General Feedback #2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• General Feedback #2

Kalrakh inspired me to write my thoughts in the forums,
      just like him, I played Supremacy1914 for a very long time and CoN rather short.

1. Overview-Arrangement Cities annexed-occupied

In mid to late game, you sometimes happen to have more than 100 cities, some are your homeland cities, some are annexed cities and some are rather unimportant occupied cities. I would like to seperate the important (annexed and homeland) cities from the unimportant occupied cities. Because right now, at 129 cities, I take quite a bit to find my annexed cities^^ (at least, I cant find them on first sight)

2. Radar-Support Units
      Includes: Combat Recon Vehicle, Mobile Radar, UAV, Awacs, Naval Awacs.
      The main purpose of the units is not to kill, but to scout and look for enemies. In early to mid game, research is very precious. I cant waste time researching units and upgrades that cant kill enemies. Instead of having to level up weak-combat units, I'd much rather focus on units that can kill, like Tanks, Artillery, Ships, Strike Fighters, etc.
      Instead of spending days to research and upgrade one Radar-Support Unit, I simply use the existing high level units to scout:
      Why Awacs if you (can) have Naval Patrol Aircraft? The Naval Patrol Aircraft can even sink ships and subs!
      Why UAVs, Mobile Radars,... if you (can) have Airplanes? They are faster and stronger anyway.

You could say if you spend enough research time on those radar-support units, they can prove themselve useful. But thats a lot of precious research time spent! Researches until unit is maxed:
      AWACs: 6
      Radar: 6
      UAV: 6

This is why I, and maybe many other players, rarely if ever use radar-support units. Until they prove themselves useful enough, you have spent too much research time!
      UAV Stealth? Max level.
      AWACs/Mobile Radar revealing stealth? One level before max.

-> I don't feel like sacrificing so much research time and get only few in return(who doesnt prefer another max level unit that can kill enemies?)

What I propose:
      Do not lower the research costs, nor building/maintenance costs. Neither the production requirements. Either lower the research time siginificantly or have them need less researches (for example 3) to reach max level. That way, less research time is spent on radar-support units and may become a more interesting option for players. -> You sacrifice less research time on other units.

In a game right now, I only had time to start researching AWACs after the other units(Strike Fighter, Air Superiority, Infantry, Naval Patrol Aircraft) were fully reseached maxed.

3. Research Queue

For premium members, there's a queu for building and units, why not for science too?

4. Start of war with aircrafts

Right now, you can set your ground troops' orders to go through enemies(yet neutral) country. Effectively invading him without decleration of war, thus war is decleared when the units cross the border.
      Airplanes act differently though, as soon as you set the order in your enemies territory, it's war. If you ordered your ground troops' advance before, you already recieved your one and single warning that you will cause a war. Thus, your aircrafts wont get the warning again and you accidently declared war a little bit too early.
      Could it possibly be a bug? Or is it somehow intended?

5.Military Logistics too expensive

They are already pretty cheap, yet they cost another 500 fuel. If its only for few provinces, its totally managable. But with high province density (for example Europe), 1 military Logistic doesnt make any difference. The province is so small that your troops will only save a couple of minutes compared to a much bigger province. To have your units move significantly faster, you have to build so many milit. logistics in your tiny provinces that you end up "wasting" a lot of ressources. Furthermore, with air transport movement on ground becomes less important. Instead of decreasing its costs again and again, make the cost adapt to the province size/leght of paths? It would actually be very realistic^^.
      Btw, I cant even shut it off to prevent the enemy moving too fast on my province, maybe add an option for it? (Sometimes you want to keep the logistic because you know the enemy cant reach the province capital in time due to aircraft/artillery bomardement.

6. Disembarking Troops on my beaches

I have Infantry in my city, I see the enemies Infantry running onto my shores. 10.000 troops in the city watching how 10.000 enemy troops are disembarking in front of their eyes. Yet, my troops can't do anything besides watching. As long as the enemy is on the beach, he is invulnurable to my ground troops. I think its somewhat weird.
      How about this:
      Currently, disembarking takes 1h30. Make it 2x45mins! The first 45mins the majority of the troops are still on water, so they act as "naval troops", after half the time, most of the troops are on the beaches, so they act as ground troops and can be attacked by ground forces! (But with a huge defensive penalty if they have any defense power while embarking)

7. Diplomatic Mute option

I once got spammed by a player with 17 messages in less than 1 hour. Its content can be summarized to "hahaha". I couldn't find a mute button. That was a new way of terrorizing a player and warfare, flooding my inbox so I have a harder overview about all the game events. Its also just annoying.

8. Aircraft land transport

Right now, Aircraft transports have 15HP, thats as much as the level 1 infantry! Appearently, those aircraft transports even deal damage to enemy ground troops... at least thats why I think my special forces lost to grounded aircrafts. If you have hundreds to thousands of special forces running against refueling aircrafts, much less then a hundred, I dont expect those refueling aircrafts to hold any minute!
      I suggest: Much less HP, no damage to other ground troops for aircrafts which are grounded.

9. Special Forces attrition

I believe Special Forces get attrition too, on jungle, desert, mountains, tundra. Why though? Arent the special forces trained to fight in those terrains?
    • You know what i love ? constructive criticism. This is a fine example :P

I like particularly the disembark thingy. Sadly, i must inform you that dividing the timer is impossible, for what you want to do. However, maybe close combat troops could get a ship attack value, in order to damage the transports while they are disembarking.

