, hopefully shedding some light on mysteries of the game and its engine...

The Leveling is actually pretty much the same as in COW (or the way it used to be at least) with kills being counted only if the player is active. Meaning that if said opponent is flagged inactive - you will not receive the points.
    Adding to this the fact that the game deliberately doesn't always inform you about said opponent's inactivity this creates room for some serious confusion. Adding to it the delay in the point updates, and you have the recipe for frustration. We know about the issues with our ranking system and it's on our to-do list. Eventually we will try to redo this, making it more responsive and more transparent.

Rogue States are evolving like terrorists tend to do... we just tested a splitting them into groups on our latest Able Archer Beta Event, which was picked up very well and we got some nice lowhanging fixes in store for them, which should help declutter the news and make them more varied and fun. Factually, they aren't even fighting themselves, the messaging system just doesn't know how to deal with them spawning presently. In the future differing organisations will fight each other (look at Syria for a RL example) but as mentioned - this will be a few weeks down the road.

Concerning the map, I can totally see what you mean, especially taking into consideration that you are coming from SUP - which in its visual austerity offered very clean map graphics. This being said I fully concur that we can and should do more to remove clipping, wrong layering and transparency issues, etc. Again, being a small team, we need to prioritize strongly, meaning that these issues will be implemented piecemeal rather than in one big overhaul.

Concerning the overview of NON-City provinces: I tend to disagree on this one - at least I would much rather first have the sorely missed unit-list (aka. order of battle) before creating more tabs or such in the city-roster. Technically it should not be a big issue actually, so I will gladly add it to our task list for estimation and prioritization.

Hope to see you here more often in the future and speak later!

//G

Thank you.

Honestly I never really played COW. I tried it once, but it did not get me then. It felt like Supremacy just more complicated but not more complexe.

Though you are missunderstanding me. These numbers don't add up:
    gyazo.com/033dfe18efd61a21858780979b0dff3a
    gyazo.com/82d5ec30f9cbb2c7dc02011e9bc8c698

;)

In general, those are just my observations and suggestions, I don't expect them to be implemented instantly. :D

Though true, unit overview would be nice too.
  • Germanico wrote:

Factually, they aren't even fighting themselves, the messaging system just doesn't know how to deal with them spawning presently. In the future differing organisations will fight each other (look at Syria for a RL example) but as mentioned - this will be a few weeks down the road.
    Wait they aren't? In my able archer game in more then just the news, it says that they are at war with each other. In the info screen for their country.

This is for desperate vegetarians (or as I call them the vegan uprisings.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 2.37.21 PM.png
    If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • A new finding:

For the sake of consistency: The order of resources should be always the same.

Apart from that, I would like some option to spend my excess work force on it, like a city project: Use xxx workforce to double city resource production for 24 hours. And yes, you could call this idea to be inspired by Sid Meier's Civilization, I guess.
  • Hello everyone,

@Germanico

I would like to add to his suggestions with which I agree with suggestions concerning the market.

Indeed I think that the economic aspect of the game should be deepened. To work in the world of the web I am fully aware that we must prioritize things. But in the market tab many things seem odd to me:

1) When I post an offer to buy or sell, it does not necessarily appear for other players. It happened to me several times in coalition. I have already responded to an offer to purchase or my resources have been sold, I have received the money, but my ally has never received my resources. I can possibly give you the id of the part that is still going on.

2) I think we should see which country is selling us the resources with a flag. It would be much clearer and it would allow us to be able to select differently the people with whom we do not want to do business.

3) Finally, in my opinion, a notification system should be put in place concerning transactions. A notice of the deed of sale as well as the issuer and the receiver should be sent to both parties.

4) Why not imagine resource donations? The latter would be for example in the form of air and / or maritime bridge. In this way we reinforce team play In this way we strengthen the team game without unduly disadvantage the other players since obviously its commercial bridges can be intercepted!

What do you think ?

Otherwise I can not wait to test a game with the different terrorist factions because I missed the last part able archer 10 minutes ...

Good day to all.
  • @quentinlk

1) For example this scenario:
    Germany is buying 5000 Supplies from the market with 10$ each.
    You put on offer on the market: You would like to sell 2000Supplies for 5$ to your comrades.

The moment you put your offer on the market, you automaticaly buy from Germany. Because Germany has a better offer in place where you would make more money. So the system puts both offers together.
    Result is:
    Germany is buying 3000 Supplies from the market with 10$ each.
    You lost 2000Supplies and your teammates won't find the offer.

2) Not possible. Imagine this scenario:
    Germany is buying 5000 Supplies from the market with 10$ each. You would like to buy Supplies too, so you submit this offer:
    You want to buy 1789 Supplie from the market with 10$ each. After you submitted your offer, this is the result:
    ONE offer with 6789 Supplies (both offers added togeter) with 10$ each.
    In this case, it isn't only one nation behind that offer.

3) Notification spam possible:
    Let me annoy my enemies by accepting their offer thousands time, always buying/selling the smallest quanitity. Resulting in up to 1000 notifications^^

4) This is the very most awesome idea of helping your allies! I love this idea! It's awesome! I'd like to go into a little bit more debt:

3 new units: Air transport; Cargo Ship, Convoy

-All of them in the research tree with some upgrades each.

-The first tier is only unlockable at day X(for example 10). This is to prevent multi accounts from shipping all their ressources to the main account very early on. To hold multiaccounts for a longer time is unusual, since they get eaten by the main account for free in the beginning days, usually. (The fact that Transport units have to be researched and built and ressources manually transported make it a lot harder for multi accounts to abuse this)

-Each transport unit can only carry a very limited amount of ressources. To not make it too complicated, all ressources have the same weight/size. With Air transport the fewest, then Convoy and Cargo Ship the most.

-Only (certain) cities can send and recieve ressources. For example the cities must be homeland cities. Another possibility is to add a new building: Warehouse (or anything similar). That building is needed to send and recieve ressources. However, that would add another building to CoN, which could result in "too many" buildings.

-If a transport unit is lost(killed in action), the cargo is lost too. If a transport unit is damaged, no cargo is lost (for the sake of simplicity).

-All transport units are always "commandable" (you can control it, chose its path)

-There is a long loading and unloading time

-Another possibilty to prevent multi account abusing: Only allow a certain trade deficit. For example a player can only recieve a certain amount (lets say 10k) of ressources [or 25k$ worth of ressources, more complicated though] more than they send to the other player. So the amount of ressources that a multi account can send to his main, is very limited. The trade deficit only affects Player-Player trade, not to be confused with the overall "trade balance" (the player and all of his trades).

-Upgrading the transports can result in: higher speed, more HP, perhaps even defensive value, more transport capacity.

-The cargo ship and convoy are very slow to allow the enemy to attack the transports.

-Convoy is not allowed to have the ability to be airlifted (quite obvious)

If those transport units are implemented like this, or very similar, it adds a whole new aspect in team based games! We finally don't have to use the international market. Multi accounts can't benefit that much. Transports aren't even that easy to use, you have to protect them and time the transports since the ressources will take a while to arrive (ressources that arrive way too late are pretty useless).
  • The achievement system and stats doesn't work at all.

A problem that already existed on CoW. Pretty sure they are working on its overhaul, or at least, are planning to do it not long term :D
  • Well, the stats in CoW have been redone, for the same reason :D

on CoN, not done yet, haha

I agree on your statement. Alas, i think that business requirements were maybe more important in their mind than this level of polish. From what i saw, Steam achievements were working, no ?