It would have a better D-Day feeling, that way

About Radar, just a remark : Recon Combat vehicle isn't a radar unit, but, as it names implies, a recon units. It "sees", where other units "spot". And its research time is heavily linked to consideration of efficiencies with other ground vehicles.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Opulon ().

• ty^^

Having Close Combat troops an attack value against ships means that Infantry can now attack and sink careless cruisers, even Specialforces can camp at enemy harbors just to destroy a newly built ships :D
      If dividing the timer isnt possible, make it 2 seperate timers? xD

About Radar, Recon Combat vehicle has the similar main purpose of other radar-support units, thats why I included him.
    • I personally think AWACs is actually pretty useful. its radar range is huge. Its good for marking missile targets, and figuring out where to attack. or for early warning. It can do most of the features at level one or two. The other levels for me are if I can't afford other researches or don't need them at the time. AWACS allow you do do alot more with a smaller army, making for surgical strikes. To me its more of a choice, go with the more General purpose large combat army, or you can go with a smaller army, with a couple AWACs and can hit where and where not your enemy is. While I agree a little that they might have too many researches and are a bit more of a late game unit, they are pretty nice, it just depends on play style.

Also yeah, the good ole, aircraft transport truck rammings. I once had 5 whole Modern marine battalions wiped out by the transport trucks. They can be pretty rough, my only guess for it is that the trucks are experts at ramming things. lol
      I also agree a little with the Attrition, Spec ops are desigend to fight in those hard terrains, they should have special equipments that holds up better against it too.
      If you make a man a fire he will be warm for a couple hours, now light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    • Not totally.

A radar unit will show blips while the combat recon vehicle will see units live (with increased visual range)

In early game it isn't very different (and everyone reco with AA plane anyway), but late game, with the mess the map is (BLIPS EVERYWHERE), you usually want recklessly to know "what this freaking unit is". Combat Recon vehicle is of those units that are not that expensive or precious and can go quite close from the ennemy. At this day, Planes for reco have a ... very short life span

About the separate timer, the problem is it's hard-coded since Supremacy (and CoW), they don't change it how they want, because otherwise your solution would be the more interesting, gameplay-wise.

You're very right about the careless ships being shot upon, but maybe it's a collateral small problem for a "nearly working" D-Day feature :p.
      The ship value doesn't need to be that high anyway, it can just "weaken" troops. Something like a "2" for motorised infantry, for example ^^. If you manage to get a full stack of those in def, you can kill a full transport per hour.

Or a cruiser if brave enough. Remind me of supremacy, that :p
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • static yoshi wrote:

I personally think AWACs is actually pretty useful. its radar range is huge. Its good for marking missile targets, and figuring out where to attack. or for early warning. It can do most of the features at level one or two. The other levels for me are if I can't afford other researches or don't need them at the time. AWACS allow you do do alot more with a smaller army, making for surgical strikes. To me its more of a choice, go with the more General purpose large combat army, or you can go with a smaller army, with a couple AWACs and can hit where and where not your enemy is. While I agree a little that they might have too many researches and are a bit more of a late game unit, they are pretty nice, it just depends on play style.

Also yeah, the good ole, aircraft transport truck rammings. I once had 5 whole Modern marine battalions wiped out by the transport trucks. They can be pretty rough, my only guess for it is that the trucks are experts at ramming things. lol
      I also agree a little with the Attrition, Spec ops are desigend to fight in those hard terrains, they should have special equipments that holds up better against it too.
      He doesn't said it wasn't useful. His remark concern the availability of the unit versus combat unit. Due to the research time scarcity, it's a real question, and i do concur that in nearly EVERY case in early (even with a bit of gold), you will make combat units instead of radar units because "Sword is mightier than the... glasses ?"

It's in mid you may plan to research Awacs to improve your radar ability without creating fatal holes in your OOB :D
    • Hello,
      1) You can already search very quickly for your *important* cities under administration by sorting cities by manpower or ressources, or money, or looking on mobilisation slot. Not important cities have not mobilization slot, have less mony, less manpower, less ressources.
      2) If we get less time to full research of those usefull support units, we have another way more troubles with fun-killer players (forbidden topic)
      3) No, that would lowering encome of devs, also lowering quality of game.
      4) Sorry, but if someone moved already a land units to enemy porvinces it is own fault if he move airforces too early and misses another warning. And it is anyway better to declare war, before attacking, also make backstabbing more easely is not good, no need more warnings for airforces move in, after warning of land unit on the way.
      5) Also little fix would be helpful, more expencive mil. log. for greater provinces would kill any chance for great countries, like Russia, China, Canada USA and so on. And you dont need trun off mil. logs, enemy cant use it already, enemy cant even see you have mil.logs. in provinces.
      6) that is display bug. disembarked units reseive damage from land units.
      7) really good advice. We wait since many years for this an CoW, nothing happen. May be CoN could have better chat/messenger administration.
      8) Sure grounded aircrafts shouzld have fighting stats. They are really weak on soil, what is your problem? Grounded aircraft have armed guards on soil. Not aircraft fiht vs other landunits , but a stuff.
      9) Because of game balancing? We dont need terminator units here. *censored word* dreams of *Chuck Norris*+*Rambo* Units is not right on CoN. Capito, signore?
    • 5) I think, he means, that smaller provinces should be less expensive, not that bigger provinces should be more expensive. Some provinces are so small, you hardly even see them. Though my guess would be, that sucha change would be a lot of work, if there does not already exist a value for province size definition.
      6) When you attack a disembarking unit with a land unit, you get the message, that this attack won't cause any damage.